Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

The Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory was a cold war era facility that

I'm pretty sure I've read about this place before, but that's some hosed up poo poo.

Here's a video showing a bunch of the stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGYMs0-UcM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

Nature - from space, not nice old mother earth, that is, - can do us one better. Gamma Ray Bursts.

Basically, when a big enough star goes supernova, or hypernova, even, it will release a pulse of extremely energetic particles along its primary axis. We can see gamma ray bursts from other galaxies safely - hell, it's how we actually figure out how far away they are. But, if we had a star with the right orientation, pointing right at us, produce a gamma ray burst, we'd all be dead quick enough we couldn't literally see it coming until it was too late, not that we could actually DO anything about it, either. One of the big mass extinctions before the dinosaurs (The ordovician-silurian extinction event) could have been caused by a gamma ray burst.

Don't gently caress with nature.

And as luck would have it, there's a potential one basically pointed at us.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Plus UV wrecks poo poo pretty good.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The reason they use what they do to odor gas is because it has an extremely low detection threshold and is more distinctive and less toxic than other low detection compounds like hydrogen sulfide. Plus, now there's an association. I mean, I guess you could wake up and wonder why someone has chosen to cook up some durian, onion, and cabbage soup in the middle of the night and doing a real poo poo job of it, but even then you'd probably get up to investigate unless that's a regular dish round your place.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Phenotypic plasticity? I have no idea, honestly. Commercially farmed pigs have been bred for specific traits and are raised in controlled conditions; maybe in the absence of a roof overhead and concrete underfoot a genetic switch of some kind flips and the recessive traits are expressed.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Compare with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oJDVfvTM

Of course that's a large flat surface, and those old 1890s cars were all open wheels and sharp angles.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Besesoth posted:

That's a hell of a trick.

Access to presidential time machine.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

I kinda hope he was the old french version of the shammers of today- look good while brass is around, sham about when there is work to be done, and avoid anything that looks hard...then talk poo poo about how everyone is pussies.

Those people were probably murdered pretty regularly in the 1700s

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Click here for her posts from previous thread.

And thanks for the update, Noisycat.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I wonder how far back things like phone records and flight records go. Like could they go back and see what numbers he was calling on all those German phone calls or where he was going in Europe. Probably not, it being 30 years on and such. But that all makes it sound like some cold war poo poo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sad Mammal posted:

Call me cynical, but, considering rape victims have to pay for their own DNA testing, I don't see feds going out of their way to foot the bill.

The FBI has their own labs, and if they think the evidence is enough to warrant it, they'll request a sample and do their thing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lemme just give you both a few kicks to the ribs while you're down then.

quote:

Multiple former Hutchison advisers recalled asking a focus group about the charge that Perry may have presided over the execution of an innocent man – Cameron Todd Willingham – and got this response from a primary voter: “It takes balls to execute an innocent man.”

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Another messed up thing about the Corll case is that his house in Pasadena wasn't torn down like so many other killers' houses are. It's still there. Someone lives in it, maybe unaware of its history. They never even dug up the property to see if there was anything there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Best thing to do is bury it deep in a remote and inhospitable place with no significant natural resources, leave no marker, and then just forget about it and hope for the best.

Or chuck it all into a subduction zone and let the Earth take care of it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Are you really just now learning about that

Maybe he grew up in Japan

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Fairly soon followed by the "Impassable wall of entangled corpses Zone".

Gotta admit that'd make scaling it more :black101:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Apparently he hid his illness from his employers. Torn up sicknotes were found in his house, but the hospital which says he was treated there have denied he was treated for depression.

Dunno how it works in Europe, but here he could have been grounded medically with no say in the matter. Don't imagine they wouldn't be able to do the same there though. Maybe his doc didn't think it was that serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

How could his employers ground him if they didn't know he was ill?

The doctor does it, reports it to the airline/aviation authorities or whatever.