Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

there was one year at my high school where we had 20+ bomb threats, I am old

Columbine was my senior year of high school. The year before, it seemed like every other day we had to evacuate for a bomb threat or a fire alarm. There wasn't really any punishment for the classmate or two that got caught.

It was a hick school in a hick county. Big Johnson shirts had been popular in middle school and no one bothered to ban them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

uranium grass posted:

Amazing year for cold cases, they've announced the child from the Boy in the Box case has been identified. Unfortunately I think this far on his parents have probably passed but perhaps he has some siblings that this will give some closure. I don't believe they've announced the ID yet.

Next week.

quote:

"The investigation will start all over again and then we'll start searching for a suspect," he said.

Throughout the years, numerous leads and theories have emerged regarding who the boy was and what happened to him.

"We thought maybe he was a Hungarian kid who came over in '56 when they had the Hungarian Revolution," Fleisher said. "We had all these theories. Thought maybe he was in the military."

Most of the tips and theories have been debunked however.

The boy's body has been exhumed twice and DNA was extracted each time.

Sources told NBC10 the most recent DNA sample finally led investigators to the child's identity. The sources say the DNA traced the child to a prominent family in Delaware County, Pennsylvania.

"It's a Philadelphia story," Fleisher said.

If the boy was from a prominent family, that immediately makes me think that for him to be dumped like that, that he was either mentally challenged or was born to a pregnancy that the family didn't want to acknowledge for other reasons.

Special education really didn't take off until the 1960s and it was even longer before many families kept a special ed child in the household as a regular member of the family.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There will be a press conference revealing all the details the Boy in the Box Thursday morning.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can understand not wanting to disturb the living family members, who are probably nieces/nephews or great nieces/nephews who don’t know anything, but I’d like to know who the parents were and whether anyone at the time knew they had a kid who disappeared.

There's bits coming out of Philadelphia Inquirer updates.

Justin Thomas was one of the genealogy links used to identify Zarelli. He'd taken a DNA test for the heck of it.

Philadelphia Inquirer posted:

Thomas said his family believes that the boy is likely a first cousin to his mom. The last name of his mom’s uncle is “Zarelli.” His grandmother’s brother is a Zarelli. The Zarelli family lived in West Philadelphia before moving to Delaware County, he said.

I have a feeling we'll get something from a relative, regardless of whether or not they knew of him. A lot of people can't resist a camera and my basic searches into some archives have shown there are more than a handful of Zarellis who have lived in Philadelphia.

As for other people knowing at the time, I'm reminded of two episodes off the old Cold Case Files about kids who were alive when their siblings were murdered, but too young to have more than vague memory.

- In one, workers found a child's body in a flower bed decades after her death. After figuring the likely family, they tracked down her brother. He barely remembered hearing her cry and so did a neighbor or two. Police got the mom to confess but she was on her deathbed, so nothing happened.

- In the other, a young man got a question from a relative he hadn't seen since he was a toddler: How's your sister doing? What sister? was his initial reaction. Soon he began to remember a bit about having a twin sister. They eventually found her body, shoved into a suitcase mom kept hidden in their house and had moved with her a few times.

IIRC in both cases, they tracked down school records to compare with birth records and found neither child had ever been enrolled.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

You're not talking about "The Christmas Tree Lady", are you?

https://who13.com/news/christmas-tree-lady-identified-as-iowa-woman-25-years-after-her-death/

If it's not her, then it's going to bug me too because I know the story you're talking about and I thought it was this one.

EDIT: Although, after a little digging, it seems like some of the details are a better fit for The Boy In The Box. Nothing else has been released since the initial identification that I could see, and there were some news stories at the time that suggested he had some relation to a prominent family in the area.

Lyle Stevik is another case where the deceased was finally identified, but no name was ever released and family has barely said anything.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Marty Feldman did the same thing with his hump in Young Frankenstein.

Stephen Nichols played Patch on Days of Our Lives, a character who lost an eye in a knife fight. After a few years, Johnson had to legit wear the patch on the other eye for a bit because he was messing up the uncovered eye through taping 200+ shows a year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

The story most often associated with Booger Tree is that one of the trees in the vicinity of the cemetery was once the site of a hanging. No documented evidence that such ever took place has ever been produced, still the name itself- "Booger Tree" has forever been stuck to the area. Still numerous undocumented hangings unquestionably took place during the Civil War era, and this area was well settled during that time period, so it is not entirely impossible that this story could be somewhat rooted in truth."

It's the South? With a history that dates back before the 1950s? Has a hanging legend of a visible-to-the-public tree but no documentation?

Sounds like a lynching took place there.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This and the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire were only a few years apart.They and The Station fire stick with me as way too late for very preventable humongous disasters.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Here's my state's crematory horror story

quote:

Previously, a propane delivery truck driver had complained on at least two occasions to the Walker County Sheriff's Department about seeing bodies on the Marsh property. The driver made a fuel delivery and notified the sheriff's office. This call resulted in a deputy sheriff being called to the property, who reportedly discovered nothing unusual.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just because you raise your pet warthog from infancy doesn't mean he won't try to kill you later

Dude must not have paid attention to any of the countless stories about pet bears and monkeys murdering people for shits and giggles. And hogs are always one blink away from being murderbeasts and that's just the tuskless domesticated varieties.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Feb 13, 2024

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia Public Broadcasting is currently airing a short documentary on the 1971 Thiokol explosion, which killed 29 in Camden County, which is on the Florida line.

GPB has a good article about the Thiokol explosion. Thiokol made tripflares, which were highly flammable, but the plant workers weren't told just how explosive it was. A fire spread to a supply closet, which blew up.

Thiokol battled victims' families for more than 15 years, paying out only $20 million. Though the area took care of its own decently well, this was a year after total integration of schools. Most of the victims were Black and quite poor. (Camden's since gotten a military base to boom its population, but remains devoid of any rreal infrastructure.)

The documentary is of course very dark, but gets dark as gently caress near the end where they mention Thiokol provided the boosters for Challenger in 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"When do you want us to launch, Thiokol?"

Ironically, they were absolutely the good guys when it came to Challenger. They strongly advised against launching, and NASA overruled them.

I didn't read enough on Thiokol's involvement with Challenger. The doc definitely made them sound worse than they really were with Challenger.

Thiokol was still involved in lawsuits over Camden factory explosion at the time of Challenger, though.