Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Saiphiriel posted:

It reminds of one of my alltime favourites, the Taman Shud Case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_case

From my experience (I've lived in Adelaide all my life, and known of this story for about 6 years) nobody in Adelaide has ever heard about this. And it's fascinating.

It makes me wonder if there are other towns around the world which may have an incredible story attached to them that the residents just don't acknowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

benito posted:

I've been in a lot of different caves in several different states. For the most part they are enjoyable hikes underground. Serious spelunkers go through tunnels called meat grinders because you're pushing your body through a tube of jagged rock in hopes of reaching a separate cavern. If you get stuck or if water drains into the tunnel, you are royally screwed. If anyone is claustrophobic, imagine being underground in a rock tunnel that is barely the width of your shoulders and you have to inch along with your knees and elbows.

This is an actual recurring nightmare of mine. I don't know how anyone can willfully put themselves through something like this.

The amazing part is, the caves where you can do this activity (pay some money, get taken through a tiny claustrophobic cave and come out safely on the other side) were at one point, totally unexplored. Which means that one day, somebody decided to crawl head-first into an ever-narrowing crack in the ground, not knowing if they would reach a cavern or just get stuck there and die.

Nightmare fuel.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

moller posted:

In addition to everything others have said, psychological diagnoses are based (almost?) entirely on self-reporting. There's no current way to look into someone's head and determine that they have a psychological illness. To be diagnosed, the patient needs to feel that their behavior is problematic and seek medical help for it. Of course, in the 'states they also need to be able to afford to do this.

A mental disorder that causes altruism without ruining the quality of the patients life in other ways isn't a disorder. It's just their personality.

This self-reporting model is muddied by the idea of post-hoc application of labels like criminally insane or what have you, but those are matters of law, not medicine.

This is a recurring theme in House.

Dr. House, on a few occasions, argues that selflessness and generosity are symptoms of a neurological condition, and such attributes can never occur naturally.