Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wow, they're called haikus you racist

:golfclap:

That poem is legit unnerving though. It sort of let's you into the mind of a legitimately crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Guys. This is comedy forum Something Awful dot com. People are going to say ridiculous poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Right, but you'd so be spared the secondary effects of pain induced stress, and likely be healthier overall for it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
How legitimate is this stuff about scopolamine. I'm not trying to be a naysayer it just sounds a bit like an email forward or one of those SCARY RUMOR stories on Facebook.

In a carefully administered dose, by a doctor, it can cause some memory loss? Sure.

Getting a handful blown in your face means you turn into a zombie slave up to and including emptying your bank account and loving the guy who blew it on you? Eehhh. Maybe not.

I can't seem to find any hard evidence with googling, just a dozen unsourced stories and a Vice documentary. How reliable is Vice? I watched it and it seems more clickbait than reasoned investigation.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Man, I don't know how those guys interpreted state law, but locking up a c2 should be a pharmacist's responsibility not a tech's. Or at least, that's how it worked in Texas when I was a tech. (DFW area and Houston area).

I also just cannot imagine a pharmacist NOT locking up tincture of opium especially if the walls were compromised. That's a good way to get fired and potentially lose your license to practice pharmacy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Finding his head took a couple of hours, but at least the left arm and part of the torso were easy to find, as they were jammed in the truck's grille. I don't think he's ridden a bike since.

I sure hope not, it's hard to control a bike with one arm and no head.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Eh, the animals and insects take care of it pretty quick.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The worst part for me is the very last part in the wikipedia article, when she's admitting it/talking about it in her parole hearings?

She really does seem like she has some sort of mental illness, she either barely remembers what happened, or knows something she did was wrong, and can't remember why she did it. And the response to this is just to shrug and put her back in jail to rot for two more years, rather than get her any help. So you just have this mentally ill woman who is simultaneously saddened by the death of her children, and also completely confused as to why she did it in the first place, sitting in a jail cell for 2 years between attempts to try and get out.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can get durians in every Asian market ever, so I would assume only really rural Americans who also never watch food or travel shows wouldn't know what one is.

Not knowing what they smell/taste like I can see, but durians are certainly recognizable to at least a decent chunk of the population.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

This may seem like an odd one, but it's one specific thing about the disorder that unnerves me.
OCD has one extremely specific diagnostic criteria that almost no other mental disorder has.
Egodystonia.
This means that the person in question has to be totally aware that what they are doing is irrational or unnecessary (or to phrase it another way, nuts.)
It freaks me out that someone can see what they're doing, know it is an insane thing to be doing, and have absolutely no power to stop doing it.
I really can't imagine being utterly helpless like that not because of some external force, but because your own brain is simply overriding you. It scares me to even try to imagine it.

OCD isn't the only egodystonic mental disorder, there are quite a few. Depression could be considered egodystonic after cognitive behavior therapy, a common statement by depressed individuals seeking therapy is 'I know it's stupid that I'm this depressed, but I just can't break out of it'. Tourette's Syndrome is just as egodystonic as OCD, and there are quite a few other mental issues that, once you get them pointed out, are completely understood to be unhelpful or bad even in the grips of it.

I have Tourette's (and, like most people with Tourette's, I have some OCD symptoms as well) and it is utterly maddening to sit there and feel the urge to twitch build up and get stronger. There's little you can do to make the feeling go away, except twitch. There are also certain materials that, on bad days, I just can't even touch. For me it is specifically cardboard, and very dry cotton balls (it's weird as hell, I know) and it is super annoying. I can usually make myself do it if I have to, even on my worse days, but I have to go wash my hands like 4,000 times an hour to get past it. I agree with the other poster where I wouldn't exactly call it creepy, but it is highly annoying.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've seen that in my own life. Some crazy bum broke into my house once while my roommate and I were home, he held my roommate a knifepoint and demanded cash from the both of us. I gave him what we had on us, and then he told me to get into the closet while he took my roommate to go look for more stuff to steal. She wouldn't move, she was completely paralyzed with fear and didn't even look like she was hearing a word that was being said. She didn't speak or move (other than to sit in a chair) until the cops got there later on.

Something vaguely similar happened to me once. After a really bad car accident, where I was more or less completely unhurt, apparently I just sat in the front passenger seat for the twenty minutes it took the ambulance to get there, and didn't react or respond at all until the ambulance guy got the crunched-in door open. I could've easily crawled out the driver's side door, or gone over the back seat, but I was just 100% nonresponsive until the moment they opened the door on my side.

It apparently really freaked my friend who had been driving out, because it was like I was in a waking coma.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

That's actually a good case study on why torture doesn't work. In the end though the entry of the Soviet Union to the war against Japan had more to do with their surrender than anything else; the US blowing away entire cities in a single day was just business as usual whether it came from one bomb or thousands.

That is an argument against the bombs. However, there is evidence both that it both is and isn't legitimate. If we're going to have this argument, then we should make our own thread thought, it's one of those topics that can get tempers going and would massively derail this thread if it got started in earnest.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

Getting tested is one thing, paying for it is another.

I assume the police department would pay for it in this case.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Your Sledgehammer posted:

We're not all bad, you know. Some of us were born here and would rather be somewhere else...and there's always Austin :chillout:

But I'm guessing you're a butthurt Floridian who doesn't want to feel like he lives in the worst state of the union (hint: it's Mississippi, you dumbfuck)

This is almost a meme on something awful. There are a few posters who just love to jerk off about how we should kill all the (Texans/Southerners/etc.) because of (reason.) Texans are super varied, and there's even a pretty large contingent of liberalism, especially in the major metroplex areas like DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. People like Frostwerks are just the left wing's version of Freepers, barely putting any thought or effort into their beliefs so long as they can attack some mysterious, all terrifying Other.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

Fixed that for you, just to highlight one of the main reasons everyone hates Texas.

[1] citation needed

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

Citation: Any one of countless pro-Texas threads in GBS started by the likes of roboshit or texaholic or whoever. Have fun searching for them because I sure as poo poo ain't.

*cites GBS, nods smugly to himself about owning someone.*

vvvvv lol look it this guy taking some light ribbing super seriously. vvvvv

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Nov 22, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah it's just not physically possible. The stomach only holds so much without rupturing and live things tend to do stuff like bite, or have poisonous or at the very least sickness causing internal organs that are usually removed when preparing them. It sounds a lot more like some combo of those kids that are never full because of a damaged amygdala and those guys who ate random poo poo for carnivals and invented a thing. Especially with his physical description being a dude with too big a mouth and who never gained weight. It just doesn't fit.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

One of the reasons people with that syndrome die is massive chronic obesity. It doesn't fit.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Good News Everyone posted:

But why did he continually confess to anyone who would listen?

Because his IQ is only a few points higher than yours.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Good News Everyone posted:

thinking that sticking to his story was his best bet (to answer my question about repeated confessions).

A lot of mentally retarded people just can't let something go, no matter the evidence staring them in the face that its a good idea to do so. They just keep repeating themselves with slight variations until people get bored of hearing them. A lot of times, they also lean on outside sources of influence (the police, famous philosophers, etc.) to try and bring validity to what they're saying. Sadly all it ever does is make them look desperate to be correct.

edit: vvv But she's suuuper deep guys, like what if man, we'll never know. *bong rip* vvv

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Dec 12, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

In case you're confused, a rolled up wrestling mat is approximately an even tube across the entire length of the thing. If you put a basketball in the middle, you're going to have a difficult time making either end significantly narrower than a basketball.

You don't know how flexible things work. It is quite easy to think of a way to wrap something more tightly at the ends than the middle of something is in there. As a slightly off example, a piece of bubble gum in a wrapper.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

And you apparently don't know what a wrestling mat is.

A flexible foam pad that could easily be rolled with a bulge in the middle.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

If you've ever seen a giant high school wrestling mat you'd know that no, they're massive heavy things, and you couldn't possible end up with one end significantly narrower than the other side and then stand it upright.

I have and you're wrong. I'm not sure what this is contributing to the discussion though, since we're both just sort of saying nu-uh, uh-huh back and forth. But I've never had the privilege to argue with someone who so patently ignores reality in an attempt to one up every other poster in the thread and be right constantly. It's like we have our very own home grown Andy Schlafly. So please, go on. :allears:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Try it with objects at your desk, pieces of paper and whatever else you've got. Your two "exits" are going to be approximately the same size as your middle unless you do some really, really weird twisting in an attempt to do it on purpose.

It's possible for your innermost "ring" to be narrower, yes, but pressure from the inside can expand it to match. I'm seriously confused how you think that the opening of a non-stretchy, semi-rigid material can be significantly smaller than an object stored inside when rolled from one end.

You are literally the dumbest person in the world, holy poo poo. It is so very simple to understand how you can have a bulge in the middle and still have the ends be narrow that I wonder if you've ever left your mother's basement and interacted with objects in the real world.

And before you spout off LOL THE ENDS ARE THE SAME SIZE AS THE MIDDLE - it would be trivial to wind the outsides more tightly. It is also trivial to imagine that you could do a less extreme version of this with a smaller, or longer object in the center so that the ends were only a little more tightly wound than the middle.

Am I misunderstanding your point, or are you just completely unable to comprehend three dimensional shapes?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Are you seriously comparing a sweet wrapper to a wrestling mat

I have no dog in this fight and the case itself is barely interesting never mind scary or unnerving, but you can't roll a wrestling mat into a tube, with some large object in the centre of said tube, and have one end be significantly narrower than the other, and I'm struggling to understand why so few of you are grasping that.

I have seen it done before, so I don't know why you and one other person keep claiming that it can't happen?

edit: Plus the other guy said you couldn't do it with anything, and even suggested trying to use paper to show that it couldn't happen.

Disregarding all of that, peoples' shoulders can hunch inward and become smaller than their full width, thus negating this whole thing even further than actual geometry does all on its own.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Dec 18, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I just want to point out that he specifically said it couldn't be done unless you twisted the ends, as your sweet wrapper proved, ironically.

We used to do it back in high school, we'd roll someone up in one and it'd look like a snake swallowed them. It's pretty easy to see how a bulge could cause the foam to expand around the middle, but not on the ends where there's nothing inside the roll to force it outward.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Atmus posted:

That seems a little insulting to the nuclear waste, to be honest.

Yeah, at least the nuclear waste wasn't always trash.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah. On the topic of incorruptibles. It's not really all THAT odd that when you separate a corpse from air, keep it in a cool, dry, clean place out of the sun, and possibly anoint it with oils and/or smoke that might have antimicrobial properties, you sometimes don't see a lot of obvious decay.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Christ, I remember seeing that on Tomorrow's World as kid. It kind of sucks that he took the formula to his grave but he's not Tony loving Stark - someone else will figure it out eventually, surely?

Yeah, it's not that big a deal. If someone gets ahold of a sample, we can make it again. There's just legal bullshit in the way right now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You've got those Scots who ate people in a cave too. There's a long history of it, but it's possible that modern society allows for it to be more common.

It's equally likely that poor records, poor policing, and the general lack of communication at the time have covered up evidence of historical ones.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
S/he's just saying it's understandable after poo poo like Tuskeegee and all that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I agree. But it's a grieving family of disadvantaged minorities in America. It's absolutely the fault of the family for not listening to the advice of the medical world, but it is also the medical world's partial fault because of the lack of trust between them and a subset of their patients. It's also partially the fault of the religious nutjobs who tell the family that God will heal her. And probably a few other people too for good measure. The world rarely breaks down into a binary guilty/innocent paradigm, even if we're trained to think that way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

eightpole posted:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider :magical: :stonklol: :gonk: :gonk:

:rolleyes:

What's next, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean ?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

The New York Times first reported the phenomenon of crinoline-related casualties in 1858, when a young Boston woman, standing by the mantel in her parlor, caught fire and within minutes was entirely consumed by flames—an unfortunate incident that came on the heels of nineteen such deaths in England in a two-month period. Witnesses, impeded by their own crinolines, were forced to watch the victims burn. “Certainly an average of three deaths per week from crinolines in conflagration,” the Times admonished, “ought to startle the most thoughtless of the privileged sex.” A similar tragedy occurred shortly thereafter in Philadelphia, when nine ballerinas burned to death at the Continental Theatre.

What the gently caress? When three people a week start exploding into fiery infernos, then maybe it's time to stop wearing that bit of clothing. How were people just ok with the fact that they might go up like a match at any moment?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, we'll probably never know what we'll really do in that situation so who cares. Rich people die on a mountain when other rich people don't or can't save them. It's just a lovely situation.

Rich people dying is never a lovely situation. :v:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

Meanwhile as (at least) a seventh-generation Okie I felt really claustrophobic and hemmed in in truly big cities where you can only see a sliver of the sky directly above you.

As a Texan who regularly drives the flat desolation between DFW, Houston, and Austin, I enjoy all places. :smugdog:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That crab thing is most likely true. Especially if she had a wound somewhere on her abdomen for them to have entered. Crabs are resilient, and a huge feast of dead things is right up their alley, plus that's how they eat things like dead whales at the bottom of the ocean. They move quick as gently caress too once something gets in the water.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You could record it directly as it plays rather than ripping it. VLC probably does it.

I'm almost positive that VLC will do this. Please upload it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pookel posted:

The Winchesters' baby died of marasmus? Wikipedia says:

That's not actually disease, it's just starvation. I wonder if it was caused in this case by some other disease not recognized at the time, or if it was as simple as untreated failure to thrive. Either way, depressing.

This confused me too, I was actually just googling to make sure I wasn't misremembering and would've posted something similar to this if you hadn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

flosofl posted:

It is to Be Considered an Angel which had been subject to the Cruel and Deplorable Depredations of Satan's Foul Imps. Wounded and Unable to mount an Ascent to the Golden City, it was Nursed with Great Care and Gentleness of a Pious Family. Upon Recovery the Angel, heretofore injured in a manner Most Grave, Ascended to rejoin the Legions of the Heavenly Host.

2/10 Otterguy roleplay, use more bolding.