Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Lore kind of covers some of that stuff. It mixes historical context with urban legends and some of the podcast subjects are quite disturbing when looking at murders committed due to insane beliefs.

https://www.lorepodcast.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

DocBubonic posted:

I don't think anyone has brought up Public Service Announcements yet.

I’m not sure how effective these PSAs are, but I’m sure they had quite effect on the people who watched them.

As a kid I remember seeing the movie Moving Violations and it made fun of those car accident films in an over-the-top way with blood covering the windshield. I thought it was real, though, and my mother said she had to watch those so I was super scared for drivers ed when I got older. My drivers ed class didn't have any films like that, but did have a train safety presentation. The guy giving it showed a CCTV clip of a woman being hit by a train as she ran through a crossing. I'd never seen a person die before and I was disturbed for a long time. So, I couldn't imagine seeing those PSA ones when if I was that age in that era. I hated trains, anyways, after some scary encounters as a kid with them but mostly due to seeing the move The Dollmaker as a young kid.

In my early 20s, though, while in training for a new job one of the guys there had been a fireman. He'd give presentations with MADD and had slides of gory accidents from drunk drivers that he showed our group during a break. Guess that made up for what I missed in drivers ed! It's crazy how well I still recall the details of them, too, so that stuff really imprints a memory.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My grandfather passed away in his late 80s with pretty severe dementia. Before he went into full time care he'd frequently think he was a child still and always wonder when the dance would be over so he could go home. He'd randomly yell out "who's there?" and "why are they upstairs still?" which was rather alarming since they lived out in a a very rural old farmhouse that was very creepy at night.

He was a monster of a man with a dark past, though, and it was very strange seeing him go from someone I was terrified to make eye contact with through my whole life to this frail person unable to stand calling out for his mother. He had been very smart and clever with great skill at carpentry and building in general. He turned an old school bus into a motor home full of interesting little touches to make things work that he thought up himself. Seeing him change from this extremely capable and towering person who built a large farm out of basically nothing to this tiny thing barely able to move, swallowed up by the recliner chair that was once his throne he expected us to sit silently around as he was waited on felt so strange.

About a year before he died but was very mentally gone I went to see him with a sibling who got the worst of his behavior growing up. It didn't come to light until he'd already started to decline mentally and as it went with other relatives who sided with him he never was truly confronted about it. I was really nervous and unsure about this visit happening but went along in case some intervention was needed.

When I arrived with my sibling he was curled up in his little bed in a little room unaware of anything and not too responsive to my greeting. Then when he turned over enough to see my sibling next to me, who then introduced them self after no contact for many years, he said "oh, it's you".

A couple small things were then said in making acquaintances and then he was told "things have been very difficult" followed with being asked "do you remember what you did?".

He went quiet and looked away. He replied with "we both have sore thumbs, like when you miss the nail and hammer it instead, but you weren't swinging the hammer". A few more things were said to him about the pain he caused and my sibling mentioned stories of a rough childhood my grandfather had. He said it was rough as well as a few more things about regret. My sibling then said they forgive him and was trying hard to be a good parent and not let such things happen again. It was quite the contrast to how things had been growing up. It turned out to be a warm and nice moment that was really a good release for pent up anger and hurt.

A few more simple things were discussed and caught up on as we talked about the carpentry skill he had and some silly memories from family picnics, like a watermelon seed fight that he also recalled. Then like a switch was thrown suddenly he complained about someone else in the room and not knowing where he was or who we were. He started to act afraid wanting to go home, referring to things about where he grew up in the next state over. My sibling went out and I helped him get into a different position on his bed where he shortly later fell asleep. I only visited him a few more times after that and never again had a coherent conversation. Other family members said the same thing.

Dementia is one hell of a thing for sure.

AzureSkys has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Jul 1, 2019

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

To combine insane Mormon things and child trafficking there's Tim Ballard.

He rose to a lot of fame for creating a so called anti-trafficking organization tugging on the the heart strings of his followers by making dramatic rescue social media videos. They even made a movie about it, Sounds of Freedom starring Jim Caviezel, had endorsements from Glenn Beck, and the ear of the government. Turns out most of the stories were fabricated, Tim used a physic who had the ghost of a Book of Mormon character speak to her to help in his anti-trafficking efforts, believed he was on a path to become a prophet-type figure in the LDS church, and the money their anti-trafficking group was getting wasn't exactly going to that save the children effort. Oh, he also contrived a "couple's rouse" to where he'd have to practice sex acts with women employees in his group who were playing the role of his wife while doing under cover operations so that they could be more convincing to the traffickers.

Last year as all this came out he was denounced by the LDS church as they quickly scrubbed any affiliation with him. Now Tim looks to be changing religions and announced so at a recent Catholic Prayer for Trump event! https://bsky.app/profile/tokensandsigns.org/post/3kosbyc3t4u2v

edit:
If reddit links are OK, the exmormon community is huge there and does a good job of summarizing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/17rai1e/summary_of_tim_ballard_affair/

AzureSkys has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Mar 30, 2024