Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

"Well we don't like the forced labour or the torture but the creation myth where a space warlord flew people through space on Douglas DC-8s to earth where they were blown up by nukes in volcanos is the hill we're willing to die on"

Edit: I was just reading the Xenu article as a refresher on Wikipedia and gosh, they just obfuscate everything with technical-sounding jargon don't they. "Incident II" "R6 implant" "Operating Thetan level III" "Advanced Technology" and so on. I guess the fact that it sounds vaguely scientific is why people don't just immediately laugh it off; though I suppose it helps that the average Scientologist who makes it that far is already at least a little unhinged to begin with.

What was Hubbard's explanation of how he 'found out' this stuff? Other religions have divine revelation, but what's Scientology's explanation of how Scientology came about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The basic idea is that once you start losing your body thetans, and doing all these dianetics things to yourself, you start to have better and better recall of your own experiences. You can remember what you had for breakfast on the third of June ten years ago, or whatever. So, in order to 'punch-up' the claims of dianetics for the sixties, he started to claim that people could remember back to birth, and then even before birth, back to past lives. So, as Hubbard went further and further back into his own past lives, he started recovering more and more information about the history of the universe, like galactic empires and Xenu and space planes.

Ah, ok, thanks.

I was just reading the wiki page on space opera in Scientology, and Hubbard's cosmic history comes across as a hilarious mix of the ridiculous and the banal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera_in_Scientology

quote:

In an attempt to solve his overpopulation issue, Xenu placed several billion of his citizens onto DC 8 planes in refrigerators and sent the planes to the planet Teegeeack (now known as Earth).[20] Hubbard stated that Xenu told the subjects that they were being transported there for tax auditing.

quote:

Hubbard taught that the Christian concept of heaven was based on a physical location on another planet, which he claimed to have visited. He compared its appearance to Busch Gardens in Pasadena, California.

I think part of what sets mormonism and scientology apart from mainstream religions (in addition to their being new) and prompts scorn more quickly is their scriptures' total lack of aesthetic worth.

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013

moller posted:

You don't think that's a bit subjective? You don't think the timeworn and lapidary character of pre-modern texts, translated through a centuries long game of politically motivated "telephone" leads to their perceived clout?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said "(in addition to their being new)".

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013

moller posted:

Right, but isn't the corollary to this that in 200 years the references to DC8s and Busch Gardens will be anachronistic enough to sound plausible/spooky/cool or have been massaged out of the text in the retellings and translations? I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I've just wondered before if anyone around to witness the birth of a new faith wouldn't find it completely absurd, if blessed with the proper context.

Well, the bible also has things that are silly sounding in it, even now. But on the other hand it contains things like Ecclesiastes, and the Hymn to the Word, and the 23rd Psalm, which I'm not aware of there existing a counterpart of in these newer religious movements. And I don't think the literary merits of these parts of the bible depend on them sounding anachronistic.

Joseph Smith's writings seem to be deliberately channelling that sort of anachronistic style, and they don't really compare to the original.