Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Jambo Jambos posted:

http://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/

Bouvet Island lies in the furthest reaches of the storm-wracked Southern Ocean, far south even of the Roaring Forties. It is a speck of ice in the middle of a freezing fastness: a few square miles of uninhabited volcanic basalt groaning under several hundred feet of glacier, scraped raw by gales, shrouded by drifts of sea-fog, and utterly devoid of trees, shelter, or landing places.

So how did a rowing boat, a forty-four gallon drum and a pair of oars appear on the island. Whose were they? What happened them?

This blog is a gem; a lot of really interesting stuff, and well-written. I found the story of the family living isolated in the Russian taiga for decades again, which I loved. It was posted in the old thread but I'll post it again in case anyone hasn't read it: http://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/lost-in-the-taiga/

A team of geologists discovers a family of six living in complete isolation after having retreated into the Siberian mountains from Peter the Great's religious persecution. The youngest children had never seen another human face and spoke to each other in their own dialect.

quote:

The silence was suddenly broken by sobs and lamentations. Only then did we see the silhouettes of two women. One was in hysterics, praying: ‘This is for our sins, our sins.’ The other, keeping behind a post… sank slowly to the floor. The light from the little window fell on her wide, terrified eyes, and we realized we had to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You posted in the other thread about the dude who was obsessed with you, right? You should retell that story, it was p unnerving.
(would y'all mind removing the link? It's not a hard story to find but I don't want my university linked with my account here... sorry, after something like that you get a little paranoid. :shobon: It's a very, very small school. )

Yeah. It's a short story, but definitely not something I ever thought I'd be dealing with. Dude was in my social circle, although I didn't know him very well. He was in a fraternity that I had a mixer with. He messaged me on FB and after some casual conversation asked for my number, saying that he needed someone to talk to and that I seemed like I could help him. I gave it to him and he texted me a fair bit after that. I had assumed he was gay, actually, so when he started inviting me over to his apartment to drink wine and "let the words flow like water," I got a little skeeved out and told him I wasn't interested in anything but being friends. Then things started to escalate, and he would send me weird, vague messages, and call me asking to meet with him. He kept saying that he just needed to tell me "one thing and it will all be over." I never met with him. This was during this tense period where the police kept finding mutilated cat corpses around campus, being displayed in more elaborate ways. One was strung up on a flag pole in the middle of campus. A few days after Halloween I got out of class and had like 40 messages from friends who had heard before me that the guy had been arrested as the suspect. I'm really, really glad that I never met with him alone. I had been posting on Facebook about the cat killings, like everyone else, because I love cats and am involved with some humane society stuff. He liked a few of the pictures I posted of my own cat.

So there's not much to the story. A guy who seemed normal if a little troubled messaged me wanting to meet up and confess something, turns out to have been mutilating cats.That's the last I heard of him. It still really bothers me that he has my phone number and knows a lot of information about me just from being Facebook friends.

edit: went back through my old text messages and found this. I couldn't remember the exact words he used, but this is the message that still makes me shiver every now and then.

really glad I never went to speak with him in person.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 05:10 on May 17, 2014

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

God drat, that baby that was killed, more info and one of the most startling pictures I have ever seen (NWS - dead baby) here:
http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f226/death-jasmin-correa-child-warning-134951/

Also, part 2 of that video is well worth checking out, the ending is crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQ8_LkkaW0&t=515s

Can anyone point out specific points in the video that are crazy/creepy? The first one just seemed like a bunch of shots of a dingy, gross hotel. Is it all just shots of stains on the floor and sheets or does something really strange happen at some point?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the weird part. Starting at 7 minutes, she talks about the creepy bellboy, then returns to her room the next morning to find that someone had used her bathroom during the night.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 04:38 on May 27, 2014

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

RevSyd posted:

"Whipping Tom" was the nickname given to a pair of serial spankers in 1700s era England.

The Demon Spanker of Fleet Street

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I honestly thought you guys were being facetious with the title of that documentary.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, there's the Devil's Kettle, which features a vertical shaft into which a river flows. And nobody has any idea where the water goes or what geologic processes could have formed a pothole that conducts water away laterally to someplace or other:

That's the mystery hole there on the left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_C._R._Magney_State_Park#The_Devil.27s_Kettle

I'm pretty sure I read about it in a previous iteration of this thread, but it's still plenty scary to me. I guess there are no confirmed cases of people falling in, but there's a thought for you to consider tonight as you're trying to drift off to sleep.

Has there not been any updates on this area? Surely scientists now could find something more sophisticated to drop in there besides ping pong balls. Some kind of GPS device and track its route? I know poo poo all about this kind of stuff so I guess it baffles me that they haven't figured it out yet really.

edit: oh, duh. did some Googling and found a few people asking the same question. GPS won't really work underground. Well. drat, then.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Dec 15, 2014

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

There's a documentary some friends and I watched about something in a similar vein called The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden

The best description of the whole mess I've found comes from some site called Rough Guides.

EDIT: Though that article doesn't mention the fact that the Wittmers settled there because Heinz read some of Friedrich's crap that somehow got published, or that Friedrich was really pissed that he and Dore wouldn't have the entire island to themselves and went out of his way to make that known to the Wittmers. Or that Margaret Wittmer was Not Okay with her husband just moving the family to literally the middle of nowhere.

Seriously, watch the documentary, it's fascinating.

Does it mention what happened to the Wittmer's son, Harry? It doesn't say what happened to him after his initial mention.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

I work with patients with this in the hospital and rehab outpatient. It's pretty unnerving to see it unfold, especially Wernike's. Broca's (expressive) aphasia isn't so bad because it's nonfluent, so you'll just have a patient struggling to generate the word "cup" for 5 minutes. Sometimes you can give them a cue like "you drink from a..." And their brain will produce "cup." But asking them to name things spontaneously is nearly impossible. I was doing confrontational naming with a guy who had anomic aphasia, and he had these windows of clarity but could, for the most part, only produce his name, "telephone," and "clock." I asked him, "What is this?" and patted his bed, and his response was "Telephone. No. Telephone. I KNOW that's a telephone. No, tele..." Then he stopped and sat there shaking his head. "It's bad. That's all there is. I know it's bad." Having the awareness of the deficit is rough. But spontaneous recovery kicked in and he did much better after that.

But there are a lot of treatment protocols. And being able to understand language puts them in a better position to use other tools, like AAC devices and communication board, to be able to communicate with people.

Now, Wernike's will freak a patient's family out significantly more. It's hard for them to grasp, that their speech is there but it's entirely meaningless, they're fluent but it's all a word salad empty jumble. And not understanding speech limits the therapy options to very very few. You rely on a lot of pictures and gestures, but sometimes even that is impaired.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

Can these people communicate by drawing? Like, if they're thirsty, could they draw a glass of water? Or is that ability similarly impaired?

It depends. Drawing, writing, and reading are all assessed separately from language. Like, you'll have a patient who can't tell you his address but can read a complex passage and nod yes or no to answer context questions, or a patient who can verbally spell any word but can't write it down. And then sometimes there will be neglect, which is also a fascinating subject: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispatial_neglect which is crazy to see manifest. A patient may eat only the left side of their tray, or think that their left arm has been amputated.

There are various drawing based therapy programs, and you usually just try a bunch until something sticks.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

I kept waiting for the description of the park area based on plantation fields with cast members dressed as slaves or a trail of tears monorail tour or something, but… it just seems like a regular theme park? Other than being a big theme park what's the scary part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
More from Murder by Gaslight

The Veiled Murderess

quote:

In 1854, a woman calling herself Henrietta Robinson stood trial in Troy, New York, for poisoning a neighbor and his sister-in-law. Despite the judge’s admonitions, she sat through the trial with her face covered by a black veil, hiding her appearance from the throngs of spectators who had come to watch. Everything about the defendant was a mystery—her motive for murder, her behavior before and after the crime, and even her true identity. It was well known that “Henrietta Robinson” was an assumed name, but who she really was has never been determined