Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what

Kimmalah posted:

No it wasn't Aatrek.

The guy wasn't a goon at all, he just gets posted in these creepy threads a lot and for some reason people get it mixed up.

This was all over the news here, as Purcell isn't far from where I live.

KXII
Murder Charge Filed in Purcell Death
Services For Slain Girl Held in Purcell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what

bladedsmoke posted:

I just finished reading a book about this, so I thought I'd look up the relevant Wikipedia pages: The wreck of the Batavia, in 1628, and the subsequent reign of terror on a tiny group of desert islands just off western Australia that left 110 men, women and children dead - and not because of starvation or thirst, but almost all murdered on the orders of one of the castaways, Jeronimus Cornelisz.

Jeronimus had an uncanny command of the mutineers, who did all of the murders at his bidding. He himself seemed more comfortable issuing orders to murder, than committing them himself, and in many ways was a fairly pathetic figure - the wiki lists his only personal act of violence as when he "tried and failed to poison a baby."

It all culminated when a Dutch ship, coming to rescue the survivors, came across a pitched battle between two groups of castaways - the "Defenders" and the mutineers. The Defenders, led by the common soldier Wiebbe Hayes, were a small group of soldiers who Jeronimus had suspected he'd be unable to convince to mutiny, so he tricked them into looking for water on a nearby island before leaving them stranded without boats. Ironically, Jeronimus had thought he was leaving the Defenders to die, but their island actually turned out to have a water source while Jeronimus's did not.

Fishermen are still discovering skeletal remains of the massacre on the islands today. Something good did come out of it, though:

Stuff You Missed in History Class also did a good 2 part podcast on the wreck and mutiny.

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what

Hoopy Frood posted:

Surely some Sigur Ros will relax you after that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhPuZsIkRj8

How about Morrissey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHBZFSYA12A

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
I'm just waiting for it to hit Facebook and treated as real.