Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Rapman the Cook posted:

I like the fact if you ate a whole cigarette you would die, but its hard to do because your body rejects it so hard you cant just like eat one with your mouth hole.

One of the more WTF moments of my life occured when I bummed a cigarette to an older lady I was sitting on a bus stop with. After a few minutes, I realized I didn't actually smell any smoke, so I glanced over and she was freaking eating the thing like it was a carrot stick. The tobacco flakes were sticking to her lips, it was pretty awful. I ended up walking the rest of the way home, and I still have no idea what the hell was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Does anyone have links to... not ghost story threads exactly, but SA threads about weird things that have happened to people, and/or previous discussions about mysteries and the like?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The_Raven posted:

There's a 1994 Peter Jackson movie called Heavenly Creatures http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110005/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_40 about this case, it's a pretty cool film.

Heavenly Creatures is great, everyone should watch it if they haven't. Last I checked, it's on Netflix, and it does a really good, very sensitive job of capturing the weird head spaces teenagers can get into if left to their own devices. Thankfully, most don't take it to the extremes that Parker and Hulme did, but I certainly identified with both characters in the film to some extent.

Relatedly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_%C3%A0_deux

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Thought this was pretty interesting:

http://listverse.com/2015/02/18/10-sudden-developments-in-mysteries-weve-been-following/

Some of the cases on the list have been discussed here, I think? Obviously most ended in tragedy, but it's nice that their families were able to get some closure :unsmith:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ms Boods posted:

I"m reading all of these airplane stories in an airport lounge, waiting for my flight to be called (8 hour, trans-Atlantic).

Keep them coming! (I have a hugely morbid fascination with reading about plane crashes :smith:)
I always, always get Andrew Bird's "Fiery Crash" stuck in my head at airports and on flights. It's a lovely song, but perhaps not the best lyrics to think about in that situation.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

Death of Edgar Allan Poe was as unnerving as his stories. T
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Edgar_Allan_Poe

The last bar he drank in is still in operation, though obviously it's changed hands a few times. It's a bit of a tourist trap, and they use the connection as a selling point.

Relatedly, this isn't scary or unnerving, just sort of cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe_Toaster

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RNG posted:

It bums me out that the sons only took a few years to make the tradition stupid. "Dad's been doing this for 50+ years... GO GIANTS"

The Endbringer posted:

Why? Why would they do this? He's not hurting anyone.

Also I agree with the poster above me. I never knew Poe personally, obviously, but I feel he wouldn't give two shits about who wins a football game.

It's Baltimore. I love this city, but there are a lot of idiots around.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it sounds fun.

I lived within field trip distance from there, and am very disappointed that it wasn't a thing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Look at the location. It's not the park itself (I would have loved to visit it) but building it so close to a battlefield is really skeevy.

Antietam is basically surrounded by outlet malls, and the city of Gettysburg is a giant tourist trap. At least this would have had *something* to do with history.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Apr 23, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If you ever find yourself in Baltimore and like outsider art, the American Visionary Art Museum is an awesome way to spend an afternoon. I *think* they have a large Darger piece in the permanent collection, but even if I'm wrong, everything there is pretty great, if occasionally unnerving.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There is a Tamam Shud update. Though no one offers a hypothesis about why he died, if you subscribe to either of the two trains of thought offered, it's probably not as mysterious as it seems. The article's end is its own bit of creepy, though, but for other reasons.

Thank you for posting this, it was really interesting and a good read. That's always been one of my favorite mysteries... there's just so much seemingly going on with it. However, as much as the idea of crazy espionage poo poo is fun to think about, the more mundane (though still weird) explanation is also intriguing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

I thought the same thing a long time ago..."wouldn't it be great if these idiots were just hooting at other idiots looking for sasquatch?"

And I'm betting that's exactly what it is, all for ratings from even dumber people who watch and believe that poo poo

That's why the best paranormal show is Weird or What?! It's hosted and narrated by William Shatner, who demonstrates concepts like alien abductions by making a dollar store alien toy hump a Barbie. The dramatic re-enactments are hilariously bad, but still hilarious. The show talks about some genuinely interesting stuff from time to time, but it never seems to take itself too seriously. It's dumb as hell, but refreshing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Both sides of my family have only been in the US a hundred years or so; Polish/Lithuanian on my mom's side, German/probably Jewish on my dad's. Neither set of grandparents were thrilled when my parents got married in the 80's, and my charming paternal grandmother delighted in telling Dumb Pollock jokes around my mom right up until her death in 2009. I highly doubt anyone, on either side, in the last couple generations has given a gently caress about their partners' identity, thankfully, but extended family dinners were always awkward when I was a kid. Outside of that, I think the biggest problems my cousins, brothers and I have had to contend with is no one ever being able to pronounce our last names right :mad:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My grandma lost her sense of smell because of a reaction to the anesthetic used in a routine operation she had. She had to be admitted to the hospital multiple times afterwards for malnutrition, because if you can barely taste anything, you're not likely to eat much.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My mom grew up in a somewhat industrial town, albeit a Northeastern one. She and her friends used to make bets every day about what color the river would be when they walked home from school.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I had my bootlace get stuck on the escalator in a busy subway station in St. Petersburg. Someone pulled the emergency switch and I was able to break loose, but I seriously thought I was going to die for a terrible minute or two. The shoelace obviously would've broken before any real harm could be done, the more pressing concern was not getting trampled by dozens of oblivious Russians. They just gave zero fucks, but that's probably true of subway commuters everywhere.

I still make sure my shoes are firmly tied if I'm going to take an escalator, keep an eye on my feet the entire time, and just generally try to avoid them whenever possible.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Each dot on this map represents a body, usually that of a prostitute, that was found along a major highway in the space of thirty years or so. I believe all were thought to be the work of serial killers.

I think I read somewhere that truck driving is like, the ideal profession for that sort of thing. Rest stops and whatnot have freaked me out ever since.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Jul 28, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A serial killer convention, cleverly renamed to "Cereal Convention", is a plot point in Sandman. As much as I liked the series, that was pretty groan-worthy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

When I was younger, I remembered, without a doubt, being in the hospital for a while when I was 3/4. I remembered how nice the doctors and nurses were, how worried my folks were, and my nursery school teacher giving me a big hug when I came back and telling me how much she missed me. As a teenager, I mentioned it to my mom, asking what I'd been in for. Turns out the only time I'd been to the hospital at that age at all was for a broken arm, and I was in and out. However, another little girl in my class, who I have no memory of, had had cancer. Somehow I must have internalized what was going on with her, and convinced myself it had happened to me. The brain works in really strange ways.

Unless, of course, my mom is lying :tinfoil:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

flosofl posted:

It all worked out. When she called into her handlers that you were "remembering", they gave her a new dosage for your food.

But based on your post, maybe you should visit for nice home cooked meal. Use that EXACT phrasing when you talk to her. For no particular reason.

Oh god, I'm supposed to visit next week :ohdear:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Seems like that kind of thing was pretty commonplace in British settler nations in the 19th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myall_Creek_massacre

Welp, there goes my week. That's utterly horrifying.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

This could easily also go in the badass thread:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese_people

Basically, there's a small group of extremely primitive people living on a remote island in the Bay of Bengal. They've been to be there for hundreds of years, but almost nothing is known about them because they're very loving hostile and have met all attempts at contact with volleys of arrows. Their language, from what little could be heard, is completely unlike any from the surrounding area, and though there hasn't been any observed use of fire on the island, the Sentinelese have been seen making extremely effective weapons out of metallic debris that wakes up on the island.

The Indian government stopped trying to make official contact in the mid-90s, both because all previous attempts had ended disastrously and because they were concerned about introducing new diseases to the island. A helicopter was sent to check on them after the 2004 tsunami, and was meet with volleys of arrows; from what little the pilot could observe before having to retreat, the island and it's people had made it through completely unscathed. A few years later, the tribe killed a couple of poachers who were on the island illegally, and any attempts at retrieving the bodies were, again, met with arrows. Since then, there have just been occasional welfare checks, albeit from a great distance.

The idea of there being an almost completely unknown culture in the modern world, relatively close to so many heavily populated areas, is just kind of mind-blowing to me. Their hostility has apparently served them pretty well over the years.

edit:gently caress me, I'm still figuring out my tablet, and somehow managed to attach an accidental screenshot I had taken. It's a png file, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it. I would love to if anyone knows how.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Nov 11, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I recently visited some friends outside of Boston, and wanted to bring their three-year-old a little souvenir from Baltimore, where I live. I decided on an Orioles shirt, and texted my friend to see what size the kid wore. He half-jokingly replied that the shirt might not be the best idea, as they were still new to the area and didn't want to make enemies. I bought the kid a little plush crab instead, which was probably for the best.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It's not just bars in the stadiums, though, a lot of times there's tons of places to drink around them as well. Just last spring, an anti-violence march here turned a bit ugly when it went past a bar by the stadium and the drunken idiots there decided to start shouting racial slurs at the protesters.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

vaguely posted:

you freaked out in a chat thread because your cat peed on a wall socket and you thought your house was going to burn down

To be fair, cat piss guy was a different dude. Literally the Worst was the one who constantly whined about not having money or a job, then posted pictures of the three hundred dollar robot man toy he'd just bought.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Saw another Toynbee tile in the wild today:

St. Paul and Centre Sts, Baltimore. Pretty sure it's fresh, I walk by there multiple times a week and never noticed it before.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ah, sorry about that, thought they'd been discussed already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toynbee_tiles

Basically they're cryptic tiles that are driven into the pavement in cities around the country, and into South America, since the 80s. It's doubtful they're the work of one person, but they all have a remarkably similar style set and "message". No one has ever claimed responsibility, to my knowledge. There's a good documentary about them that used to be on Netflix, called Resurrect Dead, not sure if it's still up.

Not so much unnerving, but certainly bizarre.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

These are two other ones that I've seen around town, I hear there are others. Apparently some areas of Philly are crawling with them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Plinkey posted:

How long do they usually hang around, might take a ride up there to check it out this weekend.

The other ones I know of have stuck around for years, thankfully the city has other priorities. In fact, one of the other ones I posted (the one about the Venezuelan hitman) is just a block over on Charles and Centre, by the Walters, and has been there for at least a couple years. Both are on the Northwest corners of their intersections. Traffic can be heavy, so be careful if you're taking pictures. Plenty of awesome places to eat and drink around there as well, in case you wanted to make a day of it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

pookel posted:

Cops tend to shrug off missing persons reports when the person is, or is thought to be, homeless or a drug addict or a prostitute, because they live such transient and dangerous lives anyway, and who knows or cares where they go or what happens to them? Add racial stereotyping to this, and you see why they manage to miss so many serial killers when the victims aren't pretty white girls from nice neighborhoods.

There's even a name for it!

I lurk r/unresolved every once in a while, because there's sometimes interesting stuff about John/Jane Does, unsolved murders, missing persons cases and the like. Just about every time I visit, the front page is filled with crap about Maura Murray, Jonbenet Ramsey, Madeline McCann and the like. Not to say those cases aren't interesting, but it's kind of ridiculous the amount of attention that they still get.

A missing person case that always gets to me that isn't about a wealthy blonde girl is the disappearance of Asha Degree.A little girl, known for being shy, unadventurous, and very attached to her family, packed her backpack and left her house in the middle of a cold, rainy night in 2000. She was seen and reported walking down the road by passing motorists (one truck driver even turned around and tried to approach her, but she ran off into some nearby woods). That was the last reported sighting of her, but her bookbag was found months later at a construction site, wrapped in plastic, with the items inside (including pictures of her family) still intact. There still aren't any real leads, and at this point it's doubtful that there will ever be resolution for her family. The whole case is absolutely heartbreaking and weird as hell.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Apr 15, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I can kinda see it. As a kid I've done similar things where I just took off and starting walking, and if it had started raining I probably would have thought it was awesome that I was out at night in the rain and my parents didn't know about it.

Sounds like she was just doing rebellious kid stuff and had really, really bad luck that night. You could definitely be right though.

At the time of her disappearance, she'd been reading The Whipping Boy at school, which, among other things, is about a couple of kids who run away and go on an adventure. It may just be a red herring, but it's been theorized that she could have been just innocently acting it out, sort of daring herself, and as you said, running into terrible luck. I was a pretty shy kid at that age too, but I also had a ridiculously overactive imagination and a tendency to get swept up in things. I did tons of stupid poo poo because I'd read it in a book or saw it in a movie or TV show. I could kinda see it being possible, but I can see other theories working as well.

theflyingorc posted:

Calm down, bro, that's not helpful.

My brother was actually really good friends with her brother, and they always seemed like good people. There's still a huge contingent of internet detectives "solving the case" by blaming her dad - please imagine how hurtful that type of thing is if he didn't do anything wrong?

Their friendship fell apart after that happened - having your sister disappear off the face of the planet is pretty bad for your psyche.

Yeah, everything I've read about her family (and even community as a whole) makes them seem like really lovely people, and I highly doubt they had anything to do with it.

I'm sorry for her brother, and your's as well. I can't even imagine what it's like to go through something like that, even from the sidelines.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The one time I was mugged my immediate reaction was to get angry and repeatedly tell the guy who had a gun pressed to my stomach to gently caress off, which could have gone so much worse than it did. Granted, all I had on me were my keys and the book I'd borrowed from the friend whose house I was walking home from, so it's not like he was getting anything anyway, but dude actually apologized and ran away. I stomped home with my head in the air, but the minute I walked through my own door my knees basically turned to jelly and I realized how loving stupid I'd been. I'm not even a particularly angry person, it sort of surprised me.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Being handicapped doesn't preclude being a douche, it just means you get called out for it less often.. As the man in my old neighborhood who used his position in a wheelchair to tell every woman who passed by how much he'd like to motorboat their tits or go crazy on their rear end was well aware.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A friend of mine had to go to one of those places in high school. She'd only talk about it rarely, usually when drunk; same deal though, strict Christian parents, normal small teenage rebellions blown way out of proportion. In her case, it was getting into secular music instead of choir and not eating meat that were the final straws. loving ridiculous. I think the facility she went to was a bit less horrible than some of the others described, the worst thing she told me about was the pastor breaking her CDs in front of her (she hadn't been kidnapped like some others, her parents had made it seem like she was going on a trip to visit relatives so she'd packed accordingly) and making her do push-ups with a plate of Spam under her face. I don't even know what the gently caress. She's got a really good head on her shoulders, so she just sort of kept her mouth shut and did her time there, then more or less cut her family out completely once she turned 18. She's a total Williamsburg hipster now, her band's gotten some attention lately, and she still doesn't eat meat, so in the end her parents totally wasted their money.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

It's nice to know that some of these parents will descend into old age abandoned and alone, totally cut off forever from the children they were so afraid of losing to a salad or Bauhaus record.

It'd be one thing if it were Bauhaus. At the time, her favorite band was Belle and frickin' Sebastian. How on earth her parents found that threatening is beyond me.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The thing that kills me about my friend who had to go through that is that she is genuinely one of the sweetest, kindest, most generous people I've ever known. Once I had to cancel plans with her due to coming down with the flu, and she dropped by my apartment with a pint of miso soup and a couple DVDs on her way to the venue, because she wanted me to have a nice evening even if I couldn't go out. I can't imagine any parent not being proud of someone like that. I didn't meet her til we were both in our early twenties, and I've never met her parents, but goddamn do I have some choice words for them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The book is also really good. I like Jeffrey Eugenides a lot.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

So you didn't grow up screaming "Let me show you something!" impersonating Fire Marshall Bill?

I did a completely cringeworthy Homie da Clown impression, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

DB Cooper is Don Draper, everyone knows that.