Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair to the chemtrail people, a sentence I never thought I'd type, the US government did spray a few communities with chemicals, from the air, sometime in the 1950s, I believe.

David Icke is still a disgusting Nazi apologist, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Buh posted:

The bones of hundreds of children have been found unceremoniously dumped in a septic tank in a home for unwed mothers from the 1960s. Horrific as hell. I'm also creeped out by the blatant discrimination by those that avoided dying of neglect and made it to school and wherever.

Oh, Catholic authorities in Ireland. :allears: I'm pretty sure everyone over the age of 40 in Ireland has some horrible church-related story.

Nothing will make you a bitter atheist faster than living in Ireland and listening to the old people talk about their childhood and families.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Yep, alcohol withdrawal can kill. I thought that was general knowledge?

Nobody who's an alcoholic should try going cold turkey on their own and needs to check into a detox unit instead.

Since we're talking about Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome, Oliver Sacks has very interesting case studies The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat. Both had severe anterograde and retrograde amnesia.

They're both incredibly sad stories, but at least one of the men was more or less coping despite thinking he's in his 20s and it's the 1940s, while the other resorted to wild confabulations and seemed completely out of touch.

I think organic brain conditions scare me a lot more than mental illness. Mental illness can be treated to some extent. Organic brain conditions, once they've done their job, are mostly irreversible. :(

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I wouldn't classify OCD as unnerving. Scary, yes, but not in the way you're thinking. Mostly, it's irritating and inconvenient and mood-ruining.

Source: I have OCD and I have to avoid certain numbers, have writing compulsions, etc. etc. I think I'm closer to the O than the C, but I have friends who are very C and the prevailing attitude towards OCD is "gently caress this poo poo", not "ooooh spooky".

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Rodent Mortician posted:

Really depends on the severity. We had a lady here who had to have reconstructive surgery when her OCD kicked in regarding her various bowel problems and she ended up trying to clean her anus with bleach and steel wool repeatedly.

Like I said: scary, yes. But probably not in the way this thread means the term, or we'd be posting incurable cancers and other poo poo like that way more often.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
The really disturbing things here are the posters saying things like "worthless retards" in reference to mentally disabled adults.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
He has the consciousness of an adult and 35 years of life as an adult. A developmentally disabled adult, yes, but an adult nonetheless.

He's not capable of consent. I'm not arguing he is. But please don't infantalise a grown man.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
He has profound disabilities, yes. He cannot communicate effectively. But he has lived for three and a half decades and he has experienced them somehow or other and he has thoughts on them, whatever they may be, whatever complexity they may be, that an infant or a toddler would not have.

His comprehension, attention span, verbal and reasoning ability and so on have not been formally tested and the severity of his cerebral palsy prevents conclusive, rigorous tests of them, but at the very least, he has 35 years' worth of memories, even if he does not process them the way others would. That makes him objectively, quantitatively different to an infant, even if you do not accept the assertion that a grown man is qualitatively different from an infant, whatever the status of his brain.

Palate cleanser: Christy Brown was pretty rad.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

Are we arguing the degree to which someone was raped because :catstare:

No, not at all. It wasn't my intention to question the fact DJ was unequivocally raped and I'm really sorry if I came off that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

What about how we treat very young children is offensive to treat him the same way? What, exactly, is being done to him that is robbing him in some way?

edit: I'm saying meet him where he is, and that is very likely in a place that is similar to a very young child. Treating the disabled with dignity doesn't mean that you pretend they don't have their disability, it means you don't make allowances that aren't applicable to them. Treating him in certain childlike ways - rewarding primarily with food/toys/physical touch, not expecting him to be able to contribute in many activities, not leaving him unsupervised.

His quantity of memories has very little effect on the fact that he appears to be fundamentally incapable of utilizing them in the same way you or I do. Treating him (largely) as a child is not the same thing as treating a deaf person like they're stupid. It's a simple mapping to get a basic grip on his needs quickly, even if it doesn't line up 1:1.

Treating him, yes, but talking about him as a child is a simple error of fact. Also, it's insulting and leads to a slippery slope that ends in people with relatively mild developmental disabilities being treated like children because the groundwork for thinking of adults as being childlike has already been laid. I'd also appreciate it if you didn't talk to me like I don't know anything about the subject.

Jedit posted:

You realise you sound like Terri Schiavo's husband, right?

I do not, because a) he was advocating to have life support removed and it was her parents that wanted her to be kept on life support indefinitely b) Terri Schiavo's brain was almost entirely gone. DJ's brain is all there, even if he's disabled. You cannot compare a living human being to a corpse on a ventilator.