Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Hihohe posted:

gently caress your hippie bullshit I bet if we stuffed enough nukes in mother nature's stupid face we could crack her like krypton. I'd bet she'd remember that

Nature - from space, not nice old mother earth, that is, - can do us one better. Gamma Ray Bursts.

Basically, when a big enough star goes supernova, or hypernova, even, it will release a pulse of extremely energetic particles along its primary axis. We can see gamma ray bursts from other galaxies safely - hell, it's how we actually figure out how far away they are. But, if we had a star with the right orientation, pointing right at us, produce a gamma ray burst, we'd all be dead quick enough we couldn't literally see it coming until it was too late, not that we could actually DO anything about it, either. One of the big mass extinctions before the dinosaurs (The ordovician-silurian extinction event) could have been caused by a gamma ray burst.

Don't gently caress with nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think the point is that a civilization of humans that far off won't be able to understand what in the 3 golden head of maa'c duuhn ahlds we're trying to communicate to them. It'd be like trying to read hieroglyphics without the rosetta stone, except in this case the mummy's curse is replaced with delicious radiation poisoning.