Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

As a non-American, I seriously had no idea you could go inside the Washington Monument. I thought it was just a big obelisk and that was it.

I've learned something from this thread other than the fear of humanity in general :downs:

There are lots of the stones from different countries. There's one mysterious one from Japan in 1853, and a newer legible one from the 80s... Plus boring ones from printing groups or firefighters in the late 1800s. It's really crazy because they just sort of find places to shove in these gifts in the marble. Yes, the interior of the Washington Monument is like Victorian NASCAR. When I visited in the late 80s they may or may not have been installing a stone and I may or may not have collected pieces of scrap marble that had fallen on the stairs. Had I done such a thing, it would only be to keep someone from inadvertently slipping on the way down.

EDIT: Oh, and a LOT of Freemason stuff and commemorative stones in the Washington Monument, so if any of you want to go down that rabbit hole, have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Double Plus Good posted:

It depends. Drawing, writing, and reading are all assessed separately from language.

And reading in different scripts can impact different parts of the brain, meaning that you can be dyslexic in one script but not in another:

quote:

For years the latter viewpoint had the upper hand. But last September a team of researchers led by Li Hai Tan published a paper in Nature saying: Not so fast. Li and friends performed brain scans of Chinese readers, both normal and dyslexic, who were taking reading tests. They found that normal Chinese readers show increased activity in the brain's left middle frontal gyrus, thought to specialize in remembering visual patterns (e.g., the thousands of Chinese characters), whereas Chinese dyslexics show less activity there. In contrast, readers of English show high activity in a different cranial district called the left temporoparietal regions, whereas English dyslexics show less.

The shrewd will now think: Jeez, sounds like you could be dyslexic in one language but not the other. Exactly. Commenting on Li's work in the Guardian, British neuroscientists Brian Butterworth and Joey Tang point to the case of Alan, who has English parents but was raised in Japan. Alan is severely dyslexic in English but has no problems reading Japanese. Naturally, say Butterworth and Tang. They think dyslexia is the same for everyone, and affects "phonemic analysis"--the ability to convert letters into sounds, which the reader then assembles into syllables, words, sentences, etc. Alan's problem presumably is that he's lousy at phonemic analysis but OK at the skills needed to decode Japanese. (Japanese, so we're clear, uses various scripts in addition to Chinese pictograms but still basically matches one symbol to one syllable.) Butterworth and Tang suggest that the dyslexia = sucks-at-phonemic-analysis theory also explains why there are fewer Chinese dyslexics: phonemic analysis is an extra step for which Chinese readers have less need.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2591/is-it-possible-to-be-dyslexic-in-chinese

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040830/full/news040830-5.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographies_and_dyslexia

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
There was the 2008 Chinese Milk Scandal in which baby formula was found to be adulterated with melamine, the same chemical that killed a bunch of cats and dogs from tainted pet food. But here's the one that has always terrified me:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2008/09/22/2003423869

quote:

Thirteen babies died of malnutrition in 2004 and almost 200 were hospitalized in Anhui Province after drinking milk powder with no nutritional content.

A baby formula company was literally making formula with no nutritional content. And that's not a case of somebody not wearing a hair net or some bizarre cow disease, it's an entire company deciding to cut corners by making something that would vaguely look like milk when combined with water.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

wootsie posted:

Pro click, but apparently it was over 15000 PAGES. There's also a documentary from 2004 that I'm watching at the moment.

The documentary is really good. If you just heard, "Ah, here's this oddball who draws naked girls with penises getting punished by aliens AND he works as a custodian at an elementary school and always wanted to adopt a kid..." You'd think he was a monster. But he appears to be a fairly harmless guy with some mental issues that he dealt with in a harmless (and private) way. I've always wondered if he really wanted any of this published after his death.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

BattyKiara posted:

A bit of googling of Sporadic E led me to this: http://www.apts.org.uk/recording.htm

Not quite as I remembered it, but probably what I was thinking of. Thank you for solving my mystery.

There is the practice of meteor burst communications. During heavy meteor activity you can get radio reception from far away with fairly low-powered equipment. The signals bounce off of ion trails in the atmosphere and if you're lucky enough to get a few pointed in the direction of transmitter-->receiver, then it's kind of like having an extra length of cable up in the sky for fractions of a second.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Nckdictator posted:

James Baskett... later becomes the first African-American to win a Oscar for his role in Song of the South

Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar for Gone With The Wind in 1939. Baskett's Oscar was an honorary one, while the first regular Oscar won by an African American male was Sidney Poitier for 1963's Lilies of the Field.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Sex Hobbit posted:

I used to work in a funeral home and brains actually MELT at room temp once they're dead. You'd try to pick up the brain slices the pathologist left you and they just schlurp right through your fingers.

The texture is something between undercooked scrambled eggs and butter that's been softened in a warm room. All of my experience with brains comes from pigs, but it's amazing that something so fragile (and frankly, just one big ball of fat) is so powerful.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

edrith posted:

Qisuk was eventually reburied with proper rights, but the story is an insight on how hosed up early anthropology/polar exploration could be.

I'm always amazed at the brief but popular history of Human Zoos at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th: sometimes entire villages from Africa or other places were transplanted to the US or Europe, in other cases humans were exhibited in animal zoos, like Ota Benga, who was displayed in the Monkey House at the Bronx Zoo.

This was done with Native Americans as well, and human zoo exhibits were really popular at World Fairs during those years.

Lots of pictures here NSFW.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
At the intersection of football hooligans and newspapers comes the Millwall brick: an improvised weapon made out of newspaper devised after stadium police started confiscating anything that could possibly be a weapon in the 1960s. I think I first learned about it in Bill Buford's Among the Thugs, recommended to me by an anthropology professor.

Video tutorial

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

artichoke posted:

Can't recommend that book enough. I have zero interest in football and I loved this book. Just fantastic writing and a very interesting take on why we find ecstasy in violence.

I was recommended the book because I'd just read a dozen ethnographies of various cultures, written by Brits. All sorts of nasty things done by tribes around the world. So for perspective, I got to read an American author witnessing things like an English football fan sucking the eyeball out of a policeman's skull during a bar fight. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Literally Kermit posted:

I just got an alert that Arkansas has a live shooter right now.

Edit: maybe not, now I can't seem to find the alert

I wonder if it has anything to do with this upcoming event, which I think is one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived.