Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, cordyceps have been used as a stimulant for a while now but now people are all OMG CORDYCEPS because of The Last of Us. Pretty sure they're used a lot in Chinese medicine as well.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:13 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

FrozenVent posted:

There was another guy in Clearwater who'd film scientologists and stuff who "killed himself" more recently and that was a heck of a lot more suspect.

Clearwater is basically owned by Scientologists and a lot of the local police force works as paid security for the various Scientology centers in their off-hours. Consequently it's very hard to get the police to take any actions against Scientologists in Clearwater, and even when they do make efforts they often give up conveniently quickly if denied entry to premises by Scientologists - even places where emergency calls have come from. There is an alarming amount of evidence pointing to the probability that Scientologists have murdered people in Clearwater and gotten away with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_McPherson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Harrison_Hotel

"In 1997, Clearwater police received over 160 emergency calls from the Fort Harrison Hotel, but they were denied entry into the hotel by Scientology security."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

moller posted:

The LDS has (have?) survived the United States being essentially at war with them and the CoS used espionage and the legal system to force a détente, so I'm pretty sure neither of them are going anywhere any time soon. Barring widespread societal collapse they will continue to grow for our lifetimes and many more, and academics will argue from varied positions about the meaning of their writings.

I find that scary and unnerving, but also sort of hilarious.

I like the concept but I don't really think it's realistic given how differentty information is collected and passed along nowadays. Those religions aren't just being passed mainly by oral history any more. There are and will remain lots of records about their founding preserved digitally and in various books and other formats, and lots of proof about how BS these religions are - that's not just going to disappear from the internet and the world and be entirely forgotten/wiped in such a way that future scholars will have to patch together theories based on word of mouth and gut instinct.

Pretty sure they'll still be able to just Google this stuff.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Otana posted:

For a while people did suspect a Scientology hit, but it does look like it was just him being pushed over the edge. :(

The thing that makes it tough is that half the time what Scientologists do is harass someone so much that they eventually wear down and commit suicide themselves to escape it. After all, if you inspire someone to kill themselves, you're not actually killing them - you're letting your problem take care of itself. So when a prominent anti-Scientologist advocate suddenly kills themselves, I tend to wonder what exactly happened to inspire it (especially given the fact that he'd been potentially targeted once before with the cat poisoning). Maybe he really was just a depressed guy but I dunno….it fits too conveniently into the CoS's patterni for me to ever 100% rule out my suspicions. It's just way, way too common for devoted anti-Scientology folks (or members of CoS who are attempting to leave) to very suddenly commit suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Lonsdale
http://nomoreliesscn.blogspot.com/2013/03/suicide-end-phenomenon-of-scientology.html

Basically when people piss the Church off, it digs and digs so deeply and works so hard to psychologically break people that eventually they turn to despair.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Scientology is only boring if you have absolutely no intellectual curiosity or imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White
"It was the single largest infiltration of the United States government in history…"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

dpack_1 posted:

Its interesting, so much so that you should go start it's own thread and not turn this one into a 4 page derail about that one subject.

No, I think this one is working just fine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout
Operation Freakout is of course an early example of the CoS getting caught trying to drive someone so insane they either go to jail or prison (with possible assassination attempts). The FBI uncovered the plot in the 70s. Gives me the heebie-jeebies that the CoS has basically had 40 years to refine these techniques to fly under the radar.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I just happen to find reality the most unnerving thing of all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_401
2nd deadliest single-aircraft disaster in the US, cause by a single burnt-out LED light distracting the whole flight crew so much that no one noticed the plane slowly descending into the tarry blackness of the Everglades at night.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DStecks posted:

Probably because most people just think of pigs as harmless, dopey, indiscriminant eaters, not genuine meat lovers, let alone predators.

And those people would be the first to get eaten by pack of roving pigs after the apocalypse. Don't underestimate pigs and boars - they are smart and big, and will absolutely kill and eat anything that wanders into their path if they're feeling hungry. And they eat everything including the bones, leaving very few traces you were ever there.

There's a reason Robert Pickton was able to get away with his murders for so long (possibly since the early 90s), and it's because his voracious pigs destroyed the evidence for him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Aug 3, 2014

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Literally Kermit posted:

Not for nothing, but there was a second company between the waste disposal guy and the facility that produced the waste. They paid the former $125 a load and were paid by the latter $3000 a load to get rid of waste they had no idea what to do with (which is why they sold it to a local waste oil business to begin with).

That doesn't absolve the waste guy (who thought it was no more harmful than motor oil) but he wasn't exactly a mustache-twirling profiteer, either. It's a good wiki article!

Yeah but at the same time, animals were dying by the load in places where Bliss (the guy subcontracted to dispose of the waste) sprayed, including birds falling straight out of rafters in barns, and he was up-and-down denying his spraying contributed to it. You'd think if you're buying barrels full of miscellaneous waste from large corporations and everywhere you're spraying it is making people and animals incredibly ill, maybe you'd loving stop and look into it instead of forging ahead and taking more contracts.

Refusing to question or investigate your own actions when you're obviously causing harm is in itself a sort of evil, due to the effect it can have on others. It's a selfish impulse to protect one's own ego and it cost other people their health and potentially their lives. Bliss is an example of how cocksure ignorance is much more dangerous than any mustachioed villain.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't know if I'd call it a 'trick' if they're just recreating police methods and showing that more often than not, people are compelled to make something up due to the power of suggestion and the presence of an authority figure.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ranbo das posted:

I dunno from my experience most abusive relationships have the abused party refusing to admit to anyone that the relationship is abusive or rationalizing it to themselves. I've never seen an abusive relationship where one party is actively saying "help me I'm in an abusive relationship" to just random people but telling everyone they actually know / has authority that they're fine. Usually if they're willing to admit there is an abusive relationship to others, they're willing to admit it to themselves and take steps to get out of it.

This is super general and not always true. Plenty of people know they are being abused but stay around anyway because the abuse causes low self-esteem, which leads to thoughts such as 'well i'm such a piece of poo poo anyway, who else would want me?'. Abused people often mire in their own self-hatred because they know they should leave but feel unable or unequipped to do so, which makes them feel even worse about themselves and, causes them to insecurely rely on the abuser more.

The abuser subconsciously convinces their partner they really are as lovely as suggested, and even if the partner can know intellectually they're getting a raw deal and don't deserve this type of treatment from their partner, emotionally they are worried they'll be left alone by this person who has coerced emotional dependence from them. And then who else would want them? I mean, they feel so useless that THIS is their current partner, the feeling of trying to effect change is absolutely daunting.

That's pretty much why abusers abuse - in a hosed up way, it tethers people to you.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jul 28, 2016

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
If we're talking serial killers, there's an active one around Long Island that hasn't been caught, though he hasn't struck in a while. Although it may be more than one, as "it is clear that the area in and around Gilgo Beach has been used to discard human remains for some period of time".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_serial_killer

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

a mysterious cloak posted:

Yeah, I had met the guy a few times over the years and I would never have even imagined this would happen.

I always think this is hilarious when people say this. Like everyone thinks Bad Guys look like a man in a black trenchcoat and hat.

The majority of people who commit crimes this heinous are usually pretty good at playing normal. Hell, they ARE normal. It's not the clearly weird people you should worry about, it's the folks who are so mundane they could be your neighbors or friends. Those are where you find your serial killers, your crimes of passion, your plots to gain inheritance.

Happy New Year.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MightyJoe36 posted:

My son and I had this conversation once. He said if he was ever going to commit a burglary, he was going to dress up in the old school outfit that everybody used to draw burglars: black knit cap, black eye mask, black and white striped shirt, and carry a bag with a dollar sign painted on it.

He said the best part would be people's description/composite sketch of the suspect.

This is hilarious, I love it.

But yeah, a lot of people like to think they'd 'sense' it or have some sort of intuition that someone's a killer. It's a way to convince ourselves we'd never fall prey to something like that, just OTHER people. But not ME, I have carefully vetted all the people around me!

It is a lie. You most likely would not know. Most people wouldn't. There's a lot you don't know about your neighbors, and a lot of assumptions made about the people we live around that are just plain dumb or wrong.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did you read the New Yorker article? At least two very qualified, even by the estimation of outside people, neurologists suspect that she's not brain-dead, she's minimally conscious.

People keep repeating the "grandmother fed her a popsicle" story, but this hasn't been corroborated in actual news reporting. The New Yorker story instead documents that Jahi was having severe bleeding, severe enough that her grandmother the surgical nurse kept trying to get the post-op nurses to pay attention. That's documented in the medical records. If the popsicle story were true, you can bet the nurses would have charted it. After I read that article, I was ashamed. I'd bought into the "poor black family can't understand death" narrative, which is the hospital's story, and into rumors that made the family look worse.

Don't get me wrong; if it were me, I hope my husband would have pulled the plug. He knows this. But the article makes a well-researched point that the brain death standard we now use wasn't chosen based on science.

I just wanted to echo this. If you read the article until the very very end, it's clear that it's very possible she's become minimally conscious - even if she was braindead for quite some time, her brain seems to have healed to a certain extent. We're discovering that it's a more elastic organ than we think, all the time. The question is, how far can the human brain heal, and how long would it take? Would it take the rest of her natural life to finally become a person again, if the possibility even exists? If so, that brings up the very uncomfortable question of, how long do we wait? And why does it heal for some, but not others?

And when does it become torture to the person inside?

It's not so simple morally anymore. We want it to be, though.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Untrustable posted:

I've always wondered: if you're going to execute a death row inmate, why not just take them in a room and shoot them behind the ear? Painless, efficient, cheap. I guess it would gently caress up the guy that has to take the shot though. Maybe have a robot do it? I'd rather a robot take me out clean than being cyanide gassed.

1) many executions are allowed to be viewed by friends/family of the victims
2) shooting folks doesn't always kill them right away

It has to appear humane because you don't want to re-traumatize already traumatized people by blowing part of the guy's head off but still having screaming, crawling shrieking human there for all the see and remember until their dying day. People in their anger will say they want justice and hope it's violent, but they really don't want that. They want peace.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Umbra Dubium posted:

He put this to a proponent of lethal injections, and his response was basically "These guys are murderers, why do you care about how they feel?"

Because that's what makes me different from them :smith: I'm not a murderer, and I don't like having to become party to inhumanity.

EDIT: OH gently caress NEW PAGE

Issei Sagawa is still alive, he murdered and ate a Dutch woman, managed to escape conviction and became a celebrity cannibal in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issei_Sagawa

He paints creepy loving paintings of body parts and utensils and poo poo, but I always wondered if it was a bit of playing it up for his audience.

Here he is in 2015, all old and apparently feeling at peace:
https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/paris-cannibal-sagawa-reminisces-over-his-grisly-crime

And here's an article from 2013 that revels in the idea he might be spinning out of control but it's actually really scary because he talks about very recently almost killing some prostitutes jfc :smith:
http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1372752/poetic-justice

so if the 2015 article is true at least he's out of the grip of insanity I guess?

ugh googling all this just brought up tons of murder auction stuff from the creepy serial killer industry and I just feel bad now

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Mar 16, 2018

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
They talked about that on Aftereffect, an NPR podcast following the journey of a single autistic man through the system after a traumatic experience.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/620029068/aftereffect

I highly recommend it. Very unnerving but worth it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The unnerving thing is simple-minded people who think someone mutilating an animal for fun is in any way in the same moral realm as eating meat for sustenance, and who unironically pretend not to see the difference to make a really lovely non-point. That's SUPER unnerving.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
There is a well-loved little girl character from the Japanese series Black Jack whose entire existence comes about because she's a psychic teratoma that gets put into a plastic body. The person who hosts the teratoma inside herself wants it to be removed and disposed of, but Black Jack hears its thoughts and gives it life.

Pinoko is the first example I can think of, of the '18 yo woman stuck in a child body' trope that has become so creepy in anime

:nws: :nms: nothing too bad but slightly gorey drawings, read from right-to-left
https://i.imgur.com/FwG3OhG.jpg

There is SO much merch of this weird ageless teratoma baby to be had

EDIT: AAAAAAAA AAAAAAA https://www.waseda.jp/top/en-news/22514

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Nov 14, 2018

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Randaconda posted:

Christine owns, for a book written in the middle of King's four year coke binge

All I can remember is the old man who went on and on about the car smelling like pussy, and how effectively foul that was because he was so gross about it

ugh

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The best Stephen King cocaine story is he didn't remember writing Cujo at all until his agent started talking about selling the movie rights.

I have a topper: Steven King wrote and directed the movie Maximum Overdrive while on so much coke that he does not remember directing or being involved in AAAAAANY of it

He just watches it and goes wow, guess I made that thing

Everyone go see Maximum Overdrive

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I just listened to that Radiolab about the guy with the fistula in his stomach that allowed us to figure out how guts work, Alexis St. Martin.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/197112-guts

We know how stomachs work because a dude got shot in the gut and it left a giant gaping hole one could literally look directly into.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Miss posted:

In that... they're both elevators? I honestly can't tell in the first whether she's on the outside or the inside of one, there's no details

is there other art that shows this clearer? I really don't see it

....it's from exactly the same angle as the first image of Elisa Lam, same composition and same exact placement to the camera. You don't just do that by chance, especially since Elisa's hallucinations that she was going to be taken away and her actions at this moment suggesting she felt like she was being followed; there was a lot of talk online before people knew much about her that this was some sort of 'creepy haunting video' and it's got some urban legend status. The fact that getting snatched away by a mysterious force actually happens to this character, it's not just a reach, it's a pretty clear reference.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Feb 2, 2019

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Or maybe it's because we're so competent nobody realizes it's us

:unsmigghh:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Detective Thompson posted:

Kill the state of Georgia.

i moved here last year and am seriously like jfc sherman you should have just salted the goddamn earth after you and left it so ruined nothing coud have been rebuilt

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Aesop Poprock posted:

I would have appreciated in Dogma when Allanis Morisette god is acting all twee and doing a handstand against a tree if someone was like “uh that’s cute but what’s up with the babies born without brains and stuff”

she wouldn't responded with a raspberry and a tweak to the nose bc the whole point is god is doing their own poo poo and is subsequently inscrutable and unknowable to mortals, and that reads pretty clearly

you can't 'gotcha' god dude. i'm not religious but even i picked that up, cmon

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

PetraCore posted:

So he was aware of the dangers he was bringing to them but failed to do the research and believe the research that he'd still be a danger even if vaccinated? drat.

Like, okay. I'm not dancing on his grave, but it's fortunate that his arrogance only lead to one death. And that's one death that we know about, so it's possible he did sicken some people. And you know what? I genuinely believe this guy would have been horrified if that had happened and he'd lived long enough to realize it, but horror after the fact doesn't excuse dangerous negligence that you were entirely warned about beforehand.

I am. gently caress that guy.

He's very lucky the only thing that happened is him getting shot before he interacted with anybody, instead of him sweeping in and accidentally killing an entire indigenous population by introducing a disease to them via colonial hubris

That he's only remembered as that dumb guy who killed himself, and not That Dumb Guy who Killed The Sentinelese, is the best he could have hoped for

Respect for the dead is a boomer politeness that should die with them

EDIT: autocorrect

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Aug 28, 2019

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
They had to make a fake wallet and fake cash for my grandfather, because he wouldn't eat food given to him and was starving himself - he had to feel like he was paying for it or he wouldn't have it. And he's a stubborn enough guy, he would absolutely, 100% starve himself to literal death rather than accept 'handouts'.

A capitalist until the end, ya old bastard

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean that's exactly what happens - sex workers can't really get protection by calling the police because they engage in what is an illegal activity and the police just arrest them if they call for help. Sex workers are penalized for sex work, not their patrons for being violent with them. It's bullshit.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
No, but they absolutely all need tiny santa hats

it's the holidays, gosh darnit

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pick posted:

That's not actually what happens in investigations of this nature; it's the fact that people think it is that also plays a huge role, so be careful what you parrot.

Um, it's happened plenty of times? Sex workers have talked about this as an issue, Pick. I'm not parroting it as some 'perhaps maybe', this is what has happened to my friends who are sex workers. It's not what is supposed to happen, but it does pretty often - that's why sex workers are trying to get the word out.

Be careful who you dismiss just because you're rich and wanna get some 'gotcha' on people.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Dec 1, 2019

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

I would legit love to listen to a podcast with Marcus from LPOTL with anyone other than Henry. They do so much good research and some episodes are amazing, but too often it's dependent on what Henry does. I never like bitching about negative things because if it sucks, just don't listen, but too many episodes are ruined by Henry taking over with dumb poo poo.

Would love to find a podcast that covers similar stuff with good research.

I have this problem with a lot of true crime podcasts - I just don't give a poo poo about the hosts or their POV, just gimme the unsettling deets, and get it right. I can't listen to My Favourite Murder for this reason, and have been trying Morbid: A True Crime Podcast, but really not sure how I feel about it. Alaina actually reads up on poo poo and does decent research, but Ash dooooes not, and they consider themselves 'sisters' so there's never gonna be a version of one without the other. I also kinda hate their voices, and hate myself for that.

In the interest of keeping things going, here's some recs of investigative or true crime podcasts that I have liked recently-ish that aren't just 'two assholes dishing about murderers while readin' from a wiki article':

https://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark - APM Reports: In The Dark - This is the gold standard for investigative podcasts IMO. Well-vetted & researched, and seeks to find a deeper truth than 'who dun it'. The first season is about the disappearance of Jacob Wetterling, but it's really about the failures of the police involved, how little oversight sheriff's offices really have, and how that power can be abused even for 'good intentions'. There's now a second season about an unsolved murder and the suspect Curtis Flowers, who has been tried six times in Mississippi by state prosecutor Doug Evans. This case is currently ongoing - Curtis has just been released on bail; the podcast has brought forth exculpatory evidence that has changed the trajectory of this case.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/findingcleo/click-here-to-listen-to-missing-murdered-finding-cleo-1.4557887 - Finding Cleo - presented by the CBC, season two of this podcast about children who went missing during The Sixties Scoop in Canada is heartbreaking and enlightening: "Where is Cleo? It's a mystery her family has been trying to unravel for decades after the young Cree girl was apprehended by child welfare workers in Saskatchewan in the 1970's. Her siblings say she was stolen, and then raped and murdered while trying to hitchhike back home, her body left at the side of the road somewhere in the United States. They have no idea where she is, whether her name was changed, or if anyone has been charged in her murder."

https://www.wabe.org/shows/buried-truths/ - Buried Truths - Hank Klibanoff teaches a class on Civil Rights cold cases at Emory University, so he knows his stuff. Here, he presents us two cases in two seasons, heartbreaking both in their brutality, and in their lack of justice or acknowledgment until now

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510343/white-lies - White Lies - "In 1965, Rev. James Reeb was murdered in Selma, Alabama. Three men were tried and acquitted, but no one was ever held to account. Fifty years later, two journalists from Alabama return to the city where it happened, expose the lies that kept the murder from being solved and uncover a story about guilt and memory that says as much about America today as it does about the past."

https://wondery.com/shows/dr-death/ - Dr. Death - so this one doesn't have the same standards as the ones above - Wondery is more about creating sensationalized entertainment podcasts quickly on a regular schedule to feed fans, than about well-vetted and researched ones developed over time. BUT the case is so nuts, and by all account all the things reported in here are true, that it's worth a listen.

https://thecoldpodcast.com/ - Cold Podcast - just finished this one and I'm still pondering how I feel about it - the case is intense and I couldn't stop listening, there's so much here and this researcher really dug into the source material he had, which was a lot of notebooks and audio diary entries from the murderer himself. The host makes a point of getting things from firsthand sources wherever possible - but he editorializes a bit much for my tastes, and there are times where he airs frustration with the now-dead murder victim about not leaving her abuser that, while full of good intentions, just comes off p. judgy. He also spends a good portion of the last episode stating his own personal theory on how he thinks it all went down, which he admits is a big no-no to do, but still proceeds to do anyway.

I would love any recs for podcasts of this vein/quality - I am finding I've run through all the 'good' stuff I am aware of, and now it's just MFM/LPOTL-type stuff which isn't satisfying in the least

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Jan 2, 2020

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Episode 80: Alex and PJ try to explain Loss to their boss and Jason Mantzoukas. https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/v4hemk

hearing alex bloomberg and jason mantzoukas in the same podcast is not something i ever ever expected to hear. this is like that peanut butter in my chocolate commercial and i am here for it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
While it's fair to be reticent about Kennedy theories, it's very well-known that women did get sent to mental institutions or forced into damaging psychiatric treatments just to control their behavior, or even to get them away from their husbands who were done with them. Nellie Bly's "Ten Days in a Madhouse" made more than clear that it wasn't just rumours.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah I started reading it and kind of noped out a few lines in, I legit didn’t feel comfortable with intruding on a conversation that personal

It's presented in documentary style so the conversation itself isn't shared until the end - what you're reading at the top of the transcript there is just narration.

The recording itself is actually a fairly mundane but sweet conversation between a man stuck in the hospital and his Alzheimer's-ridden wife at home. They tell each other they miss each other. The patter of their normal conversation gets cruelly cut off by the recording machine in what is a clear allegory for life. That's pretty much it.

I think it's a cute story but not worth the mini-doc, but that's probably because I lived through a relative with Alzheimer's so there's nothing heartwarming there for me anymore. It's just a destructive disease that takes everything from you. At least this woman was well-loved and had the proper social and medical support to live her last days in relative comfort. This is literally the best situation for a someone like this, so to me this is less heartbreaking than it could have turned out.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Randaconda posted:

Joe is a piece of poo poo, yet somehow far more likable than Carole or the creepy sex cult dude

this is the exact problem with the show and why i can't wait until the craze passes. 'he's so likeable', everyone says of man who abuses animals and treats them like poo poo

that's what people said about ted bundy, man. gently caress that.

no movie, no memes, gently caress joe exotic and not in the way he wants