Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

The Chowchilla school bus kidnapping has always struck a chord with me.

Basically, a school bus is en route to dropping the children off at their homes one afternoon. The driver sees a motorist in distress and stops to assist only to have the bus overtaken by three men wearing nylon stocking hats and waving guns. In a matter of minutes, the driver and 26 students (ranging from ages 5-14) find themselves as hostages. They are forced to board a van and taken on an 11 hour disorienting drive. They are then made to climb into a hole into the ground. After about 12 hours, and with no idea of when or if they would be freed, the captives began to look for any possible way to escape. They manage to climb out of their chamber and 36 hours after their capture, the driver and children are free. However, during the hours that their captives had been underground, their kidnappers had not been inactive. The next step of their plan was to demand a $5 million ransom. Unfortunately for them, they are soon greeted with the news that the hostages had safely escaped. The article goes more in depth as to their panic at this point and time because they had failed to plan for this particular scenario and investigations quickly zoom in on their men.

I can't imagine being one of those school children heading home only to be confronted with scary men brandishing weapons.
I can't imagine being the driver, responsible for the children under such duress.
I can't imagine the terror of the parents wondering where their children have disappeared to.

The whole thing is pretty damned unnerving. The article is worth a read as I've left out some fascinating details including, but not limited to, the driver being hypnotised for clues (he remembered their license plate!) to the bungled plans of the perpetrators who had set out to perform a "perfect crime" (as one of the defense lawyers later told The Chronicle, the trio's plan "would make a great...comedy because nothing went right.")

Jeez, I sure hope that bus driver never drove a school bus again. Seems like the logical course of action when driving a bus full of children would be more "finish the drop-offs and notify highway patrol" and less "effectively extend 26 children's school day by an undetermined amount of time while I change this tire for a stranger". The former would of course have been harder in 1976 but I can't imagine anyone at any time thinking that leaving a busload of hot, tired children on the side of the road, even to help someone out, was a good idea. Even at my podunk school (only a few years later than this incident) no bus driver would have done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
e: ignore, I'm dumb

Chicken McNobody has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Feb 17, 2015