Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I became curious about people taking this drug and found this little gem:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/360165-Phenazepam-First-Time-Priceless-Warning

Apologies for it not being a Wiki page, I thought it was topical and hilarious. The best quote is "I am a very responsible person when it comes to drugs."

quote:

Not my type of behavior at all even though I am a drug addict.
and

quote:

If I can't manipulate my parents into giving me money or sell drugs to get money, I just don't do drugs.
said with pride are pretty goddamn hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The entire health care stories thread could be copy and pasted into this thread but yeah, Elise's stories are something else.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

Ok, not a Wikipedia article but this counts as creepy to me even though I'm sure there is a plausible explanation. Sorry, the source is the NY Daily News so take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/great-white-shark-possibly-eaten-larger-mystery-animal-article-1.1821781

Don't you watch the Discovery Channel? It was clearly a megalodon.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Their interpretation of Peter laying down his sword is some seriously Air Bud poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Stayne Falls posted:

Could you explain that? I love the idea of using Air Bud as a metaphor but I have no idea what you mean.

I was typing up a reply but noticed that Desk Lamp had pretty much already answered the question:

Desk Lamp posted:

"It doesn't say a dog can't play basketball anywhere in the rulebook!"

"Jesus didn't order anyone to lay down their club, just their sword you see?"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Is sheer unbridled horror within the purview of this thread? Because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_abduction

What the poo poo :stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I find this really spooky. What if you're eating a watermelon but it's really a vampire?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_pumpkins_and_watermelons

Welp never sleeping again :stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sustentacular posted:

MV Sewol

Of the 476 on board, 294 died, as well as 1 navy sailor, 2 civilian divers, and 5 emergency workers. Ten are still missing. Most of the people who died were teenagers - only 75 of the 325 members of the junior class were able to return to school. The vice-principal, who was rescued and survived the disaster, committed suicide a few days after the event. But probably the most unnerving thing about this is all the videos that were shot from cell phones by the passengers, and uploaded to the internet. Including one where some teenage girls are singing Titanic's "My Heart Will Go On" :smith:

Also worth mentioning that the captain and several crew members changed clothes as the boat was sinking so that they could pass as civilians and get on the life boats.

And I've watched some of those videos, it's pretty drat sad to hear the kids going like "oh man what if it really does sink and we all die (laughter)" and so on. They didn't realize it was a real emergency until it was too late. :smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I like how the lawyer died a while in and the family was just like, "Eh, whatever, we've been at it this long, might as well keep going."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

In the Sagas there is a point where a man wont let some travelers (our main characters at this point) stay in his home. This is a huuuuuge no-no in Viking society because things were so harsh and spread out that the existence of commerce depended heavily on being able to sleep in peoples houses for free. So the characters get pissed and come back at night to steal food from his storage house. But then when they are walking away to their boat their leader remembers that stealing is illegal and dishonorable.

So, like, do they return his stuff, say sorry, maybe work his land for a while to repay the slight?

gently caress no, they light his house on fire and kill him.

Dick shoulda let them stay, maybe they wouldn't have had to kill his jerk rear end then. :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Not you specifically but I've seen a few people talk about nuclear attacks like Hiroshima as if they were "better" than firebombing, etc. because of this idea that everyone just gets vaporized, but nuclear war has some awful poo poo all its own that you don't always hear about. Like the so-called "ant-walking alligator" people of Hiroshima:

The article is here (includes possibly :nms: photo of a scarred survivor for anyone who's squeamish).

The comments on that article are more scary and unnerving than the article itself

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I grew up in Japan so I know the rape of Nanking is nothing but western pigdog propaganda and slander

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

http://sharkattackfile.net/spreadsheets/pdf_directory/1820.00.00-AmphibiousJack.pdf

Can't say I ever imagined attacking a shark with a pickaxe. Also, there's a surprisingly large amount of shark attacks in rivers and lakes. Rivers I can understand (Bull Sharks and all that) but lakes?

I like how one shark went for the dude and got a pickaxe to the head for its troubles, while the smart one just took the oysters and got the hell out of dodge.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

One day they're gonna invent a bomb so deadly and destructive that the very possibility of it ever being used is enough to stop all wars forever

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Nukes basically are that bomb. Turns out we'll go to war anyway.

whooooooooosh

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

Speaking of aviation, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

And the most British understatement of all time:

A bit of a pickle, what.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

This man suffering from depression really should have had the common courtesy to think of others before offing himself

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Good thing the Americans nuked Japan twice instead

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I would take one Kermit spooky plane post over 10 pages of nukeposts

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Don't dingos eat people, especially babies?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

the hell's ground zero?

It's what Americans call the place where the WTC towers used to be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nouvelle Vague posted:

On the topic of building collapses, I've always been drawn to the Sampoong Department Store Collapse especially since it was basically caused by the rapid expansion and corruption in South Korea. It was just so loving deadly.

I was actually staying in Seocho-dong (about a ten minute walk away from that building) when that happened. I'd been in that store before, so it was quite shocking to turn on the news one night and find out that apparently someone had taken a huge meat cleaver to it. That was what really stuck out to me about the collapse--it was really clean. It almost looked like one of those cross-section diagrams except for the rubble.

There's a residential complex where it used to be now and people still say the underground parking lot is haunted. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The sharks came, but this being Australia, the oysters ate them.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

unicr0n posted:

Another Australian here, and yeah keeping your head together is key. I got caught in one when I was about 14-15 and tried swimming into it before I even realised what was happening, was just a case of 'head down swimming to shore, pop head up.. hmmn I'm *further away*'
The panic sets in, you're solely focussed on getting back to the beach. I most likely would have continued on like this if a nearby surfer hadn't paddled over literally 6ft away and gone 'dude there's a sandbar right here, just swim to me' Sure enough there was a sandbar there and I could just walk back to the beach in waist deep water.

So you were this close to literally drowning in nature's kiddy pool.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Edit: speaking of which, the Dendrocnide Moroides, aka the Gympie Stringer

I dunno, I woulda called 'em Chuzzwazzers!

I like how the wiki page notes "The fruit is edible if the stinging hairs that cover it are removed." Some madman looked at this plant that drives animals to kill themselves and thought "Hmm, I wonder if I can eat this thing."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pookel posted:

But #1 should be "have sex in the woods." If you have sex in the woods, you will die in the woods.

Doesn't matter had sex

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

A serial killer convention, cleverly renamed to "Cereal Convention", is a plot point in Sandman. As much as I liked the series, that was pretty groan-worthy.

It was cool and good, sorry

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Remember when Bill Clinton spontaneously combusted while giving a state of the union speech live on television

Hell of a way to go out if you ask me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wine is literally bombs

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wait what is the proper doneness of a steak in France

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

wyntyr posted:

In my experience, "bleu", which is a step or two below rare. Not quite tartare, but "slightly warm and still mooing" isn't far off

Oh okay that sounds good. I was afraid it would be well done or something equally suited to the unnervingness of this thread.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Guy eloped with girl? Rape his sisters. Makes perfect sense.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's been posted a buncha times. That said yes it is pretty unsettling.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

:stare:

Mutilation aside, it's oddly hilarious how after literally disemboweling her the dude then "carried her into the bathroom and tried to put water on Nemeth's face, but she did not wake up."

Gee I wonder why

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This may have been speculation or hyperbole, but I also recall something about Rosemary just being a "normal" (perhaps comparatively dim or the same as her siblings) but having been rebellious and sexually precocious, marking her for extra scrutiny and criticism. Seems possible with the whole "wandering the streets, vulnerable to men" comment on the wiki, or potentially caused by bipolar disorder and acting out.

Because heaven forbid that a Kennedy want to have sex with lots of people, right

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I hate it when people scoff at the bloody Mary thing, because while I don't believe in ghosts, it is based on a real optical illusion, so people do see "something". Just not a ghost.
It's something like this

This is loving me up something fierce

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

prick with tenure posted:

This article was posted on the nytimes this morning, definitely creeped me out. Rutgers philosophy professor falls in love with a mentally disabled man she's treating through "facilitated communication," ie, ostensibly helping him type out complex thoughts on a keyboard that he's unable to vocalize or otherwise communicate. I'd never heard of this before, but apparently it has some support among parents of autistic children, etc. Pretty disturbing that the woman seems to have subconsciously projected all her erotic ideals onto one of her patients and ended up raping him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/m...v=top-news&_r=0

On the other hand it's really heartbreaking to see parents of autistic kids and such honestly convinced that this lets them really communicate with their children for the first time. :smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

That reminds me of a question. What was it about the 1970's that seemed to bring out so many serial killers, atleast in the US?

After the 1970s they got smarter about covering their tracks/choosing their victims.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I do believe it was a joke, on the forums of noted comedy site somethingawful.com

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I may be dead, but I'm dead with mad moolah in my pockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wiggy Marie posted:

I like how the driving concern was "they get all in the bed" and not "oh god worms in my skin!!!" Says a lot about how normalized it was for her.

She had a husband who from the doctor's account was basically like "For God's sake Martha these worms on the pillow have got to stop, I've been putting up with your worms for years but no more"