Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Crankit posted:

Is he a nazi apologist? I thought he was just nuts?

He's nuts with an occasional sideline into Protocols of Zion quoting and some early dabbling in holocaust denial but there's so much going on with him it's hard to sort through all the crap. It's a toss-up as to whether he's just using 'lizard overlords' as a codeword for 'jews' or he actually believes shapeshifting lizards (and a few dozen other alien species) are ruling the earth.

Jon Ronson did a good article/documentary on him (some of which can be read here) which suggests he is actually a true believer and means every word he says, while some of the guys following him are more on the 'jewish conspiracy' side of things. Googling 'Icke nazi' brings up a whole bunch of white power websites claiming he's part of the conspiracy himself and is just trying to slander the good name of Nazis though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

nerdz posted:

How about the Champawat Tiger? Estimated 430 deaths by one tiger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champawat_Tiger

The weirdest thing about this it that apparently it started hunting humans because its canines were damaged in a way that prevented it from hunting its natural prey. So humans were an easier target.

Most maneaters follow a regular pattern. They're too old or injured yo hunt their usual prey, or maybe there isn't any this year so they're starving. They probably start scavenging around settlements out of their usual range, maybe find a dead body recently buried and hey, free protein!

After that it progresses to opportunistic attacks on pets or humans, then full on stalking because guns aside humans are pretty weedy yet fairly tasty. Takes an usual set of circumstances for them to start attacking but once it finds a pattern it'll usually keep going until it dies or gets put down.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Alhazred posted:

The Champawat Tiger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champawat_Tiger
It was responsible for 430 deaths and held an entire village under siege. It was shot by Jim Corbett who as a gift received human fingers found in the stomach of the tiger.
As a sidenote Corbett realized that most wild animals became man eaters as result of human attacks and spent his life trying to save the tigers and even helped create a national park.

Corbett was an interesting guy. He did a series of memoirs on his time as a hunter that are straight out of a Boy's Own annual. Full of him wandering around India in search of man eaters while wearing shorts and a pith helmet and accompanied by a terrier called Robin.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Jack Gladney posted:

It has some hallmarks of fraud, like going the media route before establishing a business to make or sell the stuff and never letting anyone do more than some initial testing, plus being a huckster showman about it. Plus, it really plays into the lone maverick genius myth that Americans love so much, but what could some guy do in his garage that dupont couldn't? It's not like there aren't lots of people trying to make heat shielding.

Plus, why wouldn't his family use the stuff to make money now that he's dead? Or sell what's left of his notes?

Not letting any reports be published in journals is a ten-story high flashing-red warning sign to me.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jan 10, 2015

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Puseklepp posted:

He did let a couple companies run tests on it though, including a subdivision of the British ministry of defense. If it's a fraud there's a lot of people in on it.

Heh, anyone who has even been vaguely in contact with the BMoD procurement process knows that's no guarantee of anything...

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ElwoodCuse posted:

I can't remember enough specifics to turn it up but I read about a crashed World War 2 plane full of unexploded ordnance. It's underwater and in a busy area so no one will risk salvaging it and the government just put up buoys telling people to stay the hell away.

There's lots of them. Europe is still littered with bombs from both world wars. Only this week they had to shut the Tower Bridge landmark in London due to a UXB, and the fields in France and Belgium have what's know as 'the iron harvest' where farmers regularly plow up shells, equipment and remains from the old trenches. I can imagine the Pacific Islands near Japan have a similar amount of wrecks.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

bonestructure posted:

I'm no Tom Mahood, but here is my theory about what happened to Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froon. I'm going to post this in two parts, because it's gotten really long.

Nicely thought out and well-written, I assume you know the area? Sounds like a plausible theory anyway. It's really easy to panic on a trail you don't know even in a fairly 'safe' area and I've been guilty of it myself - I think most hikers have at some point.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

MikeCrotch posted:

I get the impression that US military bases are a lot more remote than they are in Europe. I can only speak to living in the UK, but its not uncommon for barracks to be smack bang in the middle of suburbs. Even with bases which don't have obvious purposes, you can usually see buildings from the fence line. I can't remember ever seeing something marked for military use that didn't clearly have occupied buildings within walking distance.

One or two firing ranges down south like the Lulworth area in Dorset, but even those are open to the public at certain times. I've walked through the tank ranges there and they have signs warning you not to leave the cleared paths. Most training is done on remote public land tbh; Dartmoor, the Highlands, Snowdonia.

We don't have the same kind of space available as the US and the majority of none-urban areas here is farmland or unsuitable for building due to terrain. There's not much else you can do with miles of miles of empty land in Utah beyond fence it in and use it for target practice, and there's always more space in the next state.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I wouldn't want to clean out the interior of an escalator after that.

"Hey Harry. Listen, can't really go into it but you're going to have to come in early tonight. Oh, and make sure you bring the really big wire brush, please. And some spare pants."

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Well of course it's terrifying, and I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

But like I said, the alternative things he could have been doing are so much worse. It's like breaking into the White House with a suitcase nuke at 4 AM and then making the President a sandwich.

Funny you should mention that.

Michael Fagan

quote:

Fagan entered the palace through an unlocked window on the roof and spent the next half hour eating cheddar cheese and crackers and wandering around. He tripped several alarms, but they were faulty. He viewed the royal portraits and rested on the throne for a while.

Not exactly unnerving, but being able to walk into the bedroom of a head of state unchallenged during the Cold War is a bit tense when you think about it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

FrozenVent posted:

You have no idea. Wine and food are basically France's religion.

Charles de Gaulle famously lamented the difficulties of governing a nation with two hundred and forty-six types of cheese.

I once asked for a medium-rare steak in Paris and the waiter looked at me like I'd asked him to take a poo poo on my plate. He went in the back to argue loudly with the chef and finally brought out a steak which had been fried for all of thirty seconds on each side, which he slammed on the table with a 'loving English tourist' glare. Do not gently caress with a Frenchman's food.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

FrozenVent posted:

What is wrong with you?

English. Pardon.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Dec 31, 2015

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That wrestling thing was mental. They just carried on. Idk what it was that actually killed the guy but shaking him like crazy definitely isn't a thing they teach you in first aid courses.

The other wrestlers clearly know something is up because Rey pulls his kick over the guy's head when he's still on the ropes and hasn't gone all the way down. They quickly go for a finish so they can get him off without making it too obvious, but guessing they didn't realise how bad he was hurt. No idea what the gently caress the bald guy thought he was doing though.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

outlier posted:

In defence of the camp director - what are you supposed to do at that point? Most threats are hoaxes and an unknown person threatening to murder three campers sometime isn't anything to go on.

(And how does someone get 3 children out of their tent - which is 80 metres from the counsellers tent - and into the woods?)

Kids are pretty dumb and trusting for the most part, and it's not impossibly difficult for someone to pretend to be a camp counsellor playing a trick on the other kids. "Let's sneak into the woods and make spooky noises outside their tents!"

Alternatively, threats of violence tend to work quite well when made by an adult. Admittedly grim but not a massive leap of logic.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Olewithmilk posted:

do you think the pussy leads straight to the intestines, bro?

All orifices do if you try hard enough, but there are multiple choices for fisting that aren't the vagina.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Accordion Man posted:

I don't know how widespread it was but I remember a more morbid offshoot of Bloody Mary back in the 90's, Blue Baby. It had a similar setup, going into a dark room, look into a mirror, and say its name three times and then you summoned it and it killed you, though you also had to rock your arms back and forth in a cradling motion. Blue Baby was supposed to be some baby that died or was killed.

This was alive on both sides of the channel, and before I knew anyone who had access to the Internet which is interesting. Must have been spread through TV. Got to admit I never really saw the appeal:

"No, it's really creepy! You say her name three times in the mirror and she appears and kills you!!!"
"OK, and if she's going to kill me why am I supposed to be trying this again?"

Kids are weird little shits.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

AnonSpore posted:

English football fans have their own wikipedia article

When we chant "Two World Wars and one World Cup" we aren't really making much of a distinction between the two things you know. National matches are a bonding experience where dyed-in-the-wool psychos and bamcases from rival teams across the country can put aside their differences and gather in the communal cause of kicking gently caress out of foreigners and anyone who looks a bit like a wrong'un.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Tehdas posted:

I'm sure the layperson of the times wouldn't know about crowd crush, but the institutions (police, stadium management, etc) knew about it and didn't stop it. If the individuals involved didn't know, then it's a failing of the people higher up in placing the individuals at that point in time.

The previous, very experience, superintendent who had overseen the last two semi-finals at Hillsborough had just been transferred out of the area and the new guy had never been in charge of a match. Coppers on the ground are about as knowledgeable about overcrowding as the average punter, even the without overall command issues. To add to that the stadium had no safety certificate due to previous crushes where people were injured. It was a perfect shitstorm really.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Scathach posted:

Stop being douchebags, this thread is good and weird and you're gonna ruin it. Jerks.

Have we discussed the Hinterkaifeck murders yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck_murders

Honestly the most unnerving part of this is that during the autopsy the victims skulls were removed and sent to Munich for examination by clairvoyants. Forensic Investigation was clearly very different back then.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Droogie posted:

It really is. I think I revisit it about once a year. It's just so well written, and the sense of panic and hopelessness is just crushing. I think we all believe ourselves to be wiser than that, but it really does that it just takes a few simple mistakes to gently caress yourself over if you're out of your element.

I hike a lot in the UK and even over here I've had a few moments of "if this weather turns or something goes wrong right now it could go very badly for me" while I'm out on the hills. I can't imagine what it would feel like in an area where there might not be another person around for few hundred miles. See also; that story earlier in the thread with the two girls who got lost off the jungle tourist trail.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Travis343 posted:

That's the most British sentence.

My train last week was delayed for nearly an hour due to (and I quote the very fed-up employee on the tannoy here) "the wrong kind of sunlight." It got him an ironic cheer from us who were waiting on the platform at least.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Comstar posted:

Part of it is probably because the coroner and investigation for Port Arthur was documented to an extreme level, beyond what a normal single homicide would have been. I suspect the Norway version that happened later is similarly detailed.

The Utøya attack isn't quite that in depth , but the Columbine one is exactly as unnervingly dissected - at times down to their actions at individual seconds.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holy crap, that's the Copenhagen Suborbitals dude who used to post about his stuff in GBS years and years ago.

I loving knew it! I was sure it was him but the news sites are all being really cagey about whether he was connected to CS or not - a lot of them just mention that they were involved with the sub but don't specifically say whether he was involved. Definitely some weird poo poo happening there because he's claiming he dropped her off at home...

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Hedenius posted:

It's not the goon. And I've heard this guy had a falling out with CS years ago and is not affiliated with them in any way these days.

Hence the lack of mentioning I guess. Does the CS goon still post in that case?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Besesoth posted:

I was born and raised in Maryland, and live there currently, and have never even once heard someone call Prince George's County by its full name in speech outside of news reports.

Anyway, update on Peter Madsen: he didn't drop Kim Wall off in Copenhagen. Now...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/world/europe/swedish-journalist-peter-madsen-danish.html

Oh, we're not done on this wild ride yet buddy.

Dismembered torso found amid search for submarine journalist.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Comstar posted:

What did he do to dismember her? Can't be much room or tools on a small submarine to do that.

Maybe she got decapitated by a closing watertight door?

Four extremely closely-spaced watertight doors perhaps. Who then tied her to a pile of scrap and chucked her overboard so she wouldn't float.

I'm just saying it's possible.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Good to see the british courts taking a stand against domestic violence:

Oxford student who stabbed boyfriend gets suspended sentence

Rich people can't commit crimes.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

BattleMaster posted:

You can buy bodies? There are pricing models for bodies? Higher-quality bodies fetch higher prices?

I guess I just never thought about this stuff before.

Even better - they were a rental service. Bodies by the hour.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Re. the Croydon cat killer: the 'independent organisation' who have been making most of the noises about these murders alongside pushing the police to open the initial investigation are going absolutely bug loving wild on their Facebook right now. Not happy bunnies. Or kitties.

Last time I checked the comment section was up to "well, the police don't care about the case so I guess when we catch this killer we won't need to call police as we brutally mutilate him because they won't care about that either!!!"

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Solice Kirsk posted:

So why aren't they believing it's predators/scavenging?

Same reason this thread aren't I assume? I think they're arguing it's too consistent or surgical to be predation, mostly.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I had thought there were two recent cat killers and one of them was leaving posed, mutilated cata while the other was carrying off heads and generally doing things a fox would do?

The one that's just been closed down is the Croydon Killer who is London/South East based and covers both of those things - police are saying it's predation with nothing to suggest staged or ritual mutilation, and owners are saying there is repeated deliberate posing of corpses. I haven't seen the evidence either way because the independent investigators don't release photos to preserve privacy of the victims (also they seem kind of exhausting to deal with).

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Blue On Blue posted:

Ah yes the secret hidden gem of 'duping' 911 to send a cop to your house, by uttering such phrases as 'send the police'

He was truly a master word smith

He had his moments.

quote:

There seemed to be no limit to what he could do: shut off your phone service, dig up your unlisted cellphone number, even listen in on your home phone — something only a handful of veteran phreaks can pull off. Celebrities were a favorite target. Weigman claims to have hacked and called the cellphones of Lindsay Lohan (“She was drunk, and my friend tried to have phone sex with her”) and Eminem (“He told me to gently caress off”). Last year, during the presidential campaign, Weigman heard a YouTube video of Mitt Romney’s son Matt dialing his dad. Weigman listened closely to the touch tones, deciphered the candidate’s cellphone number — and then made a call of his own. “Mitt Romney!” he said. “What’s going on, dude? Running for president?” Weigman says Romney told him to shove the phone up his rear end, and hung up.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a new godawful game out called YIIK.

https://imgur.com/a/wmYHCTx

It features something that belongs in this thread.

YIIKes

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Solice Kirsk posted:

Being a vegan must be super frustrating since nearly everything contains animal by products.

I gather it's way easier these days, but when all my teenage anarchist mates went vegan about fifteen years back their life was a real drag for a bit. There was one particular supermarket that sold budget lager that happened to be vegan and they would regularly clean the entire stock out as it was about their only source of fun. Well, that and huge amounts of drugs. Most of them ending up having to draw their own moral line for compromising a fully vegan diet (eggs or gelatin products for example) cause the other options were either too expensive or just not available where we were. Nowadays there's two decent vegan restaurants just in our tiny little town and nearly everywhere offers an option even if it's lovely.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Good famous people:

Terry Pratchett bought a friend of mine breakfast because he was at the convention she was working at and could see she was having a lovely morning.

Sir Patrick Stewart is a delightful human being who is very outspoken about abusive relationships.

After Pratchett started suffering from dementia he anonymously collaborated on an Oblivion mod which added an NPC follower who could remind the player of what they were doing/what quest they were on/lead them back out of a dungeon for the use of players who had short term memory issues like himself. He also used a lot of non-combat mods so he could hang around studying otherwise hostile NPCs like Goblins, which became the basis for Snuff (otherwise hostile horde secretly have a rich and fascinating culture ignored by the rest of the world who see them as trash mobs).

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Madkal posted:

Generation Why recently did an episode on Anthony Graves.

Here is a brief intro. A family (including kids) are brutally murdered and their house is burnt down. The police have a suspect and their guy is pretty much guilty as gently caress. Only problem is that the police are convinced he had an accomplice. They are absolutely certain of it in fact, and they grill him for a name. He gives them one. I will leave it there. Feel free to read the rest in this Texas Monthly article which covers all the details in their usual excellent way.

For anyone else reading this who was curious about what happened after, you'll probably be relieved to hear that Graves received the full amount of compensation and subsequently established a law scholarship in honour of his lawyer Nicola Cásarez. Sebasta was disbarred in 2015.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Genuine question and asking from a place of wanting to inform myself, but in the replies to that twitter thread there is a comment saying that it's a lynching because "who heard of a black man hanging himself?". Is this a genuine cultural trope that would make the case so unlikely to be suicide?

I'm asking because I had a friend who committed suicide in a basically identical manner, including using a public space, so it doesn't seem that wild to me at first glance but we are neither black nor American so I assume I'm missing a deeper cultural context. I'm aware of the history of lynchings, but is the idea of an black man choosing to using that method so far out there that it's not worth considering because of that history?

Considering the high tensions at the moment I'll be 0% surprised when it turns out to be an off duty cop or something, but wanted to educate myself and can't find specific stats in Google beyond firearms being the main used method in the same way as for other races in the US.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jun 12, 2020

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Terrible Opinions posted:

America does indeed have a history of people hanging black men and then claiming they just committed suicide. Going by statistics if a black man is found dead by "suicide" away from his home it is far far more likely that he was murdered and posed.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Thank you all for the effort posts and Koalas March thank you for telling your story. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I was worried I would come across as devil's advocating by asking the question, but after reading those answers can accept that my perspective is probably just a bit skewed from knowing someone who chose that fairly unusual method.

Obviously there's going to be no 'good' outcome of the case either way but I hope it turns out to be a tragic story rather than another case of brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm struggling to understand what happened, how did she not have enough energy - what happened?

Over the centuries lots of people have discovered that swimming in open water takes more effort than you expect - chasing a drifting boat and then dragging yourself onboard from the waterline doubly so. Dive boats have spotters and platforms for a reason. There usually isn't chance for a second lesson unfortunately.