Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I remember reading a sci fi story once, I can't remember the name offhand, where the world was spinning along just doing its thing when all of the sudden combustion just stopped working. The False Vacuum idea reminds me of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alouicious posted:

yeah man you stick it to those people who aren't posting in this thread

Totally bitching out whomever isn't around is as American as apple pie.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nckdictator posted:

*Oskar_Dirlewanger*

I'm not a violent guy, but I don't blame those Polish guards in the slightest.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of alcohol, withdrawal can actually kill you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens
My father works as a nurse and he was once stationed on a remote island when someone went through delirium tremens, since he lacked any medication he frantically started knocking on doors asking if someone had some booze.

Oh yes. We get those from time to time at my hospital. One guy that we brought in after a passerby found him flopping around in a snowbank because he was so drunk that he was unable to walk had a BAC of .62. Dude was still talking to me in the back of my ambulance and feisty enough to take a swing at me when I tried to grab his wallet to get an ID. From what I heard later they spent four days drying him out in intensive care where he was treated for frostbite and pretty severe vitamin deficiency. He was easily and by far the most hard-core alcoholic that I've ever met.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Transmogrifier posted:

He's been going into a bunch of threads posting that same post.

Oh, it's supposed to be random and funny. K.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

kittenmittons posted:

Speaking of terrible crimes in Indiana, here's one from my hometown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer

A bunch of teenage girls kidnap, torture, burn alive, and murder a 12 year old girl. Yeah, it's pretty much as depressing and unnerving as it sounds. :smith:

I'm about six months older than that girl was. If she were still alive she'd probably be making the same anachronistic pop culture references that I do.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I see it the opposite way. Assuming humanity survives that long, then given the rapid progression of technology we've seen even only recently, we should be able to stop it by then. :unsmith:

We'd probably just go to a different galaxy in a different dimension that was young and full of potential energy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

When the bombs fall and blast this little dirtball to a cinder, I'll have a tiny smile on my face.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

Why wouldn't he just try to kill it? I know that a barber-surgeon amputation isn't probably a very attractive option, but if you think there is a loving evil devil on your head whispering to you the terrible secrets of the universe what do you really have to lose by sleeping on your back one night and smothering the fucker?

Actually, I don't think there's any way you could share your head with another face without it having to be connected to your lungs and having a big lump of brain for it to think its malign thoughts, or at least breathe.

:ssh:It's just a story, Poor Edward never lived in the real world.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wildeyes posted:

Yeah. During a crisis, a huge percentage of people loving freeze up and allow death to take them. This link goes into more detail about that phenomenon:

I've seen that in my own life. Some crazy bum broke into my house once while my roommate and I were home, he held my roommate a knifepoint and demanded cash from the both of us. I gave him what we had on us, and then he told me to get into the closet while he took my roommate to go look for more stuff to steal. She wouldn't move, she was completely paralyzed with fear and didn't even look like she was hearing a word that was being said. She didn't speak or move (other than to sit in a chair) until the cops got there later on.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Holy poo poo. Something similar happened to my roommates and I, but we were three in shape guys so we just kicked the poo poo out of the burglar. The dude didn't do anything to her right? Cause asking one person to go into seclusion while they force a woman into another room sets off all my rape alarms.

He told me to get in the closet and I told him to go gently caress himself. He was sort of high, so he just stood there looking confused and vaguely waving the knife at me. I lost it at that point and walked into the kitchen, grabbed a butcher's knife, and came back and stabbed him in the shoulder. It wasn't a real deep stab, but it freaked him out and he ran away. Total haul: $70 and one of my steak knives. The cops never did catch him.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nckdictator posted:

Also, we just passed September 8th, the anniversary (1642, New England) of one of the first executions in what is now the US.

Man, furries had it rough in colonial New England.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the entire history of the human race, though. Remember that history is written by the winner; if our side burned an entire nation to the ground it was just the price of victory. If the enemy burned everything down and we won they're horrible, hideous monsters. Pearl Harbor is considered a dastardly, awful violation of America but lighting the entire drat island on fire in the Japanese theater? Pfft, whatever. Had to win the war somehow.

"Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."
-Tacitus

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

That's actually a good case study on why torture doesn't work. In the end though the entry of the Soviet Union to the war against Japan had more to do with their surrender than anything else; the US blowing away entire cities in a single day was just business as usual whether it came from one bomb or thousands.

You're right to the extent that the Soviet invasion destroyed one of the last illusions that the diehards were hanging their hopes on, but the atom bombs certainly terrified them and helped push Hirohito towards the decision to surrender. The lot of them were under so much stress and so scared of the future that they spent a lot of time fiddle-loving around with imperial ceremony and interservice rivalries and trying to find a way out of dying a "glorious" death.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

khwarezm posted:

That depends, one of the problems was that the United States felt that guaranteeing the status of the emperor meant that the rest of the Japanese high command would be much more difficult to prosecute, and in any event whether Hirohito was actually 'clean' with regards to Japan's conduct during the war remains controversial.

I don't think that it's particularly controversial, Hirohito was in it up to his neck, it's just not widely known because of post-war US-Japanese policy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bean_shadow posted:

Did Americans do the same to Germans? I mean, I doubt it but that's why I'm asking. The Soviets certainly raped and pillaged East Germany at least but Germany never did any damage to the United States. And the propaganda against Germany was more about ideology and propaganda against Japan was about race, seeing them as less than human whereas Germans were white.

There were local atrocities and criminal acts, but by and large the Western Front was civilized by comparison. The Anglo-American and French armies were notorious for stealing anything that wasn't nailed down though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I feel like I was reading somewhere that Stalin and the Soviets didn't really have the equipment ready to launch a landing on the Japanese islands? Maybe it was just the threat of it potentially happening even if it was an unrealistic one.

They didn't have to, without the resources coming in from the mainland the Japanese couldn't sustain their war effort. Though there were active Japanese communist groups on the islands, and the Emperor was worried enough about the possibility of an internal uprising that he cited it as one of the reasons to surrender.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

As someone who is broke from 11 years in the Infantry, I can't imagine 90 years. This dude had to be a loving Terminator sent back to kill John Connor's great great grandfather or something.

"Ride in the wagon? gently caress that, imma show these 16-year old kids how to march in winter."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Khazar-khum posted:

The rest of the squadron felt Goering was a blowhard who cared only for his own advancement.

The rest of the squadron was right, Goering was a grasping swine his entire life.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Dude did have a baller train set though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kanine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKTx9YlKls

Bob Dylan wrote a song about this. It's one of the most chilling things I think he's wrote.

He wrote other chilling things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YKE7MK7KVc

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Noisycat posted:

Well, I think I read somewhere that they have DNA or something. I don't know if they could test me to see if anything matched.

If they have actual DNA from the perp, then it'd be pretty easy for them to confirm with just a cheek swab from you.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
That whole area is now a pleasant little stopover for people traveling between Minneapolis and Duluth. Gas, a few decent restaurants, and some really good caramel rolls at a place called Toby's. Hard to believe that it was ever destroyed by a forest fire. We get forest fires here in Minnesota, but not nearly as large or severe as the fires out west, and nothing as intense as the Hinckley fire has happened in my lifetime.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The loving Imperial Japanese Airforce didn't do a 10th of the damage to Darwin that Tracy did.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

The museum in Darwin has a darkened room where you can step in and listen to a sound recording made during Tracy by a priest. It's covered in warnings before you enter - and no joke, it's utterly terrifying to listen to.

Youtube is magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyuFmk6s_U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nckdictator posted:

Not really unnerving but more of a case of hilariously bad luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink%27s_robbery_%281981%29

Get shot by literal Communist bank robbers, live, and then die at the World Trade Center on 9/11 when you don't even work there and you were going to retire the next year.

I worked that job in college. The sad thing is that if the robbers had just drawn down on them, the guards would've almost certainly given up the cash without a fight. There's no loving way that a couple of working joes are going to take a bullet for someone else's money.