Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kimmalah posted:

No it wasn't Aatrek.

The guy wasn't a goon at all, he just gets posted in these creepy threads a lot and for some reason people get it mixed up.

This guy's testimony is one of the few things I wish I could unread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Double Plus Good posted:

(would y'all mind removing the link? It's not a hard story to find but I don't want my university linked with my account here... sorry, after something like that you get a little paranoid. :shobon: It's a very, very small school. )

Then things started to escalate, and he would send me weird, vague messages, and call me asking to meet with him. He kept saying that he just needed to tell me "one thing and it will all be over." I never met with him.

Gotta be honest, this gave me a chill. Talk about dodging a bullet.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LoonShia posted:

I, too, have played The Last of Us.

Nah, videos of that poo poo went viral in early ... 2000s? Aughties? ... Naughties?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

peter gabriel posted:

In sentencing, Acting Justice Jane Mathews read out this "particularly chilling" poem Matthew Milat wrote more than nine months after the murder.

'your last day'

Click-clack
hear that,
stopping in the, middle of the track,
Are you Getting Nervous in the back,
Should be C--- your getting wAcked,
talk s--- here, talk s--- there,
No-one'z really gunna care,
but talk s--- with every breath,
You just signed away your health,
I can see you start to sweat,
Wanderin what your gunna get,
hopin 4-1 in the head,
C--- ILL Put it in Your Leg,
tell me, ARE YA HAVIN FUN,
get up C---, And start to run,
how fAr are ya gunna get,
Your Match C--- you have just Met,
stumblin all OVA the place,
Hear the crunch of leaves and feet,
feel your heart, skip a beat,
Are ya gunna get away,
No hope kid this is your day,
The day that you wont be found,
Six feet under Neath the ground.

:staredog:

Oh my god... did he just try to rhyme 'breath' with 'health'?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

acephalousuniverse posted:

It's called slant rhyme motherfucker

Wow, they're called haikus you racist

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BioMe posted:

There are also the people who were born into it or joined as children with their parents. You have to feel sorry for those people at least.

See: Beck

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HaB posted:

I guess what you have to decide is which is more traumatizing?

I personally would rather be told, and made comfortable. At least that way I can mentally prepare - inasmuch as that's actually possible to do.

Being told "we'll be back to check on you in a bit" and then sitting there waiting, feeling worse and worse until your life slips away to me would be far worse. I wouldn't want my last thoughts to be something like "WHY DIDNT THEY COME BACK TO SAVE ME??? I'M DYING BECAUSE THEY NEVER CAME BACK!!!"

Yeah, just bring in Liam Neeson to tell me I'm going to die. Or Liam Neeson's voice on tape, whatever.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Withdrawal Plans posted:

From "The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American 80s" by Paul Slansky:

9/10/1986

Director John Landis reveals the hitherto-unguessed-at depths of his immaturity when, following the hostile testimony of a witness, he blocks her exit with his outstretched legs and makes her climb over him.

5/29/1987

(He is acquitted) "My wife and I are still in a daze," exults John Landis, two days later to USA Today. "I'm having lox and bagels by the pool."

6/25/1988

John Landis invites the jury that acquitted him of involuntary manslaughter to a private screening of his new Eddie Murphy film "Coming to America". He does not offer to fly them in by helicopter.

He's a bad person.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Dangerous times.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
In regards to the James Bulger case:

quote:

Prime Minister John Major said that "society needs to condemn a little more, and understand a little less"

What a oval office.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

jalopybrown posted:

One I only saw the other day, thanks to reddit (I know, I know) is the tale of Blanche Monnier(warning; top photo might be disturbing).

Basically the Parisian Attorney General was tipped off that a girl was being held captive at an address, an address belonging to a rather prestigious family, widow & son, with a daughter who had disappeared 25 years prior. Police attended the home and

The resulting investigation eventually found that her mother and brother had locked her in the upstairs room aged 25 after she refused to give up a relationship and remained there for around 25 years until 1901, one of the more tragic parts of this is the man she refused to leave apparently died in 1885 yet she remained locked up for 16 years. I guess the part that unnerved me most is that this wasn't some depraved pervert like Fritzl or Castro but an upper class family essentially taking 'I forbid you to see that boy' to its extreme.
(Source url might be off-putting in terms of credibility but there are contemporary news articles (example))

Dear god, that photo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Daily Mail accusing an immigrant of a crime? Why I never!

Anyway, this poo poo was solved ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhMZnPVh1Rs

Dissapointed Owl has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Sep 7, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He was a mean guy...ungood, if you will.

I still use this in casual conversations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Guys, maybe those women committed suicide? Anyone followed up on this?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Good lord, such babies. Give me one of those small movie bomb wire snippy things and a hammer and I'll defuse your bomb for you.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Solice Kirsk posted:

But according to him worst thing about them is that they always cut in line.

Glass these savages

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I need that book.

These photos are from a book right?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

duckmaster posted:

Actually this idea (at least in the RFC and later RAF) that pilots were aristocrats mainly comes from movies in the 50s and 60s. Class war was still prevailing in the movie business so all the posh upper class actors got the pilot parts, helped along by the fact that their accents were more palatable for an international market. The reality was extremely different; in the British armed forces the Navy was considered the "senior service" and the aristocrats would go there. Those that joined the Army would join Guards/Cavalry regiments, then the infantry regiments would fight over the best officers and the guff would be shunted into signals or logistics or so on. The RFC was a very junior part of the military structure (it didn't become its own service until 1918) and it was not at the time considered honourable to be sneaking around in a machine in the sky shooting at the backs of your enemy.

The RFC looked for pilots who had some level of mechanical aptitude (they were chronically underfunded and pilots were often their own mechanics) had a sense of danger (life expectancy was ridiculously low) and weren't likely to get bored sitting at an airfield in the middle of nowhere for weeks at a time. They also quite liked recruits who had some level of military training, mainly because they didn't have time to teach them to march or who to salute. These recruits tended to be from the working classes and often men/officers in the army who had got their rank by merit but had no chance of advancing because of who their daddy was.

If we look at Britains top WW1 fighter aces, in no particular order:

George McElroy - 47 kills. An Irishman who joined the infantry as a motorcycle courier and was injured by mustard gas. Joined the RFC as his health prevented him going back to the infantry. Due to the Armys disgraceful reluctance to promote officers based on merit rather than class the highest rank he achieved was temporary Captain. This despite the fact he won the Distinguished Flying Cross twice and the Military Cross three times.

Albert Ball - 44 kills. An Englishman who joined the infantry in the ranks, but he'd gone to a half decent school and they were desperate for officers so they made him a 2nd Lieutenant a few months later. They couldn't possibly have an officer who hadn't been to university or gone fox hunting actually leading troops (the horror!) so they sent him to a training batallion. Spent almost his entire salary learning to fly privately before qualifying and joining the RFC. He also didn't get past temporary Captain despite winning the Victoria Cross.

Tom Hazell - 43 kills. Another Irishman who joined the infantry. He also went to a decent school so took a commission in another regiment before joining the RFC. This one managed to become a Squadron Leader (Major)!

Mick Mannock - 61 kills. His father was a corporal in the Army and he himself was working as a telephone engineer in Turkey when war broke out. He was interned but repatriated in 1915 where he joined the Royal Engineers. Transferred to the RFC a year later and died an acting Major, but they had to bump him up a bit because he won the VC twice.

James McCudden - 57 kills. Left school aged 14 to work for the post office before enlisting in the Royal Engineers as a Sapper (private) aged 16. Taught himself flight theory and mechanics, mostly out of books, before joining the RFC. He got to Major as well but he did get seven medals for gallantry including the VC.

Infact you have to go to Geoffrey Hilton Bowman in 11th place before you even find a pilot who went to university. The highest ace who could be described as upper class is Arthur Percival Foley Rhys-Davids who is in 19th place with 27 kills (including Werner Voss).

Don't know if the German pilots tended to be from the upper echelons but the British certainly weren't. It was a very similar story for WW2 as well.

All I want to know is: how accurate a depiction was Rik Mayall's flying ace character in Blackadder Goes Forth?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

quote:

no McDonald's employees saw any signs of intoxication in Diane Schuler, when she engaged in extended conversation there while ordering food

That's pretty scary and unnerving imo and signs of at least some kind of mental disorder.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Popcorn posted:

Go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhutanese_passport and listen to the audio version of the article.

The authentic Bhutan experience.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

benito posted:

Not to mention what they did to dogs. Head transplants, sending Laika to space to die...

quote:

Work with animals is a source of suffering to all of us. We treat them like babies who cannot speak. The more time passes, the more I'm sorry about it. We shouldn't have done it... We did not learn enough from this mission to justify the death of the dog.

:(

The Drones did a great, and angry, song about the simple cruelty of Laika.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66seXrzECmA

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

quote:

I remember somebody yelling and seeing a big ball of fire near the top of the tent. And this ball of fire just got bigger and bigger and bigger. By that time, everybody was panicking. The exit was blocked with the cages that the animals were brought in and out with. And there was a man taking kids and flinging them up and over that cage to get them out.

Well, there's an unnerving mental image for you.

Dissapointed Owl has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Jan 27, 2015

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The picture in question, btw.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Besesoth posted:

e: I mean, look: failure to report a crime isn't a crime; failure to stop a crime from being committed isn't a crime; and it would be entirely possible for a reasonable jury to conclude that what Goos actually did wasn't a crime and that you don't have an expectation of privacy in a motel room.

Besesoth posted:

- and someone who, it should be noted, asked Talese to sign a non-disclosure agreement before he'd even talk, so if Talese had disclosed what he'd seen/heard/read, it would have both been unethical and exposed Talese to a lawsuit.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're not a lawyer.

Fun and interesting article, questionable morals and priorities, a bunch of completely illegal poo poo.

Breaking a makeshift non-disclosure agreement with someone engaged in illegal and immoral activities would be unethical. Uh huh.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Geniasis posted:

Agreed. If a killer gets off because of a miscarriage of justice, then that's squarely on the prosecution for failing to do their job as far as I'm concerned.

After that, it's for Batman and Daredevil to pick up the slack.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
If only he had taken her last name at marriage, Beard Beard would've been a force to be reckoned with.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

pookel posted:

But people laughing about Albert Fish and John Wayne Gacy is even harder to listen to because WTF, how is this a topic for humor?

Like, I could watch a long documentary about 9/11. I do not want to see a comedy routine about 9/11. Everyone seems to agree that would be tasteless, so I'm not sure how this situation is different.

I mean, I don't disagree (because the people in these podcasts are mostly terrible) but nothing is (or should be) off the table when it comes to comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1bLXk6UVts

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Oh hey, the most upsetting thing I've read all week.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I guess anyone can just be a professional narrator huh

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
"These sick bastards really did a number on this girl's penis."

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Denmark sounds like a shithole.

'Something's rotten in the state of Denmark,' surely.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Busket Posket posted:

pull up thread pull up

John Sutcliffe, the “Yorkshire Ripper,” was arrested in 1981 and is serving 20 consecutive life sentences for 13 murders and 7 attempted murders. He has now admitted involvement in two more assaults.

However, 'Sutcliffe! The Musical' was really powerful and I walked away thinking maybe he is a really misunderstood man. Maybe forty years ago he was taking the piss.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bubble Bobby posted:

Here's a charming item about a child abduction/murder that I stumbled across first thing this morning. Woman with three kids is tricked by a man pretending to be a Good Samaritan. Everything about this story is like a nightmare come to life.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tearful-mother-testifies-she-thought-daughters-suspected-killer-was-good-samaritan/

This messed me up. What in the world.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As someone who had a vaguely similar delusion during some troubled teen years, this was a fascinating read, thank you. I wasn't convinced that the world was watching, but that my friends and teachers were all actors saying and doing things to get me to react in certain ways, driving the narrative of my life. I was constantly second guessing if I was supposed to follow along, or be like Kevin and try to be my own "director".

If this hadn't been in the 1980s but now, with cameras and Internet being ubiquitous, I probably would've taken a full Truman Show turn, and that's just a bit unnerving.

OR DID YOU POST THIS BECAUSE YOU KNEW I HAD THIS ISSUE 30 YEARS AGO AND IT'S A SIGN THAT WE'RE STILL FOLLOWING THIS STORY ARC:aaaaa: :tinfoil: :supaburn:

You jumped the shark in your late teens tbh

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jeremy_X posted:

Late teens huh? I was thinking late childhood. At best.

I peaked in the womb.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
hahaha

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The actor playing him, or the actual guy who murdered the president?

Yes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

This is horrifically hilarious. What in the world.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Cascade Mall shooting creeps me out something fierce. Just the fact that it was like a minute long and seeing the footage of all these people caught totally unaware and the shooter being weirdly precise and quick and the fact that it was so random. I also have a really strong reaction to helpless elderly people being hurt or killed so don't watch this video if that's something that's super upsetting to you. Also the most comprehensive video I could find on it seems like it's some concealed carry/defense vblog thing but Jesus, I cannot imagine being in that situation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Mall_shooting#Killings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qb9x47qrMw

Hahaha, gently caress this narrator. "You gotta be willing to fight when you can't run."

rear end in a top hat, they're goddamn TERRIFIED OF THE MADMAN WITH A GUN.

You would goddamn crap yourself and if you'd had a gun probably shoot your own balls off before this guy runs up to you and puts several rifle rounds in you.

Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The 'Heil Hitler' salute in Nazi Germany, famously known for being just sort of an optional thing when instigated by an authority figure.