Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

On working on the theory:

:smith:

This wikipedia article guest-written by HP Lovecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rober Galbraith Heath is my go-to for unethical experimentation. His wiki page is pretty sparse, but this page right here has most of the goods:

quote:

Dr Robert Heath was Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and Neurology at Tulane University in New Orleans from 1949 to 1980. He performed many controversial experiments involving electrical stimulation of the brain (ESB). In one procedure, Dr Heath wired up the pleasure centres of a gay man. During a three-hour session, the subject, code-named B-19, electrically self-stimulated his reward circuitry some 1,500 times.

quote:

“During these sessions, B-19 stimulated himself to a point that he was experiencing an almost overwhelming euphoria and elation, and had to be disconnected, despite his vigorous protests."
[Moan, C.E., & Heath, R.G. Septal stimulation for the initiation of heterosexual activity in a homosexual male. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 3, 23-30, 1972.]
Dr Heath believed that ESB could be used to "cure" homosexuality. Insofar as people prefer direct stimulation of the pleasure centres to having sex, ESB can "cure" heterosexuality too.

quote:

Dr Heath's work on mind-control at Tulane was partly funded by the US military and the CIA. Dr Heath's subjects were African Americans. In the words of Heath's collaborator Australian psychiatrist Harry Bailey, this was "because they were everywhere and cheap experimental animals".

There's another mention of him here:

quote:

In 1970, Robert Heath of Tulane University dreamed up a far more novel application of Olds and Milner's discovery. Heath decided to test whether repeated stimulation of the septal region could transform a homosexual man into a heterosexual...

By this stage of the experiment B-19's libido was so jacked up that Heath decided to proceed with the final stage in which B-19 would be introduced to a sexually-willing female partner. With permission from the state attorney general, Heath arranged for a twenty-one-year-old female prostitute to visit the lab, and he placed her in a room with B-19. For an hour B-19 did nothing, but then the prostitute took the initiative and a successful sexual encounter between the two occurred. Heath considered this a positive result.

Little is known of B-19's later fate. Heath reported that the young man drifted back into a life of homosexual prostitution, but that he also had an affair with a married woman. Heath optimistically decided that this showed the treatment was at least partially successful. However, Heath never did try to convert any more homosexuals.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alpacalips Now posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKULTRA

Back in the 50's, CIA agents wanted to learn how to control peoples' minds, so they dosed a bunch of people with powerful hallucinogens and played sick mind games with them. Some of these people were in mental institutes, others were prostitutes, homeless people or junkies. Some were even government workers suspected of spying. As someone who's experimented with psychedelics and had a handful of bad experiences, I can only imagine how horrifying it would be to suddenly lose your mind for no reason and then have a bunch of G-men interrogate you.

(MKULTRA was also the money behind Robert Heath's experiments.)

What's extra horrifying/depressing about MKULTRA, for my money, is that in the end the CIA just threw up its hands and said "Welp, I guess mind control doesn't exist", so billions of dollars were spent, hundreds of lives ruined, and who knows how many atrocities committed just to prove that The Manchurian Candidate was a work of fiction.

I think that's basically the ultimate objection to anybody who bemoans how much science could advance if not for ethics, because here's the thing: we've tried that, and it doesn't really teach us anything we couldn't have learned ethically (the only exception that comes to mind being the Nazi's hypothermia research, which is pretty :smith:).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PYF Scary Article: They just sat there and screamed all day

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Strongylocentrotus posted:

That sounds like a biohazard.

I too often stop my car, get out, and rub an open wound on the road.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Is this how the Jackalope legend formed?

Probably.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

(for some reason or another)

That sounds like a really lovely reason to voluntarily expose yourself to loving mustard gas. Like, if I were your instructor, I think I'd flunk you for that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

The fact that people feel sympathy for Dahmer is the scary or unnerving part of the whole thing. Why does anyone even write fictional stories about monsters when we have real monsters wearing human skin living among us?

Not sure if you missed the entire point of the discussion, but people feel sympathy for Dahmer because you can't just throw him in the box labelled "monster" or "not really a human like I am".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SheepNameKiller posted:

To some extent, sure. But the majority of it is that I'm just angry over the disproportionate amount of attention that gets paid to all of these shithead murderers compared to the victims they abused.

You're missing the point: sympathy for the victims is assumed and thus not worthy of discussion. And what is there to say about the victims of a serial killer beyond "they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, ain't that lovely?"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Smarmy John posted:

This is what my grandmother calls "borrowing trouble."

So what if you are a prude, as long as you're a happy prude? And why are you worrying about your future single self's ability to find someone to gently caress? You don't even know what your future single self will be like, so how could you POSSIBLY predict how attractive he'll be, who he'll know (and therefore who might or might not want to have sex with him) or even, you know, if he'll exist.

This is a colossal waste of your time and energy. Take stock of what you like about your life and yourself, make a plan to fix the things you don't, nurture your marriage, and go have a beer or something; Jesus.

wrong tab

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bippie Mishap posted:

Chickens and rats would do the same if they had the mass, they're all omnivores just like humans. Why does that freak you out? Humans eat them.

Probably because most people just think of pigs as harmless, dopey, indiscriminant eaters, not genuine meat lovers, let alone predators.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What exactly is the reason for feral pigs turning into boars? Are domestic pigs trimmed and tusk-clipped?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This was literally an episode of the X-Files.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Where the hell do you just get enough babies to do this stuff with.

The Vice article points to it being made up. (Apparently Creepypasta is the first place it's ever been discussed.)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Oh good, transphobia, just what this thread needed.

Oh god I love a good shitfling :munch:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SamLikesCake posted:

Another great example is the horrible abuse that was commonplace in residential schools. Often the places were absolutely riddled with TB and other diseases and there was no attempt to quarantine. When the kids would die, they were buried on school property and forgotten. Sometimes their parents wouldn't even be notified. Keep in mind... This wasn't something that happened a long time ago. This poo poo was going down into the 1970's at least.

The final residential school was closed in 1996. Literally everyone in this thread was alive when the Canadian government was carrying out a genocide.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Degenerate Star posted:

jFC, Snow tracked that outbreak in 1854 with a notebook and a map, and yet somehow it's just too much trouble to do the same thing today with our technology?

That's just an embarrassing level of lameness.

It's not too much trouble, it's that they already know who caused the outbreak and don't want to admit it. That's, like, the entire point of the article.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

One time I saw a Titanium themes bouncy house and realized "yep in 100 years or less 9/11 is gonna be a children's amusement."

Doubt it, the random politically-motivated destruction of two ugly office buildings doesn't have the same emotional pull as a massive, gorgeous ship being destroyed by hubris, and it lacks the upper-class vs. lower-class narrative. The story of the Titanic begs to be romanticized, 9/11 is just a senseless tragedy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I grew up in England, so the idea that you can stand on a normal residential street and on the other side is an endless silent moonscape really puts the zap on my head. Walk far enough into the desert and anything you leave there might as well be on Mars.

All human civilization is a scratching at the edge of the darkness, h t h

EDIT: That's a new wordfilter.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So, uh, fair warning for anybody who wants to have a stroll through wikipedia's articles on unidentified dead people, one of their articles just straight-up opens on a big ole pic of a corpse. Which is loving pleasant. I mean, it isn't gory, but knowing it's the actual face of an actually dead guy just makes it so much creepier than even those creepy reconstruction faces.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fun hater posted:

well, dont tell us which one, i want to play russian roulette with wiki links until i find it

Sorry, I forgot when I made the post. Pretty sure it's Peter Bergmann, but I'm currently not brave enough to click the link to confirm it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rondette posted:

:stare:

I'm glad sometimes I live in the UK where the default setting is 'damp', and I am also allowed to hang my washing out in my own garden and let my grass go a bit yellow if I like. Seriously guys you are supposed to be the Land of the Free, what happened.

Fort McMurray is in Canada.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

pookel posted:

I'm sorry to keep posting child abuse stuff, but that's what I've been reading. I can stop if anyone's sick of it. I ran across this one recently and can't get it out of my head:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Survivor-of-childhood-abuse-moves-forward-by-7224850.php

Twenty-four-year-old former abuse victim Amy Beebe talks about her life and what happened on the day her brother died. They and another brother were triplets who had been adopted by a woman who starved and beat them, along with another adopted child. All had some level of special needs. One day when the triplets were 8, she'd been hurting them so badly that they started discussing ways to escape. Her brother Joseph came up with the idea that if they could provoke her to kill just one of them, the cops would have to get involved and the others would be rescued.

Joseph intentionally wet his pants and had his siblings rat him out; she beat him unconscious and then called 911 when he stopped breathing. The other siblings were rescued and their adoptive parents and oldest brother were all arrested. I keep re-reading this and wondering if it was STDH - if she imagined the conversation after the fact as a way to deal with her brother's death. But it's clear she believed it, and she testified to it in court at her adoptive mother's trial. The mom got 75 years - the maximum possible.

The triplets' other adoptive brother, who'd been abused with them, died of complications of his ongoing medical issues at 19. Amy's surviving brother lives in a group home and doesn't like to talk about what happened, but they remain very close. Meanwhile, there is a little bit of a happy ending: she just got her first apartment and a cat, and she recently got in touch with her birth mother - who didn't want to give them up, but was going to prison for drug charges - and met some of her birth family.

You win. You found the most depressing thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Lord Psychodin posted:

How were you able to read this? It says pay to see.

Haha yeah, like I'm actually gonna click the link after reading that excerpt. Some stuff you just don't need to know.