Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

bonestructure posted:

I seem to remember that there was a family member of one of the dead boys who abruptly had all of his teeth pulled when the police announced that they were analyzing a bite mark on one of the bodies. There was a lot of weird stuff with that case.

Yeah, it was one of the kids step-dads or mom's boyfriends or whatever.

There's no way the kids did it and they totally got railroaded because they didn't fit into the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

This whole sorry saga is a terrible indictment of the justice system in the US. Those boys are so clearly innocent that making them take Alford pleas rather than just exonerating them, and attempting to find the real killer(s), is beyond belief.

But think how it would damage the justice system if there was a risk for viciously attacking blatantly innocent victims to close a case.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Honestly those monkey studies, aside from being ethically horrific , gave a lot of insight into animal intelligence and social behavior. There's probably ways we could have learned that in a less morally depraved way, but it wasn't a completely worthless study where he just tortured animals for fun and we learned nothing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

loving hell, the guy is saying he knows its not a popular conclusion and that he has doubts and yet everyone wants to jump on him and insult his intelligence. Sometimes we goons act just as bad as the cops and prosecutor in this case when we get one idea in our heads and just loving can't see past it. Dude's actually agreeing with you that they shouldn't have been convicted, but since he doesn't agree with you the right way you're acting like babies. This whole thing has been talked to death each time it's comes up in the last few iterations of this thread and not once that I can remember has anyone ever said that they should have been found guilty. Let it go. Lets move on.

He came in and accused people who say they were definitely innocent of just watching biased documentaries and not legitimately researching the case like he had and then used a near-legally retarded kid's coerced confession as evidence to support his point.

I mean it was less what he said and more the way he implied everyone who didn't think the same thing as him was less informed or ignorant. It was pretty condescending.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How in the gently caress.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because altruism isn't a sickness.

Someone tell all the people who love Ayn Rand.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Astrofig posted:

So realistically what happens when we run out of helium? No more balloons/parade floats springs to mind but would the actual consequences be worse than that?

You could read the loving article right above your post. It has a ton of medical and technological applications.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Eh the Soviets starved millions of people to death on purpose and killed millions more in gulags (not always on purpose) so I have a hard time getting unnerved about a couple of dogs.

I was a vegetarian for 22 years for ethical reasons and I feel bad when I kill bugs and I still agree with you. Human life is always more valuable.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

He sounds exactly like the type of person who would be arrogant enough to think he could get away with murder.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

I had this exact conversation with an Australian coworker in the US. Apparently, if you grow up around a bunch of poisonous yet tiny creatures, you just get used to it, but the notion of large predators who are capable of eating a person - bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc - is terrifying. None of those in Australia, if you don't count sharks.

Or crocodiles.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

M42 posted:

Welp, I was wondering which article would make me swear off reading this thread for a while, and that Mohammed one's it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Douglas Mawson was hardcore.

He may be the most badass person to ever live. He lived to be 76 and had two kids after his dick getting flayed by the cold.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I don't see her being sent to prison for decades as disturbing - what happened was rape, the patient didn't consent, and couldn't with the IQ of a very young child, no matter what her Ouija board said. Regardless, sexual relationships between a doctor and their patient is considered unethical, she would have known that.

Do you believe she is a threat to society? To the extent that potentially 40 years removed from it is justified? She's being charged and punished the same as a malicious predator who rapes someone to assert power over them while she's just a severely mentally ill woman who was living out some sad misguided fantasy. Is her career and professional and personal reputation being completely destroyed not a substantive punishment?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bonster posted:

I don't believe she was mentally ill, she bought into her own hype and was projecting her own wants and desires onto another person who was incapable of expressing his own. I haven't seen anything that stated she was mentally ill or not able to understand what she was doing - that's the danger of things like facilitated communication. It's unconscious influence. The person who is facilitating genuinely believes that the person with the disability is the one communicating. With her long history of disability rights and minority rights advocacy, what kind of relationship would better enforce her worldview than one with a profoundly disabled, poor African-American man?

She's got to cling to the belief that the communication she received from him was genuine, or everything she's ever believed herself to be falls apart.

What exactly do you consider to be mental illness if having conversations and a romance with someone else whose entire "person" is actually just imaginary projections from your own mind doesn't count.

Like if she believed a rock had a consciousness and was in love with her would you think she was mentally sound or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Woodburger posted:

This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read. Stop defending a rapist you twat.

I'm not defending a rapist you loving idiot. I'm asking if the legal system should make some kind of differentiation between legally similar but contextually very different crimes and whether or not someone who had a make believe relationship with a person who doesn't actually exist might be better served with some kind of psychiatric treatment than facing the exact same punishment as a sexual sadist who walked up to a person in a parking lot and threw them to the ground and forcibly raped them. I never said she didn't commit rape or shouldn't face punishment, just that there should maybe be some distinction between her and a violent sexual predator and currently there isn't one.

It must be nice to live in a black and white world where all bad people are equally dismissable and justice is whatever the worst the legal system can do to them is.