Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
The Jonestown massacre, from wikipedia

Wikipedia posted:

"Jonestown" was the informal name for the Peoples Temple Agricultural Project formed by the Peoples Temple, an American religious organization under the leadership of Jim Jones, in northwestern Guyana. It became internationally notorious when on November 18, 1978, 918 people died in the settlement, at the nearby airstrip in Port Kaituma, and in Georgetown, Guyana's capital city. The name of the settlement became synonymous with the incidents at those locations.

A total of 909 Temple members died in Jonestown, all but two from apparent cyanide poisoning, in an event termed "revolutionary suicide" by Jones and some members on an audio tape of the event and in prior discussions. The poisonings in Jonestown followed the murder of five others by Temple members at Port Kaituma, including United States Congressman Leo Ryan. Four other Temple members died in Georgetown at Jones' command.

The really chilling part is the audio tape With Jones encouraging the mass suicide and the sound of children screaming in the background. The entire thing is eerie as gently caress but the famous part starts at around 35:40.

:nms:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Peoples_Temple_Cult_Death_Tape_Q042.ogg:nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah, the documentary does a pretty good job of painting how crazy the whole thing was, but also how Jones went about bringing normally completely sane individuals to the point where they'd think that poisoning their own babies and then themselves was the best choice of action. I can't imagine how frightening it must have been for the few people that survived, having to hide in the jungle or under beds hoping that the guards with guns didn't come find ad shoot them because they refused to kill themselves.

Yep, the fact that these were once completely normal people is really hosed up. It really hits home how anyone could be brought into cult in a time of weakness. The bit about them having to hide for fear of guards shooting them, were the guards actually instructed to shoot anyone who refused to kill themselves, or where they just there to imply it? From the wiki: "A total of 909 Temple members died in Jonestown, all but two from apparent cyanide poisoning" One of them was obviously Jones himself, I'm not sure about the other, but it looks although nobody was shot trying to escape. It's mind blowing to think that with the exception of the few who hid, nobody tried to actively resist. Also the guards themselves must have taken the poison willingly. I just can't imagine how brain washed they must have been to go through with it after everyone else was dead.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

FrozenVent posted:

Stuff like the guy filling a water bottle with bleach and chugging it?

gently caress! Did this actually happen? What happened to the guy?