Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FrozenVent posted:

poo poo started to get weird before he'd even died, his Wikipedia article goes into some details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Stalin#Death_and_legacy

What's supposed to be weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

dpack_1 posted:

Its interesting, so much so that you should go start it's own thread and not turn this one into a 4 page derail about that one subject.

You seem like a literal loving retard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What if you need some chee chalked?

Maybe it's about a detective who draws chalk outlines of the victims of chi based crimes.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MissEchelon posted:

King Prawn ain't wrong.

And that is completely horrifying, jesus christ

For content, here's a perennial favourite: Albert Fish. Cannibal and general shitheel. Article includes an excerpt from that dreadful letter he sent the mother of the child he ate.

Was what he said about China correct? Cuz that sort of societal horribleness is a topic worth this thread on its own.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Harry Harlow sounds like a Captain Planet villain or something.

Want to give that nerd a loving swirly.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bulletsponge13 posted:

In the .mil MASSCAS training we ere told ignore those who were expectant. Its lovely, but in those events, the time it takes to explain it or hold someone's hand through it, two more just dropped from urgent to expectant.
Personally, if I am going to die, just loving tell me and move on to save the next guy.

But first give me morphine. It's only polite.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm not a violent guy, but I don't blame those Polish guards in the slightest.

It's like that "massacre" that took place at the conclusion of hostilities in the war where it's concentration camp survivors killing the guards and it's like the least offensive massacre I can think of.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

That sounds like a really lovely reason to voluntarily expose yourself to loving mustard gas. Like, if I were your instructor, I think I'd flunk you for that.

The class was introductory exposure to mustard gas and this intrepid guy just Dead Posters Societied it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
After a few months I imagine that they'd change their mind on buggery.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

angelfisher posted:

Dirty Little Seacret: Couple goes missing on vacation. The apprehension of a Hooters robbery helps find out why they're missing, but the reason why is pretty drat terrifying...

What's the reason why?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nckdictator posted:

Earlier in this thread I wrote about Oskar Dirlewanger, the SS rapist/murderer who was too sadistic for the Nazis. How could he get even weirder? Turns out he had a pet monkey according to Valhalla's Warriors: A History of the Waffen-SS on the Eastern Front 1941-1945 by Terry Goldsworthy

I wonder if that's the inspiration for the monkey in Come and See.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

duckmaster posted:

Then again Britain didn't really do itself any favours. One of the senior officers involved in the planning was literally called Sir Evill.

That is a man deeply in need of a PhD.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Khazar-khum posted:

The rest of the squadron felt Goering was a blowhard who cared only for his own advancement.

also he was hogging all the painkillers.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I just realized that Ted Kaczynski/The Unabomber is pretty much the closest real-life equivalent of a supervillain.

Rupert Murdoch?

Arclyte posted:

Maybe Stuff You Missed In History Class? They talk about all kinds of interesting historical events, and the one I linked is about a series of shark attacks in 1916.

My speakers are broken, what is the deal with these shark attacks and why is it interesting?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

Chiming in that this is an incredible read. I've always been fascinated by Corll; it's amazing that such a horrific (and prolific) serial murderer could have fallen into obscurity. (As others have said, he was dead when his story broke, which is probably why the story doesn't have the Ted Bundy-level of infamy associated with it.) Other than a special I saw on ID Discovery a few years ago and a few pages in serial killer encyclopedia-type books, I haven't seen very much on him and his crimes. I had no idea that there were potentially many other victims, but no investigations were made because more bodies would equal bad publicity, Jesus Christ.

It really needs to be repeated but for all the poo poo Florida gets in popular culture, Texas is by far loving worse. I suspect it gets off the hook because it's "real america" or somesuch horseshit. gently caress Texas, gently caress Texans.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ghost Cow Goes Boo posted:

As for Sword and Scale's "thousands of psychos walk among us" shtick, I suppose if you spend all day every day reading true crime stuff you might develop that opinion without realizing it. Zupansky regularly goes off on tangents about how Canadian law is too lenient, but I put that down to him being a true crime author himself and I expect interviewing serial killers for a living is going to colour your opinion.

I put it down to him being a dumb motherfucker.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Well, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! I love museums and weird medical stuff and had no idea that something like that was so close to KC. Thanks for the tip!

If you want another tip there's a picture of a microdick further up the page :)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ozz81 posted:

At least microdick would be honest when he says only the tip will go in

Can I have more?
.....no

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
PYF stories of your children

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Not in this thread. It's too long a story to post in this thread without being horribly off-topic. And honestly, I really don't even loving want to type it out because just thinking about it still shakes me up to this day. :(

The super short version is, we came very close to losing one of our dogs because my dad was too retarded to keep the loving backyard doors closed while working outside so they wouldn't escape, like I've been telling him to do since I was ELEVEN, and it took a literal string of just-in-the-nick-of-time events to keep him from dying before anyone even noticed he was gone. And when I say "just-in-the-nick-of-time", I mean that if any one of those events had happened as little as 2 or 3 seconds later than they did, then that dog would have been dead, and my dad's whole head and upper body would today be heavily disfigured and thick with scar tissue from the hurricane of claw hammer blows and "unlicensed" car battery brain-jolts I gave him as punishment for letting my doggy die.

loving great, now it's 2:30 AM and I'm too worked up from typing that to fall asleep. Are you happy now, Anoia?

lmfao

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mojo Threepwood posted:

In a 2012 man was driving his Subaru Forrester in Seattle and was stopped at an intersection when a silver BMW Z4 convertible pulled up next to him and fired five fatal shots, before speeding off into the night. Was this a case of a brutal gangland slaying, someone seeking revenge, or a fatal misidentification? Nope, the shooter was a married robotics expert who picked his victim at random because he apparently wanted to feel what it felt to kill someone.

The shooter was 31 year old Thomasdinh “Dinh” Bowman, and his victim was a 42 year old wine steward that Bowman had never met. Bowman's actions (including after eating dinner at Red Robin with his wife two hours after the murder) were about what you'd expect from someone who researched how to get away with murder on the internet. He had turned off his cell phone GPS ahead of time, dissembled and hid his gun, got rid of his car tires so they couldn't be matched to tread marks at the scene, and drove to Portland to get his shot out passenger window replaced. Police later got a look at his computer and found:

Fortunately for society Bowman made the mistake of living only 10 blocks away from the murder scene and witnesses gave a description of his BMW that led to his arrest. He was able to afford Seattle Super-Defense Lawyer John Henry Browne who had previous defended The Barefoot Bandit, the guy who massacred all those Afghan civilians, and Ted Bundy. Bowman clearly hadn't planned ahead to to "getting arrested" phase of his scheme, and his defense was a ridiculous claim that he was defending himself against the wine steward's "road rage", including saying that the wine steward was throwing wine bottles at his head and he feared for his life. With his hands on the steering wheel, and Bowman's window rolled up. Bowman got 29 years in jail.

This one is especially scary to me as I live not too far from where it happened, and the killer was so well educated, married, with a great car, and just decided why not kill a random guy using what I learned on the internet?

WHAT A GREAT CAR

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not a wiki article, just an anecdote for those who like a good creepy story about airplane crashes.

I lived on Long Island when TWA Flight 800 went down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

A nice regular customer at my bf's video rental store was a NYPD diver. Usually his job entailed going into the Hudson to try to find guns thrown into the river, helping to pull cars that had sunk, that sort of thing. When 800 went down, the authorities called everyone in the area with diving chops to help retrieve bodies and wreckage, even though it was outside NYC proper. He was on that team.

As the diver told it... He's down there and comes across a woman, still belted into her seat. The woman starts moving, and not in a way that matches the ocean current. She looks, incredibly, alive. He checks his tanks to make sure he's not flipping out on nitrogen narcosis; there's no way anyone's still alive who's been down there so long.

Upon closer inspection, her corpse was chock full of crabs feasting on her. Their movement was pulling her around like a puppet.

Needless to say, my bf gave him free rentals on the comedies he was renting to get his mind off that horror. I know it sounds pretty STDH, but we had no reason to not believe dude's story, he never bragged about any exploits prior to that, and the look in the guy's eyes convinced my bf that Dude Had Seen Some Serious poo poo.

How often does he find guns thrown into a river? Seems like it'd be like looking for a needle in a haystack but I don't know anything about the turbidity of the Hudson.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Would love to see this thing just covered with AAA like a flak bridge.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nckdictator posted:

It's a interesting idea

I didn't even notice the windows to be honest lol.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Shut the gently caress up all of you.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Post the corrupted videos.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Given the speeds involved and the mass of the plane it's probably not uncommon for those that crash on the water either.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Back in the 2000's Saddam (from Iraq) flew planes into two buildings in NY because he hated our freedoms.

It's how he died.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

monny posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

I managed to hit a massive patch of this with a strimmer in the height of summer, wearing a singlet and shorts. It must have taken ~2 years for the scars to fade, I was absolutely covered in the poo poo :( on the plus side, I didn't go blind!

Oh, you don't have mirrors in your house?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

If I were seriously trying to make a career as an actor I'd probably go that route too, because I really don't give a poo poo about any religion so why not get in on one that's going to give me networking opportunities with industry people.

Jews aren't big on conversion.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Ku Klux Kan.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Bigfoot is an albanian dude (hairy) with a really big dick. I'll try and stop but goddamn folks, I love the great outdoors.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HonorableTB posted:

Wyntyr, I was born and raised in LaGrange and I never heard about any of that. We did have our own spooky stuff though, like notorious psychic/"seer" Mayhayley Lancaster just north of us. I can do a write up about her if anyone's interested. She was a very old woman who was involved in a police investigation and despite not being involved in any way, told the detectives exactly where to find the bodies of murder victims. The whole story is very creepy because she knew about things she couldn't possibly have known.

Was this in the Atlanta metro area? Cuz my uncle had a younger sister who went missing and they consulted a psychic and found her body and the whole thing just struck me as absolutely bizarre and so seemingly far fetched.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

wootsie posted:

For true crime books, I really enjoyed "Shot in the Heart" by Mikal Gilmore, brother of Gary Gilmore. Includes a lot of family backstory and is just fascinating. Had to read it for a university course on serial killers by a local legend, Elliott Leyton, who wrote "Hunting Humans" and consulted on a number of international cases. Honestly, just going to class to listen to his stories was absolutely fascinating.

Was Leyton the guy in that documentary when he says that the the 30 active serial killers a year is way too low?

e: I misread, most definitely not lol

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Will he have to share his slaves if he had an accomplice? Or is it first come, first serve?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sierra Nevadan posted:

That's why I automatically skip past that poo poo. Stupid gimmick isn't funny.

What the gently caress did I tell you about signing your posts

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HonorableTB posted:

Wyntyr, I was born and raised in LaGrange and I never heard about any of that. We did have our own spooky stuff though, like notorious psychic/"seer" Mayhayley Lancaster just north of us. I can do a write up about her if anyone's interested. She was a very old woman who was involved in a police investigation and despite not being involved in any way, told the detectives exactly where to find the bodies of murder victims. The whole story is very creepy because she knew about things she couldn't possibly have known.

So... we are definitely not getting this write-up?

Frostwerks has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
In what world is 37,000 feet 4 times the height of Everest?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Literally Kermit posted:

Lol, I hosed up some numbers, yeah. I didn't even google it, I was going by half-remembered figures from the everest thread. :v:

I will go change it after I maths, but generally they were at "the altitude you can't breathe at without assistance".

Edit: I feel like I let Frostwerks down somehow and that hurts the worst :smith:

It's ok, I was asking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
....is if THEY were the body in the trunk!