Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Btw that Nellie Bly article is a loving pro read and available for free online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
according to the mayo clinic, ECT is indeed used for severe and treatment resistant depression
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/electroconvulsive-therapy/about/pac-20393894

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/
You could always look at their side of the story, unless you've already made up your mind that a netflix documentary would never stoop to misrepresenting something for drama.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/

^curious if anyone even bothered to click this because they make a good case that netflix straight out lied about/misrepresented some really easily debunked stuff

idaf about the husband stuff, but they def. misrepresented how the organization conducts itself w/r/t the cats

"Crowd size. Others have gotten the impression that the images of a crowd at the sanctuary represent our daily routine. That film is from our once a year event called the Walkabout. The rest of the year our visitors are taken around in groups of no more than 20 on guided tours where they learn about the stories of the cats and the issues they face in captivity and in the wild. BigCatRescue.org/safari-days/ "

"Cage size. Others have gotten the impression that our enclosures are small because they showed a picture of a tiny part of a large enclosure that Joe Exotic falsely claims is the entire enclosure. Our smallest enclosure is the size of a small house, about 1200 sf, and our largest is over two acres, all in a natural setting full of foliage. In contrast, many of Joe’s tigers live in small, barren prison cells on pebbles. We would not be accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, who have the highest standards in the industry if our cages were what Joe falsely claimed. BigCatRescue.org/cages "

As to why they don't release the cats, they cats the are allowed to rehab and relase (native Florida bobcats) they do, but you literally can't just release most captive bred animals into the wild. I though everyone knew that.
https://bigcatrescue.org/gofree/

"Suing Joe’s mother. Others believed Joe’s claim that in suing his mother we were trying to harass her and take her house. We never made any claim to her house. We had to sue her because she actively participated with Joe, and later with Joe and Jeff Lowe, to transfer assets into and out of her name, that belonged to Joe or his zoo, in order to hide them from us. We reached a settlement agreement with her where she admitted the long list of fraudulent activities she had participated in and it did not require her to make any payments to us. Shirley Schreibvogel Settlement Agreement & Court Order. https://bigcatrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Shriley-Schreibvogel-Settlement-Agreement-8pg-Court-Order.pdf "

again idaf about the lady who runs it, but this charity does actually do good work and netflix appears to have done some reality-show level misrepresentation of what goes on there

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Threw that in there because ppl were saying the lawsuits were vindictive and to shut down criticism

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The main thing is that BCR doesn't treat their cats in an equivalent way to joe exotic in any way. The biggest being they do not, under any circumstances, breed them. As I said i cluldn't give a gently caress about Carol, most higher ups in big nonprofits are just as scummy as in the for-profit sector, but there is no equivalence to be drawn there. Netflix misrepresented the size of the enclosures, and the size of the crowds for sure, and they are an accredited sanctuary. Like they legit do good and important work for big cats including working to shut down cub petting and advocating against breeding white tigers and poo poo.

And now people are apparently showing up to harrass their volunteers, and they're definitely flooding comments of vids of their rehab bobcats (which are kept in smaller pens while recovering from injuries to just post 'cats in cages' and 'why don't you let them go' (it's... it's a rehab cat, it's GONNA be let go?).

BCR also claims their meat grinder is a hand meat grinder that can only handle one-inch cubes. Which obviously isn't verfiable by me but if so it's loving hilarious that Netflix showed a big old industrial meatgrinder. Since they misrepresented the enclosure size, it doesn't seem crazy that BCR is telling the trust about their meat grinder. Again, reality show level misrepresentation.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Mar 31, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Know that the lady who was Don's assistant that they interview from the show was caught embezzling 600,000$ from BCR

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I agree. Those animals that cannot be returned to the wild should be cared for by the govt. Nonprofits universally exploit volunteers and must be cracked down on. The nonprofit industry is another capitalist scam. But in the world as it currently is, there is no equivalence between the way BCR treats their animals and what they do and Joe Exotic.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Terrible Opinions posted:

That was Joe's meat grinder. Hence him being there in the scene.

Weren't they using it to imply Carol could have ground up her husband and fed him to the tigers? It seemed clear it was being implied that BCR had the capability to do that using the meat grinder shown on screen as a visual.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

They did it when Joe was giving his explanation and then cut to her saying that their meat grinder was hand sized. I'd say that's pretty clear cinematic language to get you into joe's headspace before revealing it was bullshit.
Or just the aerial photography in the show itself showing that the enclosures were plenty big.

Like the Netflix show's biggest crime against BCR is that it expected it's viewers to actually watch and not take Joe's bullshit at face value due to how obviously craze he is, and then they let the primary representative of BCR be their obviously lovely boss woman.

"Carole's a cis het white woman who saw an underprivileged gay man doing exactly what she does and saw profit if she could get rid of him, hth"
"Carole's big cat enclosures are as bad as Joe's"

^^ I mean ppl itt who supposedly did watch it seem to have taken away the message that joe exotic and BCR are equivalent

They are all over BCR's socials as well.

I take your point, though, just sucks for the people who actually work and BCR and the good work they do for big cats that viewers are apparently eager to take this narrative away from 'tiger king'

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Mar 31, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Okay it was just glossed over real quick with someone saying they weren't paid and someone else saying they spend every holiday there in the same episode. Which raises my exploiting workers flags.

i have bad news for you about every nonprofit organization in america
it's a scummy industry built on exploiting people from the ground up and in a just world we'd break up every single one and make them publically owned
BCR is still not comparable to Joe Exotic or other 'roadside zoo' style animal hells

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
the main problem with outfits like joes is not that they are run by unpleasant people
it is that they contribute to illegal animal trade, breed captive tiger cubs and raise them in abusive conditions, and are basically animal torture farms for profit

the non-profit structure employed by BCR is exploitative and like every other institution under capital is corrupt and perpetuates and benefits from an unjust system

however they do NOT a) engage with illegal animal traders b) keep their animals in miserable conditions c) breed any of their animals for any reason OR d) perpetuate the idea that it is ok to cuddle tiger cubs or breed white tigers for human amusement

i ain't going to go to bat for their employment practices, which i both don't know a lot about and don't really think will be worth defending

please refer to my username for my opinon on explotative labor practice and the systems that perpetuate them

the ASPCA and humane societies likely are run by equally unpleasant people and exploit volunteer labor, but that doesn't make them the exact moral equivalent of a puppy mill

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Mar 31, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
i guess i can't really argue with that!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
what drives me wild is the amount of people who have come out of tiger king thinking

'big cat rescue is the same as a road side zoo'

I'm genuinely curious if the documentary actually covered the differences between BCR and the conditions the animals are kept in at places like Joe Exotics
what it takes to get accredited internationally as a big cat sanctuary
Or the fact that it is pretty much illegal to release most of the animals (usually rescued from private 'collectors') at BCR back into the wild, since that is the big thing everyone is flooding their youtube vids to complain about
when you have an elderly tiger that has been declawed and privately owned it's whole life, it's choices are the 'retirement home' of a sanctuary or being put down, everyone is saying 'if BCR cared about the animals they'd be releasing them' and it boggles my mind how ill-informed of a position that is, and how easy it is to find that they do rehab and release the animals that 1) they are legally allowed to and 2) can be safely returned

and

'joe exotic is sympathetic somehow'

this i don't understand in the slightest
they did cover what happens to the tigers he trades in if they aren't rescued, right? the private tiger trade is a meat grinder and once they aren't cute anymore, they end up butchered for parts
i heard the deliberately cut out some of his racist tirades for 'lacking context' which is hilarious considering the stuff they left in

note that none of this is about Carole Baskin because who gives a gently caress

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

joshtothemaxx posted:

Joe isn't sympathetic to most people imho. He's interesting, unique, entertaining -- and most important, appears to be authentic in his bull poo poo. There are very few charismatic portrayals of rural America in media that aren't pathetically contrived. Same reason why people in Appalachia like Jesco White despite the fact that he is an abuser, totally insane, and practically got his own lovely father killed.

you wouldn't know it by looking at BCR's youtube comments, but I get what you are driving at

it's ruined a genuinely nice little corner of animal rescue videos I follow : (
people were berating them for having a rehab+rescue bobcat is captivity
an animal that was
1) stated clearly it is only there until it is healthy enough to be released
2) was hit by a car and would have died without medical intervention!

the unnerving part is people believing what they want to believe and taking it out on an accredited animal sanctuary

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
As an apology for bringing that up again here is some content

https://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/bly/madhouse/madhouse.html
"10 Days in a Madhouse" Classic 19th century investigative reporting

http://wwaspsurvivors.com/survivor-testimony/
testimony from survivors of the troubled teen industry, a rabbit hole of profit, child abuse, and legal loopholes
read with care it is enraging and depressing

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

“We used to think that giving patients sedative medications was protective against longer-term post-traumatic phenomena,” Joe Bienvenu, an associate professor of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins, told me. “But it turns out, if anything, the opposite appears to be the case.”

"The pandemic has forced doctors to abandon nearly all of the evidence-based interventions that can reduce delirium, according to Wes Ely, a professor of pulmonary and critical care at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. As a result, the prevalence of ICU delirium in patients with COVID-19 is sharply rising."

yikes

also yeah it's very clearly talking about how COVID has made an already existing problem worse, not acting like it's a new thing caused only by COVID

"The absence of family visitation coupled with already overwhelmed medical staff and the extended use of sedatives have many doctors worried about the long-term consequences of ICU stays for COVID-19 survivors. Sounding the alarm the loudest is Ely.

“If you had to design an experiment to make delirium as bad as it could be, COVID is it,” he told me. “COVID is essentially a delirium factory.”"

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 01:16 on May 11, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
- Long term ventilator use is specifically listed as making it worse/patients more vulnerable to it
-The inability of families to visit during the pandemic (which helps patients cope with delusions) and contribute to the ICU diary (which helps patients reconstruct reality after)
-They imply difficulty avoiding sedatives during this time, though it's not really expanded upon
-They discuss shortages caused by the pandemic meaning they can't avoid specific sedatives that they have come to believe make things worse like benzos

They aren't claiming Covid created ICU delirium (they state at several points it is a regular ICU problem) but they do a pretty good job laying out why the pandemic specifically is making it worse and making it harder for doctors to mitigate

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

quote:

The recent trend in critical care has been to minimize sedatives as much as possible. Doctors try to avoid benzodiazepines, a class of sedatives that is known to be particularly deliriogenic. But widespread medication shortages have rendered this impossible. On top of that, many COVID-19 patients require prolonged ventilation, which means they need to be sedated for longer, and often more heavily.

The pandemic has forced doctors to abandon nearly all of the evidence-based interventions that can reduce delirium, according to Wes Ely, a professor of pulmonary and critical care at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. As a result, the prevalence of ICU delirium in patients with COVID-19 is sharply rising.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Jesus christ.

On a lighter note, I stumbled across a truly harrowing cave exploration story with a less grim ending than they usually have. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/article/flood-escape-deepest-cave-veryovkina-abkhazia Still very unnerving! Also interesting to read about the deepest cave in the world. If NatGeo is paywalled for you, this youtuber sticks really close to the Nat Geo story, but reads it very engagingly. He adds on a slightly more depressing incident story after telling the the flood story, at the end.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNvfJYPYO60

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The answer is usually because the cops didn't actually give a poo poo.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I just hope she's recovering well, whatever happened. :(

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This and the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire were only a few years apart.They and The Station fire stick with me as way too late for very preventable humongous disasters.

I have bad news about the contemporary prevalance of preventable humongous disasters.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
This thread seems like the place to share some goodish news about an incurable disorder:
Huge progress seems to have been made on two different drug therapies for fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02561-8
https://www.ifopa.org/lumina_1_phase_2_results_published_in_nature

https://www.ifopa.org/fda_approves_palovarotene_as_treatment_for_fop

Both are drugs that reduce new bone growth, something that previously simply hasn't been possible for this infamous disorder. The second also has significant potential side effects, not totally sure about the first from the press releases and abstracts, and both are early stage, but it's still a huge development.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'm glad she did save that baby but what a terrible tragedy overall. That poor father they interviewed at the end.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

The Golden Gael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irOQ4gzY0g8

In the early 1990s, three men set out on a mission: to build the ultimate jetpack. Unfortunately, these gentlemen weren't the most stable individuals and the project quickly devolved into infighting and violence. One guy was hit with a hammer so bad he was bedridden for a week. Another man was murdered. Then the first guy kidnapped the guy who attacked him. It's a lot more intense than my blurb right here so have yourselves a watch.

This one was spectacular. It just didn't stop escalating!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Inceltown posted:

Shipping companies, famous for being hamstrung by DEI hires and not the fact that they do everything they can to get all their poo poo done in the cheapest and most environmentally toxic places.

No, it's stupider. They're blaming it the mayor of the city being black.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

The Mighty Moltres posted:

What the gently caress is going on in New Mexico?

Honestly it sounds like what's happening is that woman had a psychotic episode or other serious mental disturbance and it ended tragically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.mississippifreepress.org/40991/cold-cases-officials-keeping-bodies-for-personal-collections-spurred-push-for-new-law

Hey

What the gently caress