Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

bean_shadow posted:

Or would Scientology not risk going after celebrities?

Probably not as blatantly as they would some member of Joe Public but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to pull strings and have people effectively shut out of their industry, by telling members they have to refuse to work with these people or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
One I only saw the other day, thanks to reddit (I know, I know) is the tale of Blanche Monnier(warning; top photo might be disturbing).

Basically the Parisian Attorney General was tipped off that a girl was being held captive at an address, an address belonging to a rather prestigious family, widow & son, with a daughter who had disappeared 25 years prior. Police attended the home and

quote:

“We immediately gave the order to open the casement window. This was done with great difficulty, for the old dark-colored curtains fell down in a heavy shower of dust. To open the shutters, it was necessary to remove them from their right hinges. As soon as light entered the room, we noticed, in the back, lying on a bed, her head and body covered by a repulsively filthy blanket, a woman identified as Mademoiselle Blanche Monnier. The unfortunate woman was lying completely naked on a rotten straw mattress. All around her was formed a sort of crust made from excrement, fragments of meat, vegetables, fish, and rotten bread. We also saw oyster shells and bugs running across Mademoiselle Monnier’s bed. The air was so unbreathable, the odor given off by the room was so rank, that it was impossible for us to stay any longer to proceed with our investigation.”
The resulting investigation eventually found that her mother and brother had locked her in the upstairs room aged 25 after she refused to give up a relationship and remained there for around 25 years until 1901, one of the more tragic parts of this is the man she refused to leave apparently died in 1885 yet she remained locked up for 16 years. I guess the part that unnerved me most is that this wasn't some depraved pervert like Fritzl or Castro but an upper class family essentially taking 'I forbid you to see that boy' to its extreme.
(Source url might be off-putting in terms of credibility but there are contemporary news articles (example))

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Brainbread posted:

I wanted to do a write up on Brandon Teena, but I got halfway before I felt too awful to continue. If you want the short, its about a trans man who was raped and murdered in the nineties. There was a movie called "Boys Don't Cry" made about him and the incident, but I couldn't finish it due to being horrifying for me.

Probably sounds dumb but I was struck by how her family don't even acknowledge he was transgender and just say "oh she was a lesbian"

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

On the other hand, there's a potential bite mark, and it doesn't match any of the Three. Where things get hinky is that the stepfather of one of the victims had all his teeth removed after the first trial (and his reasons why aren't consistent) and admitted to spanking the kid hard enough to have left the imprint of a belt buckle on the kid.

Since John Mark Byers switched to supporting the WM3 he's no longer really pushed as a suspect, although the wifes death is suspicious as gently caress imho, Terry Hobbs seems to be the most suspicious at the moment based on his dna in the shoelace, ex-wife statements, no alibi etc