Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I just discovered this one a few days ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazino_affair

In Stalin's Russia, 6000 deportees were put on an island with no shelter, no supplies, and the only food was flour which they had to mix with swamp water. 295 people were buried on the first day, I'm guessing due to a large part because their transport to the island was on river barges intended to haul wood.

There were a lot of criminals that kept things unsafe, many people drowned trying to escape, and the guards would use anybody escaping as target practice.

It's called Death Island or Cannibal Island because 4,000 of the 6,000 died there, and there were a number of cases of cannibalism.

There is a book called Cannibal Island: Death in a Siberian Gulag that I've added to my reading queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I think you would really enjoy The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's fiction, but it's pretty great.

From wikipedia:

quote:

The novel is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic to force the Northwest Passage in 1845–1848. In the novel, while Franklin and his crew are plagued by starvation and scurvy and forced to contend with mutiny and cannibalism, they are stalked across the bleak Arctic landscape by a monster.

The characters featured in The Terror are almost all actual members of Franklin's crew, whose unexplained disappearance has warranted a great deal of speculation.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Jambo Jambos posted:

http://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/

Bouvet Island lies in the furthest reaches of the storm-wracked Southern Ocean, far south even of the Roaring Forties. It is a speck of ice in the middle of a freezing fastness: a few square miles of uninhabited volcanic basalt groaning under several hundred feet of glacier, scraped raw by gales, shrouded by drifts of sea-fog, and utterly devoid of trees, shelter, or landing places.

So how did a rowing boat, a forty-four gallon drum and a pair of oars appear on the island. Whose were they? What happened them?
I knew about Bouvet Island, but never had heard about the boat, oars and drum being left there. Very interesting read.

That blog is pretty awesome too.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
forbiddenforum posted in TFR a few times, including talking about getting revenge on people who had destroyed his Halloween pumpkin. He got banned a few days before he put on a cape, helmet and paintball mask and shot and killed two of his neighbors and then himself.

http://murderpedia.org/male.F/f/freund-william.htm

People found places where he'd posted online, just wanting someone to be his friend. :smith:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
There isn't a Wikipedia article about "The Bug Pit" but it's horrifying to consider.

http://www.vice.com/read/brutality-report-knowledge-of-the-bug-pit

quote:

Accounts vary as to the exact size of the pit. Reports describe a stone chasm somewhere between 12 and 40 feet deep. Some versions have the pit open for inspection, others cite the sole entrance as a hole in the ceiling through which horse manure and the occasional rope were dropped. What is known for certain is that the pit was filled with "vermin." Rats were part of the mix, but mostly it was just a big hole filled with insects. Stoddart served the next two years of solitary confinement in the Bug Pit.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/zindon-prison

quote:

In 1842, the British soldiers Connolly and Stoddart were executed in front of the Ark Fortress in Bukhara. It was the grim finale to years of torture (for Stoddart - four years) in the Zindon prison located within the fortress. However, the most famous resident of Zindon was not a person, but a place: "the Bug Pit," a four meter deep hole, accessible only by rope. This bleak pit is where Connolly and Stoddart spent their time in Zindon, while guards poured scorpions, bugs, and rodents onto their heads.

http://www.abandonthecube.com/blog/bukhara-%E2%80%93-the-city-synonymous-with-medieval-torture/

quote:

This was no ordinary prison, the Zindon prison has a special cell for the worst offenders that is lovingly referred to as the bug pit. This pit is roughly twelve feet deep and only accessible by a rope lowered down through a hole in the center of the ceiling. Into this hole the prison guards gingerly poured daily doses of scorpions, rodents and other vermin. Stoddart was to languish in this pit alone for a year.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
At the apartment complex I'm living at now, I met an older couple (mid 60s probably). He'd said he was retired military. We were talking about where we'd previously lived, etc. I brought up Chile, and he mentioned how it looked like a beautiful country, but that he'd only been there overnight. He said he was sent down to "locate" someone, and immediately flown out. His wife started saying what year, "in seventy--", and he cut her off, "sometime in the seventies or eighties. Eighties." And then he refused to talk about it anymore. It was a little creepy. I really wish I could have gotten more details, but he was not going to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

nucleicmaxid posted:

The worst part for me is the very last part in the wikipedia article, when she's admitting it/talking about it in her parole hearings?

She really does seem like she has some sort of mental illness, she either barely remembers what happened, or knows something she did was wrong, and can't remember why she did it. And the response to this is just to shrug and put her back in jail to rot for two more years, rather than get her any help. So you just have this mentally ill woman who is simultaneously saddened by the death of her children, and also completely confused as to why she did it in the first place, sitting in a jail cell for 2 years between attempts to try and get out.
She doesn't have to apply for parole, I'm pretty sure.