Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Number Stations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

They date back to at least World War 1 and are still used to this day! Their purposes are thought to be mostly cloak and dagger spy poo poo, or possibly drug smuggling. There are also stations that were clearly set up just to gently caress around with us.

A number of citizens have taken to monitoring these stations, documenting their behavior, and (naturally) assign them cute nicknames! :3: Speculation can be pretty fun, and careful listening has provided insight on how some are set up, such as The Buzzer.

These stations unnerve me because it's (typically) a detached-sounding human voice sending encoded messages, which is, y'know, creepy listening. It's obviously not meant for the public (regardless of nationality), so if nothing else, they serve to unite us all, if only in paranoia. :tinfoil:
Along those lines (and to include a Wikipedia link) anyone interested in this stuff should absolutely check out the Conet Project. It's the largest compilation of numbers stations recordings that I've come across and although the website the recording were hosted on looks to have gone offline, there's an archive.org page with all of the recordings on the compilation. I've listened to several dozen or so of these and some of them are short loops of jingles followed by a synthesized voice speaking a series of numbers and letters. Fascinating stuff considering numbers stations are still in use today and only a select few have any idea what a particular message means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

hey there unnerving wikipedia article thread. in the previous thread, someone posted a book about a true crime/unsolved murder that had taken place in japan. if anyone knows what i'm talking about and the name of the book, that would be amazing.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Yes! Thanks a lot.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Awesome, I'm genuinely interested in contemporary culture and social issues in Japan so I'll give it a look.