Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
There was a really good "Comedy Goldmine" front page article about horrifying things companies have done, posted way back in 2009:

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I've had it a bunch of times. It's exactly the same mechanism as when you black out from drinking.

I kept having surgeries on my hand after I crushed it in a car wreck in 2013 and my pinky was reattached, and it was administered as part of general anesthesia (I can't comment on exactly how routine this is, though). I'm not sure if this might have been just because there is sometimes a need to be woken up so the plastic surgeon can assess my ability to move my hand, and you can be brought back to consciousness yet still in that black-out "fugue state".

My cousin had the similar procedures because of a similar type of injury, but he REMEMBERS being woken up. He told me about looking at his filleted-open hand at his own request, moving it or something, then going back to sleep. This would have been in the early nineties or even earlier, which is (I believe) before Versed was being used, or at least was mainstream.

Most EMT's have really strict protocols to adhere to, and would probably only be able to administer the drug under a Doctors explicit direction (these vary by state in the US). If it's used in a hospital setting, it's probably under the observation of multiple doctors - and it's inappropriate use is probably the type of ethics violation and/or malpractice they work really hard to avoid.

So yeah, it's an interesting thing to think about, but not something I'd personally worry about because in The infrequent instances that it IS used, it's drat justified.

Reminds me a little bit of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine, which criminals in South America use to incapacitate you and get you into a highly suggestible, passive state in which you'll reputedly help them carry the stuff they're stealing from you.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
It sounds like Münchausen Syndrome By Proxy, where a caregiver tries to garner validation by means of the attention they receive when their wards are ill (or die) by making them Ill or die.

Another interesting one is called Hero Syndrome where a person creates a tragedy, and then comes in and saves people so that they can be seen as a hero. Usually involves starting fires, then rescuing people from them. This is more of a term to describe an act than it is a legitimately diagnosable thing.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Zeroisanumber posted:

Oh yes. We get those from time to time at my hospital. One guy that we brought in after a passerby found him flopping around in a snowbank because he was so drunk that he was unable to walk had a BAC of .62. Dude was still talking to me in the back of my ambulance and feisty enough to take a swing at me when I tried to grab his wallet to get an ID. From what I heard later they spent four days drying him out in intensive care where he was treated for frostbite and pretty severe vitamin deficiency. He was easily and by far the most hard-core alcoholic that I've ever met.

That's a cool story. I had more content to post but my ipad is lovely and has refreshed the page on my typed post 3 loving times now.

...But his "vitamin deficiency was probably "wet brain", where you lack vitamin B1 a.k.a thiamin, and it gives you like lesions, or holes in your brain. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernicke%96Korsakoff_syndrome. Everyone remember to get their alcoholism treated before their disease progresses to the point that 100% of your calories come from lovely vodka.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
PATULOUS ANUS: ITS CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE