Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Medieval Medic posted:

Of course the weirdo had a lithsp.

To my knowledge, he didn't have a noticeable lisp, he was almost certainly hosed up on sedatives here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Also in disturbing cetacean news, check out this bizarre as gently caress 1960s experiment to teach dolphins to speak English:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/08/the-dolphin-who-loved-me

It's weird as hell and totally unethical - and that's even before they start injecting the dolphins with LSD.

(artist's impression)

Apparently they would paint their faces black and their lips white so the dolphins could see their mouths better.

This is one of the craziest loving things I've ever read.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nckdictator posted:

Maybe it's just misguided outrage on my part but it pisses me off that Landis still found work in Hollywood after that.

quote:

Both Folsey and Landis did read remarks at Morrow's funeral. "If there is any consolation in this," Folsey told the assembled mourners, "it is that the film was finished. Thank God. This performance must not be lost. It was Vic's last gift to us."

Landis' eulogy sounded equally self-serving and clumsily ironic. "Tragedy can strike in an instant," an obviously distraught Landis said, "but film is immortal. Vic lives forever. Just before the last take, Vic took me aside to thank me for the opportunity to play this role."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you want some interesting sports weirdness, check out the story of Bison Dele, who was most likely murdered by his brother.

SI did a very compelling and detailed longform piece that can be found here.
Someone literally brought this up at random at a party to me. Was it you? The mom comes off extremely bad in this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Old Boot posted:

The creepy as hell thing, for me, in this, is the total lack of disaster preparedness that we have in a great deal of hospital, counties, cities, states, etc, and that it defaults to relying on people who are working off of so much fatigue and anxiety based on the total lack of response (throughout the entire thing, no matter how much they tried to communicate) from their parent company (Tenet) that they thought that euthanizing people during an evacuation is their best course of action. If it was in the thick of it, I could understand.

All in all, the story of Memorial sucks for the patients, and the doctors.

EDIT 2: There was a similar situation that happened with Hurricane Sandy.

Great read. I think one of the creepiest things in the world is our precarious sense of security in developed countries. We're all like a week or two away from helplessness from lack of food, clean water, medicine, transportation, etc., but not only do we not seem to be too concerned about it, we are incredibly smug about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dear god, that photo.

Fuckin' A, you weren't kidding.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Daily Mail accusing an immigrant of a crime? Why I never!

Anyway, this poo poo was solved ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhMZnPVh1Rs

He was a mean guy...ungood, if you will.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RevSyd posted:

Here's the definitive book on that scenario: Motel of the Mysteries, which is about a famous archaeological discovery in the year 4022.

The authors point is that while archaeologists are truly dedicated to their work, once history gets remote enough their guesses are just that. The book is really funny because all of their guesses are wrong... its "present day" seems equivalent to about the nineteenth century, and the grand burial plaza they uncover is just a 20th century motel. It never occurs to the archaeologists that the civilization they've uncovered might have been more technologically advanced than their own.

How these ceremonial accoutrements may have been worn (note the outhouse in the background). When they uncover the parking lot for instance, they confidently assume that the rusted metal coffins they find were designed to transport souls to the afterlife, since they are all labeled with the names of powerful ancient gods and totems (Saturn, Thunderbird, Eagle, Ford etc.)

Then there are the misfortunes that befall some of the excavators... the dreaded and mysterious Curse of Toot n' Come In.

I just bought this book in hardcover thanks to this post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nckdictator posted:

We really need a true crime thread.

There's an idea.

Wildeyes posted:

The "Silent Twins," June and Jennifer Gibbons of Wales

The movie based on this case is pretty good, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let's not neglect the fantastic HBO documentary on it: There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Apparently the HBO documentary on it tries to argue that tooth abscesses caused her to get totally smashed in order to dull the pain. I guess her second attempt was fairly successful.

Her husband sounds like a total jackass who won't admit to himself that his wife had a drug problem.

Yeah it takes a different tack somewhat, which is interesting given the reading in this thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Double Plus Good posted:

I honestly thought you guys were being facetious with the title of that documentary.

It's a loving great title.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Juan posted:

To be fair a 99% conviction rate could mean that they just don't prosecute criminals unless they are sure they can get a conviction. Maybe I'm being optimistic but a conviction rate like that does not necessarily mean that innocent people go to jail.

That's being extremely generous. No police force on Earth could possibly be so keen or efficient.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BurroughsBane posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch Southcliffe. It's on Netflix, and according to wikipedia, follows the events and personal repercussions of a mass shooting in the fictional town of Southcliffe, the events and location of which contain very strong similarities with the Hungerford massacre. It's pretty good and the acting alone is incredible moving.

I second. It's still my favorite of all the "Netflix Original" stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I think the last episode was a huge letdown, but 1-3 were both amazing and horrifying.

Yeah, you have to love an anticlimax, I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

Brian Dunning didn't sell Skeptoid. He just can't host it right now because he's in federal prison for massive fraud:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dunning_%28author%29#Wire_fraud_case

He bilked amazon out of millions with malware he hid in banner ads.

Haha, holy poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

chalk posted:

Watching The Homesman last night led me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_madness

There's something disturbing about so many lonely, desperate people heading out into a giant flat nothing, and being driven insane by the sheer difficulty and frustration of even surviving. Despite a lot of the accounts being embellished or fictionalised, it still happened enough for it to be a recognised phenomenon.

Driving through Kansas or Wyoming or something is enough to give you prairie madness, I can only imagine what it's like to be some kind of homesteader.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Literally Kermit posted:

Also the reason why the Twin Towers looked so much like a controlled collapse wasn't because of secret explosives or anything, it did exactly what it was designed to do, which was pancake downward. The chance of a skyscraper staying intact and just falling over lengthwise, killing far more people, just didn't test well with focus groups, so the architects have to take in worst-case scenarios into consideration.

This is something I learned as a drat kid, by the way, after the '93 bombing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Frog Act posted:

Whats a good alternative to Sword and Scale? I've finally given up on it because the dude is a moralizing twat idiot who ruins his show despite being really good at gathering and presenting primary sources

None really, unfortunately. Everybody else is trying to be the chucklehut.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

outlier posted:

Note that this is an essay stating that the effects of nuclear war have been overstated and it won't be as bad as you'd think, honest ...

The effects of nuclear war are and probably were overstated, but isn't that better than being too cavalier about just chucking nukes around? I mean if it came down to it USA/USSR would've been airbursting them over massed troops, dropping little ones here and there like artillery, retaliation strikes over randomly chosen cities, etc. The kind of poo poo the so-called superpowers do in ticky tack proxy wars is appalling enough without adding nuclear weapons to the mix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pookel posted:

I love listening to old-time recordings, where they seem to have an accent (but really it's just language changing over time).

I always liked the apocryphal (?) story that Daniel Day Lewis based his There Will Be Blood speaking cadence and accent from old recordings of John Huston.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

She (I think) posts every once in a while. The FBI (I think) was interested enough to get her story/evidence and said they'd check it out. It could be years before we hear anything more.

Didn't they do an A/T? Or am I thinking of the West Memphis Three guy?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That article seems to be sourced almost entirely from Facebook. I reckon it might pay to wait a bit before making any judgements.

The epistolary story is making a comeback.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm not sure I should have laughed out loud at that last sentence.

Almost everything I've read about Kemper from people who interviewed him is always quick to point out that he was disarmingly funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BobbyK posted:

Checks out

Every example they give is always some super goony poo poo but I guess when you're a hardened investigator you'll take whatever chuckles you can get.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That story is absolutely insane.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phantom time hypothesis was popularized by none other than chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cloudchamber posted:

The one that was invented by a Russian, and promoted by Kasparov is the New Chronology theory not the Phantom Time Hypothesis:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

House Louse posted:

Oops, I confused the phantom time dude (German) with the New Chronology dude (who is Russian). It's not unnerving though, just stupid. And great to see the logical knots they tie themselves in. It's like revamped British Israelitism.

Interesting! I always assumed Kasparov was referring to the Phantom Time Hypothesis dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nckdictator posted:

I have no idea why but -besides the horrific act of violence itself- what's creeping me out about this is the contrast between a unfathomably ancient site and the very modern act of terrorism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

The addendum to this is insane, as one of the leaders of Muslim Brotherhood was actually put in charge of the Luxor region during Morsi's tenure. Short memories.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember that very, very well, that and the Embassy bombings in Kenya. It was underreported in the States because no Americans were killed.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

No no no, You missed a word or two. The Addendum to this is insane, As Morsi appointed Adel Asaad Al-Khayat. Al-Khayat comes from the political wing of Gamaa Islamiya, which carried out a horrifying attack on a morning in November 1997.

I know some of you kids were all excited about how awesome Arab Spring was, but it all turned to poo poo.

It's okay because they renounced violence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That passage is legitimately funny. Talk about continuity of government...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, Vince Bugliosi was a prosecuting attorney with a storied record, probably the most famous since Clarence Darrow or whatever. You can forgive the guy thinking he was Muhammad Ali.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

Nobody talk about yourself in this thread unless you finally get confirmation from the FBI that your grandpa was the Chicago Tylenol killer.

Whatever happened with that, anyway?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wedemeyer posted:

The person came back from contacting the Feds, said the FBI 'would look into it' and I think that was that.

Always wanted a nice capper to that story. Oh well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If it helps anyone sleep better, most of the articles on sites like xojane are fiction penned by aspiring writers trying to make a quick buck. The more ludicrous, the better--those sites will gladly pay third parties for completely ridiculous stuff like this because it means more clicks/shares/ad impressions/whatever and no liability whatsoever on their part if someone calls bullshit.

Yeah, it's just the web version of confessional magazines, most popular reference for this kind of thing is Penthouse Forum. They're the ultimate in STDH stories, they're basically urban legends of really variable quality.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Patattack posted:

I have a strong memory of an article from a few years back where a bunch of psychologists were interviewed and asked: if you could run any psychological experiment, without worrying about ethics or subjects' well-being, what would it be? The answers were really interesting in the sense of "wow yeah that's horrible, but it would teach us a lot about the human psyche!" but I've never been able to find that article since...

It wasn't this one, was it?

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/ff_swr/

That reminded me of this, anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Patattack posted:

I believe that's the one! Thank you for ending my search!

No problem, I knew that sounded familiar...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mystic Stylez posted:

A long time ago, somebody posted a PDF that contained a transcription of a murderer's statement to the police. I remember it was very shocking and depressing. The guy, who had an impalement fetish or some terrible poo poo, lured a young girl (I think it was some neighbor's daughter) inside his apartment, killed her, tried to dispose of her body (at some point he put it into the bath tub to drain blood I think) and got caught. Any idea what I'm talking about?

http://downloads.newsok.com/documents/Underwoodvideotapetranscript.pdf

Famous here because some people played EVE with him or some poo poo?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

crowoutofcontext posted:

Its really disturbing how he doesn't have the usual psychopathic or sociopath traits one usually associates with these crimes, he seemed indecisive, hesitant, was a horrible liar.

Well, lack of empathy, a prerequisite for premeditated murder, is pretty drat sociopathic. Especially since the purpose is sexual gratification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I wonder if there is some kind of psych torture manual these people develop their methods from.

The CIA published two such documents for instruction at the School Of The Americas:

Handling Sources:
http://www.soaw.org/about-the-soawhinsec/soa-manuals/handling-of-sources

"KUBARK" Interrogation:
http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB122/CIA%20Kubark%201-60.pdf