Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

FrozenVent posted:

Nah, he was an rear end in a top hat too. The USSR never had a premier who wasn't a murderous rear end in a top hat; it's how you got ahead in that system. The nice guys got murdered / sent to the gulag.

Well, I guess Pavlov wasn't in the position long enough to do anything ESPECIALLY heinous.

Watch this, it'll turn out he stomped a tonne of puppies to death in the middle of Red Square or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Charles Bonnet Syndrome has always SERIOUSLY creeped me out. I think it's because it's so specific. Like, if your brain just switched off and you fell over dead, I'd be less scared of that because it's just another thing that can kill you. But having such incredibly specific hallucinations, especially such bizarrely mundane ones, I dunno, just really gets under my skin.

Something similar is the Ganzfield effect. It's similar to sensory deprivation. If you stare long enough at a single field of colour, your brain almost goes into a "screensaver", and just...switches your eyes off. You just see black, and some people have reported hallucinations, because the brain is essentially scrambling for any other activity.

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Jun 14, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

[quote="BioMe" post="432984339"]
From the source article:

As soon as I saw discussion of pigs eating corpses, I felt like giving the definition of what "nemesis" means.

(A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible oval office.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

And yet I somehow still feel better about how the US handles its nuclear arsenal than how Russia does...

Now I'm kind of curious about the horrifying things in the Chinese nuclear program. We know they have to happen just by human nature, but they must have had some spectacular problems given how China keeps finding new and better ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

And for true :magical: level, imagine the North Korean nuclear program.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

How about a music break?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_%28band%29

Some murders, a suicide, corpse necklaces, churches burning... (you'll need to click around, it's not all on this page)

Varg Vikernes on his own is enough to make it into this thread. He is a very disturbing individual.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

It's funny how mental disorder never gives people the urge to, like, build orphanages by hand or feed every homeless person on their home block or something. Instead of having the urge to break into women's apartments to rape them in their sleep, how about breaking in to tuck them in and sing them lullabies? Why's it always got to be rape and torture, mayhem and murder?

Turns out the people whose illnesses compel them to kill and eat people are reported on more than those whose illnesses compel them to donate modestly to charity or help old women cross the road.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

spleen merchant posted:

In early 19th century Scotland, the only corpses that could be used to fill the rising need for anatomical study were those condemned to death and dissection. Unfortunately for the medical community, capital punishment was falling out of favour and supply could no longer meet demand. This led to the rise of body snatchers, or "resurrectionists" - who would steal the recently diseased from the grave and sell them on to medical schools. Some of these resurrectionists didn't have that much patience.

The communities resorted to guarding the graveyards at night from watchtowers, and renting out cages called mortsafes that surrounded and protected the bodies until decay rendered them non-viable for study.

One of the most elaborate methods of protecting from these thieves was the Udny Mort House - essentially a round building with a rotating magazine of bodies. Each corpse was loaded and removed at a rate where once the the body had made the full circle, it had rotted enough to be taken and buried safely in the ground.

And then some of the Resurrectionists didn't even wait for people to be buried to dig them back up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Is it really civilian medical doctors' faults that government-sanctioned butchers brutalized blacks in the past? I mean, I doubt that Jews in Germany are wary of medical doctors because of Mengele's concentration camp horror show.

I suppose it's the lack of a major shift in power that's the problem. Jews in Germany can be reasonably sure they're not going to get Mengele'd, because the Nazis aren't in power any more. There was no massive regime toppling to signal "They're not gonna try Tuskegee again".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, "the uncle did it" is some full :tinfoil: stuff. There's a massive mountain of evidence that supports the claim that it was Hauptmann.

I read a book about it a while ago, The Ghosts of Hopewell, that outlines everything that led to his conviction, and how it would still easily hold up today. The only way he could become more guilty is if they found him in the house, covered in blood, screaming "I KILLED THAT BABY".

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Feb 9, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

RCarr posted:

I'm pretty sure this is bullshit.

Wasn't krokodil a hoax? I remember hearing the whole thing was made up.

Nope, Desomorphine is real, as are the effects of using homemade versions.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

One day they're gonna invent a bomb so deadly and destructive that the very possibility of it ever being used is enough to stop all wars forever

Nukes basically are that bomb. Turns out we'll go to war anyway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

whooooooooosh

Literally Kermit posted:

Holy poo poo. You meant well, but holy poo poo.

Welp, serves me right for not reading the rest of the thread. :downs:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As the diver told it... He's down there and comes across a woman, still belted into her seat. The woman starts moving, and not in a way that matches the ocean current. She looks, incredibly, alive. He checks his tanks to make sure he's not flipping out on nitrogen narcosis; there's no way anyone's still alive who's been down there so long.

Upon closer inspection, her corpse was chock full of crabs feasting on her. Their movement was pulling her around like a puppet.

:stare:

Jesus loving christ. Out of all of the stuff posted in this thread, I think I had the most visceral "FUCKIN NOPE" to that image.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_abduction

This apparently just happened to a friend of a friend of mine (the last case on this list). Luckily, she survived, although her fetus didn't.

This is absolutely horrific, but if there's any silver lining to be found, it's how many of the children end up living through it. It's incredible how resilient even a newborn baby is.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As a non-American, I seriously had no idea you could go inside the Washington Monument. I thought it was just a big obelisk and that was it.

I've learned something from this thread other than the fear of humanity in general :downs:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

What makes this worse is that Turkey still entirely deny it happened. It's one thing to kill 1.5 million people, and to do it in such a way that it necessitates the creation of the word "genocide", but to then basically play dumb when accused of it is another thing entirely.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pondex posted:

Be warned though. You need to have a pretty high tolerance for bleakness, otherwise it might seriously bum you out.

You want bleak, watch Threads.

Then take the next day off to recover.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

And you have to stay calm while you're swept away. You panic, you die.

Yeah, "swim parallel to the shore for a bit and you'll be fine" tends to get overridden by "OH gently caress I'M BEING SWEPT OUT TO SEA I'M GOING TO DIE".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

All we had around here is an oil refinery and an abattoir/meat rendering plant :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Surprised no-one posted one of the most famous occurances of someone dying on live TV.

(No video or anything, although there is very famous footage of it out there.)