Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There was a thread in Old GBS about the feet thing, and my favorite response was 'What if they test them and they all come back as the same person?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its not like people have a finite amount of sympathy though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Articles like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future unnerve me a lot more than stuff about serial killers and the like. Just reading about all these events that are due to happen millions of years into the future that will render everything done by every person everywhere irrelevant isn't pleasant to think about.

Though I suppose it could stop you from worrying about whether or not someone feels sympathy for Jeffrey Dahmer because one day there will be no evidence that you, Jeffrey Dahmer and the concept of sympathy even existed.

I dunno, I like to think that if we're still around for half of this poo poo we'll have outgrown the need to live on Earth. Maybe that's just wishful thinking though.

Parts like this make me really sad though :smith:

Wiki posted:

2 million[Years] Estimated time required for coral reef ecosystems to physically rebuild and biologically recover from current human-caused ocean acidification.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe, I mean honestly we've only been studying subatomic stuff for a couple short decades and we've barely touched the surface on what things really are like in the deepest chasms of the quantum world. Maybe the universe does decay into wavelengths and noise but maybe it doesn't. Maybe its not really a closed system like we think, maybe there's some hereto unobserved quirk of subatomic magic that causes the universe to go all Big Bang every couple sextillion years, hell, maybe entropy doesn't really work like we think it does. Humanity has been poking holes at the universe for millennia and we've been dead wrong 99% of the time, who's to say we're right about this? And even if we are mostly right, its not beyond imagination that we find a way, in the countless eons between then and now, to 'fix' it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Wait if his friends could reach him to give him crackers and set up lights, how did he die of starvation and exposure? Did no one think to ask his friends to drop in a Twinkie or something?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Read the article, it said part of the tunnel collapsed. They weren't able to reach him at all for almost 2 weeks.

Oh duh, yeah my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm assuming they make nuclear warheads in such a way that it would be damned near impossible to set one off by accident. Like, you cant walk up and hit one with a hammer Bugs Bunny style to set it off....right?

Right, by and large a nuclear bomb needs a precise series of detonations going off just so for everything to go a bit mushroomy. Not saying its impossible for that to happen accidentally, but these things have been in bombers as they crashed and didn't go off.