Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

DStecks posted:

(MKULTRA was also the money behind Robert Heath's experiments.)

What's extra horrifying/depressing about MKULTRA, for my money, is that in the end the CIA just threw up its hands and said "Welp, I guess mind control doesn't exist", so billions of dollars were spent, hundreds of lives ruined, and who knows how many atrocities committed just to prove that The Manchurian Candidate was a work of fiction.

I think that's basically the ultimate objection to anybody who bemoans how much science could advance if not for ethics, because here's the thing: we've tried that, and it doesn't really teach us anything we couldn't have learned ethically (the only exception that comes to mind being the Nazi's hypothermia research, which is pretty :smith:).

Yeah. And Japan basically did the same "research" at the same time and learned the same thing. Making it even more of a waste.

Honestly, in the last thread someone always used to say something to the effect of "this is way worse than anything else can't get over that," about just about every new topic someone brought up (obviously everyone has different feelings about what is the worst thing they ever read). But I always thought to myself "How can you say that when Unit 731 is on the first drat page."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Basically its about as bad as you can imagine as far as experimentation on humans with the expected outcomes being lethal. Organ removals and amputations without anesthesia. Sometimes reattaching the body parts often times not in the right places. I recall trying them trying to attach the amputated limbs to a twin of the original owner or unrelated prisoners but didn't see that in my quick scan. Freezing and thawing of limbs to see their effects on the body. Infecting prisoners with diseases to study the effects of various diseases when untreated. Testing of biological and chemical agents. Testing of conventional weapons such as explosives and flame throwers at various positions and distances to test leathality. Exposing prisoners to high and low pressure atmosphere and radiation. Injecting prisoners with salt water and animals' blood.

And now I need a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Many of those can be attributed to the fact that eye witnesses are poo poo. We often forget or ignore unimportant facts until we realize they are important. What is worse is that our subconscious starts to make poo poo up when we realize we missed important details and now our memory is filled with stuff that never happened.

I would be more likely to believe the witnesses after they knew someone was missing and actively looking for something specific (a white car). Such as the guy in the helicopter spotting the car. From the timeline you state, its hard to tell if the ranger who checked the parking lot 4 times knew what he was looking for or not at the time. He could have easily said to himself "Man this parking lot is empty, I expected more cars," and now his memory is of an empty parking lot rather than a lot with one car in it. The woman saying that the car looked different than a picture is meaningless. Perspective and angle really makes things look weird.

Still sounds like an interesting case. I will read up more on it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Gloomiebat posted:

Are open-caskets really common in US funerals then? Like would they be more common than a closed-casket or about 50/50? (Genuinely curious!) I knew they were a thing in general but because I live in the UK it's never something I've ever actually experienced first hand. I just assumed closed-caskets were the norm in general and you could certainly request an open-casket if you preferred.

I don't want to offend anyone but it seems very weird to me. I understand that people would want one last chance to see their loved one and say goodbye but I think personally I'd prefer to remember them when they were alive. I know there's totally this huge purposeful detachment or even denial from the reality of death with that mindset but it's not an easy thing to alter I guess.

I live in the US and I have not been to very many funerals (about 5 or 6), and I am pretty sure all but one was open casket. The one that was not was for a family friend in his 60s or 70s. I was very young at the time, but I asked about it later. My mother says that it was because he died after a long fight with cancer and looked very frail. The widow wanted him to be remember as he was before he got sick rather than as he was when he died.

The one of the open caskets was for a man who died of a self inflicted gun shot wound to the head. I had no idea they could even do that sort of thing, but I was pretty amazed. You would have never known.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

There is a list of about 10 or 12 shootings where the shooter was subdued or shot by someone who was considered a private citizen with a conceal and carry permit. I wasn't familiar with any of the incidents, so I can't comment on if they are examples of "good guy with a gun" that the NRA likes to talk about, but about half of them the subduing appears to happen after the active shooting was over and the shooter was leaving the premises. About half of the total 10 or so were performed by military or former military personnel ("acting as a private citizen at the time").

Here is the least bias source (as in the source, the Washington Post, not necessarily the article) I could find that contained such a list.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

I think not only letting but expecting private citizens with little to no training to deal with active shooter situations is foolish to say the least, but there you have it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

Here's a callback to a thread favorite!

The Station nightclub illegally had no sprinklers in the building. As a result, over 100 people died when a fire broke out during a show on February 20, 2003. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) re-created the disaster, both with and without sprinklers, to illustrate differences in the temperature and spread of the flames.

Original raw footage of the fire for the unfamiliar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOzfq9Egxeo

NIST without sprinklers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxiOXZ55hbc

NIST with sprinklers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1EWVR1iP8

I didn't think the fire was too bad in the first one, then all of the sudden at the 1 minute mark the smoke went from a little bit on the ceiling to very quickly covering the entire area in about 3 seconds.

About that same time the fire so ready very quickly.

Never want to be caught in a fire. Probably two of the worst ways to go between burns and smoke inhalation.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Free Market Mambo posted:

It's also theorized that the two Italians who left the crash site with Swedish meteorologist Finn Malmgren ate him. His body was never found and only visually sighted from afar by a rescue plane.

I feel like between this thread and the Everest/Mountain Climbing threads, the biggest lesson is to never trust Italians when cold and snow is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Having sex as a man is loving terrifying, imagine being compelled by your stupid brain to do that, either with a hetero lady or a gay dude, and wondering if you'll loving murder this time because, dude, I had a poor relationship with mom / a bad day at work.

Inside the mind of a serial killer.