Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
or it could have started a lot closer, and might hit us any second n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Does it really matter?

Yes, it does, a lot. Even if it doesn't matter to you personally.

EDIT: Speaking as a suicide survivor here, who's also had two friends commit suicide.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Fine, suicide attempt survivor.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Rysithusiku posted:

Because reading the last page is so hard.

Blindsight is different from the other vision impairments posted so far. Because reading things is so hard.

Unless you're doing something super meta and I'm just not getting it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I'm amazed that I've never heard about this before. Crazy disappearance case from my hometown. No one's been able to identify the book found at the scene, and there's still no explanation for the bizarre objects that kept showing up in the forest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orillia_Incident
I'm definitely not sleeping tonight. :tinfoil:

You won't be sleeping tonight, but apparently not for the reasons you claim

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pharnakes posted:

Great ad for the whole thing really, it was stuffed full of fuel, riddled with bullets then left to rot on beach for 60 years. And it's all still there pretty much. Wonder how long an F35 would survive those conditions? :v:

Never mind the F-35, the Navy's Littoral Combat Ship would have probably disintegrated within a decade or two

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

duckmaster posted:

...With no training.

Sure, maybe not for that specific thing, but sailors are by far better trained and prepared for how to assess and respond to emergency situations in general. Sailors in general are just better trained.

Most climbers, especially Everest as we're talking about right now, are hobbyists, if that. Some are just people with enough money who wanna brag to their friends.

something something apples oranges fart~*

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's the 2015 thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694151

Featuring that dumb Canadian lady who managed to make her own death hilarious rather than tragic.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

When people walk by a dying person and continue climbing, they are doing so because they value getting to the top over another human life, regardless of whether or not it was possible to actually rescue the person.

While you are right in that for some, possibly even most of the recreational climbers, the financial investment is a factor, I guarantee you it's only a small one. Even inexperienced climbers get it drilled into their head that attempting to rescue a dying cohort, especially above the Death Zone, is not only really likely to fail, it's even more likely to end up with TWO people dead now. Unless they're fam, there's really no point--everyone's aware of the risks, and responsible for their own health and well-being past a certain point. If you push past your limits and die, welp.

Consider that the sherpas don't even consider any heroics. poo poo, they're the ones who drill "don't be a hero" into everyone's heads.

There's lots of situations closer to home where this kind of decision needs to be made too, and it's often a traumatic or fatal one:
David Allen Kirwan dies rescuing his dog from a Yellowstone hot spring
Seven members of a family dying one after another trying to rescue each other from an industrial pig-poo poo septic tank
And any number of examples of fatal rescue attempts in confined spaces

So yeah, a grip of climbers probably do got their mind on their money and vice versa, but it's way way way more than that.

edit: all this applies regardless if you're going up or down. It's about more than how many resources you still have on you or how fresh you are--it's the fact that being up there, even on the well-worn and beaten paths, is already so arduous and treacherous that by the time you reach the part of the mountain where you might find someone dying on the side of the path, you stand a good chance of injuring yourself or dying just trying to get to them, or especially in trying to help a dying person down a mountain. Especially at the parts where you'd need to lower them down a sheer cliff face.

Has anyone here tried to lift a limp person? If you have, then let's picture ideal conditions at sea level--and let's say you're lucky and you have a friend that's equally altruistic and that's willing to help you carry this dying person. You, your friend, and the expectant are all wearing/carrying your climbing gear, and you have to move him let's say a few city blocks.

Even without gear and poo poo I'd be fuckin dying

Now imagine doing this on Everest, where you'll probably be the only dummy running out waving an oxygen bottle yelling "stiff upper lip chum, I'm here to rescue you!" so you now have to try and carry/drag this other dying idiot all the way down Mount Everest

so... yeah.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Feb 26, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

duckmaster posted:

It's a problem unique to Everest
Yes, but that's primarily because Everest is so high that the atmosphere becomes unsurvivable past a certain point. There is some rich entitled bullshit at work, sure, my point is it doesn't matter anywhere near as much as matters of simple survival. Everest's size is the reason why you can't have rescue teams of hundreds of volunteers crawling over it for rescue missions--the hurdles are insanely higher for Everest past a certain elevation than any other mountain on earth.

quote:

The simple fact of the matter is that mountaineers attacking harder peaks than Everest tend to help one another out, even going so far as to risk their own lives to save someone elses. Because for that type of mountaineer the mountain is their enemy and has to be defeated and their fellow climbers are their comrades. For the majority of commerical climbers on Everest their fellow climbers are an enemy getting in the way and they're the ones to be defeated.
This is totally true though, and definitely a factor! I'm just saying it's not as big of one as some folks in this thread are making it out to be.

quote:

In 2012 an Israeli climber came across an American, 1000ft from the summit. He picked him up and carried him off.
Well good for him; he's an extremely good-hearted, fit, and prepared dude

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Let's learn about St. Edward Seminary in Kenmore, WA.

Whoa, I used to live near there and I went to that park all the time. A couple of friends even had their wedding in that building (I guess one of the only areas that can still get used?)

I had no idea. I'm bout to ask all my friends to see if they know about this

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PresidentBeard posted:

If someone is able to actively hear others begging for their lives and kills them anyways because of mental illness over the course of several minutes, that's a level of mental illness that should be kept away from the ability to kill other people. Psych tests of pilots doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

I don't think anyone's arguing against these two points

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

... but do they really have this little understanding of how public perception works?

yep

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

There's going to be a Wikipedia page about me soon and how I tracked down and murdered a bunch of bickering nerds, keep an eye out for it

Scary and unnerving: many goons will probably laugh at this post (like I did), while at the same time remembering that one time we did that, a goon ended up shooting folks over puckins.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

I can't remember where I heard it, and as I type this I suspect it's bullshit, but big things like buildings are designed to wobble a little, accounting for winds/etc. The idea is that if there's forces like that acting on the building, it's safer to design in a little bit of bend versus something snapping off.

Yeah, to be fair, despite the eventual collapse it looks like it lasted waaaaay longer than a really rigid bridge would have. And considering the distances you're talking about, and how much the earth moves and all the vibrations from the engines and shifting loads on it all day every day, flexibility is def an asset

but yeah that bridge was flexible as gently caress apparently hahaha

edit: fun fact I did some of the radiography/ultrasound work on the replacement bridge when it was getting built; I got hired onto the company that was subcontracted for that right at the tail end of the project.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Literally Kermit posted:

Shhhh, spoilers! :ssh:
hahaha aw poo poo my bad

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Apr 29, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JacquelineDempsey posted:

edit: eh, hell, I'll copy Johnston's weird tale, for those of you into plane crashes:

If only they had an airframe parachute

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, but I think a lot of Americans are also annoyed by the exaggerated in-your-face fake enthusiasm of Applebees and its ilk. If Nandos is how you describe, the Brits should have gone to Denny's.
American here, and yeah I kinda hate it. It's why I don't go to chain restaurants like that in the first place anymore.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I-jfW31XyE

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Have you ever gotten home from work/school exhausted, laid down for a nap, then woken up at 8 or 9 in a panic, thinking you were late, only to realize it was still the same night?

It was probably something similar with some miners and the aurorae.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Terrible Opinions posted:

Did you actually read the page you linked? I explicitly states almost exactly what I suggested. The only time it's completely impossible to retain information from is before your brain is fully developed, and that settles down sometime in your 2nd year of life, making memories from the 2-4 possible but unreliable and generally error prone.

go easy on him, maybe he's 3 and misremembered the article

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I remember a surprising number of things from 2 and on. The clearest memories are of course the traumatic ones, like 3-year-old me curious about the stove while my mom was cooking, and I was so single-mindedly fascinated that I wouldn't stop trying to touch the flames, so to get me to stop she slapped me a few times and then held my hand over the stove until I had blisters.

I surprised her with that memory when I was much older, since that was definitely something that she'd never brought up.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

:stonk: That's...kinda hosed up. I touched an old electric stove burner when I was like 4 or 5 and had a cool spiral burn pattern in my hand, hurt like a motherfucker but my mom never did anything like yours to keep me from doing bad stuff.

Yeah, she was pretty awful until I got big enough to push back.

Another memory I have is clogging some house drain by filling it with sand so I could make a birthday cake, confirmed by my dad later when I cracked up recalling it and asked him if that actually happened

So it's definitely possible, is my point, it's just gonna be rare and fragmented mostly

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nocal posted:

Various studies: your memory is not like a video recording, and in fact can be faulty. You can be convinced that you have a memory of something that didn't happen. Eyewitnesses cannot necessarily accurately recall events that have occurred minutes earlier. Memories can change over time. You have no memories during a certain portion of infancy, and no one is sure why.

Most people: wow memory is not what I thought.

Goons: no

Nobody's denying it. It's just some goons are hearing "can" and "often" etc. in the studies, and interpreting it as "always the case." Other goons are responding with "well, as the studies themselves say, it's not always necessarily the case and there's some individual variance." For some reason, the first group takes issue with that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
God loving dammit did you loving goons have to bring the steak derail into this thread of all loving threads

Look I don't have anything uniquely/newly creepy or unnerving off the top of my head but here's the black box site again: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

I've had a few times where I've been in a really morbid mood and gone through a bunch of these; by now I've probably rounded the whole list twice. The ones where you can hear the warning system give me chills more than any other; something about the detached, repeating "WOOP WOOP--PULL UP. WOOP WOOP--PULL UP" gives me goosebumps.

On the more uplifting side, I'm also always filled with an immense respect for the flight crew who get into terrible, often unrecoverable situations, and even though their voices are taut with the strain of fighting off impending death, they're (mostly) keeping it together to a heroic degree to try every last option to keep their craft and passengers in the air. Some of them lose composure, sure, but nowhere to the degree the average person might, and even if they did, who could blame em? These always leave me with a lot of conflicted feelings.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

InediblePenguin posted:

Juggalo planes, the truest horror

this made me laugh way too hard

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm actually glad the video was down by the time I read the article. These last 2-3 pages are some serious no-poo poo actual trigger warning poo poo. Nothing like the sounds of someone dying to permanently scar your mind, forever.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It is true though. It's not the lack of O2 that makes you panic and your brain go OHFUCK, it's the buildup of CO2.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SlightButSteady posted:

You don't think there'd be a build up of CO2 in a sealed coffin? Really?

oh duh. I was flipping back and forth between work and reading threads in 2-3 post chunks and forgot this was in the context of a live burial.

Yeah nah, that was agonizing as gently caress then.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The Homie Hook-up transcends all forms of payment for goods & services.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Avshalom posted:

Sweet. Broad. fart. Feel it ease through you. The deep plumb of it through the unexplored caverns inside. Just below your ribs. A bubble in your aquefers, it travels through. Accelerated by ripe fruits. It penetrates your fleshy cheeks, it's an inversion of sex. The fart, erupting. Goodbye

Not bad, but you're no James Joyce.

James Joyce posted:

You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I hosed them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to gently caress a farting woman when every gently caress drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora’s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That was an all right article. The "Jaws extra" theory in #1 is really, really dumb though. Even if it somehow was her, the detective work comes down to "She's a white lady! And has brown hair and a face!"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I HATE getting stuck in sex traffic. I mean, sure, at first it's fun, it's neat, you're like 'I can do this all day!' but when you're 3 hours from home and you run out of lube, it's a rough ride, my friends.

You aren't stuck in sex traffic, you ARE the sex traffic.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

citybeatnik posted:

I think the implication was "if people get upset if you say that the US is a brutal patriarchy, show them this thing so they see that they're wrong to get upset because this poo poo is happening for real".

That's the only interpretation that makes the slightest bit of sense to me. Maybe Josef K Sourdust isn't aware of "squeal" as a synonym for "snitch" and meant it in an onomatopoeia way (i.e. shriek)

edit: wait no that doesn't make sense either

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

girl pants posted:

I read it as "if somebody complains about the U.S. being a disgusting patriarchy, shut them up with this, because it could be so much worse!"

I hope I'm wrong

Actually I think you're right.

Ugh.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sarcopenia posted:

Where did you get your avatar from?

That's just the new Stupid Newbie av. It's really really bad.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kanine posted:

ok cool thats what i thought

It's also a reference to a "joke" where a wise and cool dad tells his silly college daughter she should redistribute her good grades so that everyone in her class can have C's or something, and when she balks at this he smugs "welcome to the Republican party" at her

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

...do you think maybe I'm talking about NAMBLA? you know, the organization for pedophiles?

... Do you think maybe they weren't?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There sure are a lot of people who apparently read that article and took away the message "yup she's dead case closed, those greedy fucks"

I'm assuming the first half of that statement, probably incorrectly

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
But reading the article would cut into the time needed to post hot takes and cluck sympathetically about the poor crazy mother while calling the girl a corpse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I have no idea what kind of point you're making but it's junk, full stop. The repercussions of this are extremely complex so yay for you if you figured that out.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Feb 10, 2018