Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

jalopybrown posted:

Probably sounds dumb but I was struck by how her family don't even acknowledge he was transgender and just say "oh she was a lesbian"

To me, the scariest part is just how many trans people are killed every year, especially poor black and Hispanic transwomen. This week is Transgender Week of Remembrance, actually, so if nothing else see if a group in your area is holding a candlelight vigil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What forum is the Everest thread in?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I like your writing and this isn't a case that's ringing bells for me despite my general interest in serial killers, so please continue, wyntyr :allears:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

flosofl posted:

I seem to remember seeing either a documentary or true crime show like Forensics Files (except I seem to remember it being longer than a 30 min show - but my memory is bad). Does anyone remember that one? I remember being horrified when I saw it. The only other documentary (that I've seen) that did that was the one on HBO about the Iceman (the professional assassin).

It was Forensic Files. I remembered the episode as soon as I got to the "blu w/wht" description of the boat. It helps that I only recently finished watching every episode of that show Netflix has available.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Beaten to that book recommendation. I finished it pretty recently and thought it was a good read about one of the Antarctic expeditions that's not thought of as much compared to men like Shackleton.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In Albuquerque's defense, we're actually prosecuting the cops who shot a mentally ill homeless man in the back. And the old DA is resigning. And the price of living is cheap.

Edit: If there's interest, I can type about the murder of Lois Duncan's daughter along with all of the bizarre coincidences that pop up when she gets psychics involved. Would just have to find my copy of her first book about it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Apr 20, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I cannot find my copy of Who Killed My Daughter and had to request a copy at the library. For some reason, they don't have the second book about the murder, One to the Wolves at all :tinfoil: . I just bought the Kindle version.

Droogie, I love your writing.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I swear, it's a miracle APD gets anything done right. The police department in the town of 10k people I grew up in probably has a better solve rate on murders. I've lived here for six years and I love it but there's a reason I never bother calling in probable gunshots. I live on the far east end of the East Central Corridor and there's honestly no point because nobody will find anything if I do report it.

Droogie, your job and my volunteer life slightly overlap. If we ever meet we can talk about dealings with feral cats as well as creepy poo poo.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Related to the talk of NYC's potter's field a week or so ago, 192 Days As John Doe is about the work put into identifying those who die without a name. The site is formatted weirdly, but it's a nice shorter read.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

E: Accidental double post

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've read a book about this, but reading your style and seeing how those unfamiliar will react is going to be great :syoon:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Droogie posted:

Was it The Devil's Butcher Shop or The Hate Factory? I've read the former. It's good. I'm not going to go into all the politics and I'm not going to go into minute play by play details, but I'm going to do a pretty decent primer and overview. At least that's what the 3,500 words on it I've written so far looks like.

It was the first. My copy of it is floating around the box totes in the apartment.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Reading this gives me the impression that Aki has severe, untreated OCD. He seems obsessed with bodybuilding and muscles which makes his mind create the compulsion to measure and touch and ask people to demonstrate their strength to him. All he needs is a good therapist and the right meds :smith:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

When people say to Keep Albu-quirky, this isn't the type they mean but it's the type I love. Of course we had some other active serial killer. Of course we did. We probably still do, what am I saying?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

People say that? That's...unsettling

I saw a bumper stick saying that at the mental health center I used to go to!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The most unnerving thing to me about Tasmania has always been that they killed off every last Aborigine living on the island.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It's nice to know what I've heard was wrong about the Tasman Aboriginals. Thanks for the education, thread.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The book that became the show a lot of you are talking about, The Anatomy of Evil goes into a lot more detail about what determines where people fall on the scale and why people got the numbers they did. Lots of examples, methodology that seems solid to me, and written in an accessible manner. I got it for SASS last year and really enjoyed the read.

Then again, my longest wishlist on Amazon is called Crime Books, so I'm endlessly fascinated by the subject matter.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Netflix has a show called Curious And Unusual Deaths. They're equal parts funny and unnerving to me, like a fisherman who took a nap under his truck only to have the tide come in extra high so he first got crushed by the truck and then drowned.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I came across this article today about a fire that burned so hot the fire hoses were essentially shooting steam at it. Six firefighters got trapped and died as a result of the maze-like conditions inside the abandoned building.

http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a1098/perfect-fire-0700/

ETA: And this one is more proof that Albuquerque is one weird rear end place to live.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Girly_Chew_Hossencofft

Lord Zedd-Repulsa has a new favorite as of 08:26 on Mar 13, 2017

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've seen the footage and the book is on my Amazon wish list. I get a pretty constant supply of long form articles in my email daily, so I'll try to post more of the creepy or unnerving ones here. Anyone think there would be interest in a PYF Long Form Article thread?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Longform article thread is over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813353

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I just looked and The Gift of Fear is available free for people with Kindle Unlimited :toot:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Dogs that don't give warning before they attack have likely been abused by their owners into thinking that growling and the like will lead to punishment. Those are important safety signs that a dog is too stressed or afraid to feel safe and essentially abusing them out of the animal never leads to good things.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

M_Sinistrari posted:

This one's unnerving in that it's so close to home, I was heading down with my fiance to sign our lease renewal when everyone was about to go into the apartment in question. We had a feeling it was going to be something bad when we saw the cops snapping on the latex gloves.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/homicide-investigation-madeira-and-ross/4958972/

There've been a lot of murders so far this year in ABQ. I know the article mentions the number at the bottom, but 44 by June 21 feels really off for a city of this size.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Jun 22, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

christmas boots posted:

You’re right, wrong death cult

Yeah this needs to be the new title

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If anyone reading this gets the type of intrusive thoughts we're discussing often enough that it interferes with your daily life or causes distress, please find a psychiatrist. It's a common form of OCD that can be managed with medication and therapy. I suffered from this for literal decades, convinced that it meant I was one moment away from killing myself or someone else.

There is hope. There is help. You are not alone. If you don't know where to begin, PM me.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The unnerving part is the building layout.

Apparently the circle is a spiral staircase and the roof was locked. No wonder 33 people died.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That is one hell of a story.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Good to see you again! I'm in a chill local goon Discord if you ever wanna try socializing as you get your mental health back. Just say the word and I'll send an invite.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Mass murderer is probably the best term, imo, for people who kill repeatedly without sticking to the patterns and/or souvenir taking most associated with serial killers.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

As someone else who loves your videos except for those grating moments, please look up the words you're not sure of, or even ask your DIscord crew for help. I, at least, would chip in.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My immersion's not ruined, but having to figure out what word was intended can sometimes be tricky.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've been using a cane since I was 22. I'm 37 now. It, and everything else related to being disabled young, sucked hard, but these days it's just an extension of my arm that means I can stand in lines without agony. Getting nicer ones helped a lot at first.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've been following that through The Cult Education Institute on Facebook and tragedy is too kind a word for this. Lots of the bodies are children and/or show signs of beating and suffocation along with starvation. Will the number of bodies ever equal the number of missing persons? Sadly I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, they're also blaming the crew for being under a Singaporean flag.

Flags of convenience should be illegal imo. I don't know if he's expanded on this in replies, sorry.

https://twitter.com/Dazzleox/status/1772595115355189388