Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

Bonus points for having an In Popular Culture section on an otherwise scary or unnerving article.

One of which is how I heard of them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_J._Guiteau

Or from Charlie Guiteau, and written a song that would later be incorporated into a Sondheim musical!

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

BurnBlackJay posted:

You racist slut

You homophobic retard.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

sudont posted:

Also she was able to adopt a child after how many of her biological children had died? I realize it was 1978 but man, really? Terrifying. Granted, I didn't read past the wiki article so it could've been not an official channels thing of course.

That does actually make sense; the thinking is that she must have some kind of genetic problem. That's also why the adopted child's death tipped them off that it wasn't.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

The Scientist posted:

Another interesting one is called Hero Syndrome where a person creates a tragedy, and then comes in and saves people so that they can be seen as a hero. Usually involves starting fires, then rescuing people from them. This is more of a term to describe an act than it is a legitimately diagnosable thing.

A likely source of inspiration for Pixar?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

13Pandora13 posted:

The fact that there's still states with statutes of limitations on child rape is the most :psyduck: thing ever. What the gently caress.

And apparently really loving short statues of limitation, if this case is anything to go on. :psyduck:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Basebf555 posted:

Seems like the chances of humanity surviving long enough for any of that to matter should be incredibly small.

I see it the opposite way. Assuming humanity survives that long, then given the rapid progression of technology we've seen even only recently, we should be able to stop it by then. :unsmith:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

David Parker Ray, one of the nastier serial killers I've read about, lived outside Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I just realized that Ted Kaczynski/The Unabomber is pretty much the closest real-life equivalent of a supervillain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

And what if the CIA killed Kennedy and faked the moon landing?

Actually, the CIA faked Kennedy and killed the moon landing.