Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Do you think that people like Tom Cruise and John Travolta really believe in this stuff? I'm sure, as Scientology Royalty, they are shielded from the worst aspects. But it could be that some of them are deeply ashamed of having spent millions of dollars on this crap. Or they've told all their secrets to the organization and are afraid of what might happen if they leave.

At least Katie Holmes had the smart idea of getting her daughter out of there before it was too late. Of course she should have realized what was going on before she married Tom Cruise in the first place, but we can't change the past. Are Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes "Fair Game"? Or would Scientology not risk going after celebrities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Mikl posted:

From today's Wikipedia featured article.

Two people cross a racetrack to go help a driver whose car had caught on fire, just as four more cars are coming around a curve. One of the guys narrowly makes it to the other side. The other... Doesn't.

Emphasis added by me.

High-speed accidents scare the poo poo out of me :stonklol:

You can find the video somewhere. Apparently, human beings hit by 200 MPH cars sound like hitting cardboard boxes.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

I have a story not about scopolamine, but about Propofol.

So last year I dislocated my shoulder, a friend of mine rushed my to the hospital. In there I got 4 shots of morphine but was still feeling a moderate ammount of pain. Here comes the Propofol shot and inmediatly I feel my veins and arteries heat up and feel "euphoric/drunk". The nurse does her standard "count from 10 to 1" thing and I do, and talk... and talk... and talk... and nothing was happening, no doctors where comming to reset my shoulder. "Hey Nurse" I ask her "when are they going to reset my shoulder". She smiles and responds "They already did". I freak the gently caress out and ask my friend what the gently caress happened. In his own words I was acting like a very docile black-out drunk person, talking poo poo, apparently trying to flirt with the nurse and expressed a bit of pain when the doctors reset my shoulder.

This was the first, and so far the only, time I have "blacked out" in my life. Freaky? gently caress yeah it was, I am ok about loosing some control, but I DREAD loosing all control and blacking out (which, again, I have never blacked out before) so this was a surprise to me.

I had a similar experience when I dislocated my elbow. Afterwards the nurse asked me if Propofol sounded familiar. I said no and she said, "That's what Michael Jackson died of!" Oh...thanks?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Withdrawal Plans posted:

From "The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American 80s" by Paul Slansky:

9/10/1986

Director John Landis reveals the hitherto-unguessed-at depths of his immaturity when, following the hostile testimony of a witness, he blocks her exit with his outstretched legs and makes her climb over him.

5/29/1987

(He is acquitted) "My wife and I are still in a daze," exults John Landis, two days later to USA Today. "I'm having lox and bagels by the pool."

6/25/1988

John Landis invites the jury that acquitted him of involuntary manslaughter to a private screening of his new Eddie Murphy film "Coming to America". He does not offer to fly them in by helicopter.

Yeah, it's no surprise that Landis' relationship with Steven Spielberg was destroyed after the Twilight Zone incident. They haven't spoken since.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Guess who this is:

Why it's Aaron Kosminski, otherwise known as Jack The loving Ripper.

Case closed.

Interesting, but I'll wait until sources with actual integrity report on it. If it's just the Daily Mail reporting on something, take it with a grain of salt. But if it's true, then yay?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

EgoEgress posted:

Dunno if this'll be :can: but I went to Japan a few years ago and visited the memorial museum in Hiroshima for the atomic bombings. Some of the stuff there was...pretty disturbing. Regardless if it had to be done to end the war, a lot of people died very horribly.

I can't even imagine what that would have been like to witness. And some lucky bastards got to do it not once, but twice! Like this guy, who still managed to make it to the ripe old age of 93 before cancer got him. :japan:

Ah, an excuse to post photos taken by my grandfather. These were taken in Hiroshima in October 1945.

Freudian posted:

Don't talk about Bryan Cranston like that.

:vince:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Speaking of radiation, how about Human Radiation Experiments by the United States?

Albert Stevens was "misdiagnosed" with stomach cancer so that he could be "treated" with plutonium. He did live 20 years with plutonium in his system, though. Six employees at a Chicago plant were given water infested with plutonium so it could be shown how it's dealt with in the digestive tract. More than 800 pregnant women were given "vitamin drinks" laced with radioactive iron, to see if it would cross the placenta. And of course the retarded children given radioactive mush to eat.

Of course the whole article is depressing.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Did Americans do the same to Germans? I mean, I doubt it but that's why I'm asking. The Soviets certainly raped and pillaged East Germany at least but Germany never did any damage to the United States. And the propaganda against Germany was more about ideology and propaganda against Japan was about race, seeing them as less than human whereas Germans were white.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Sharpe posted:

I was born in 1966. I remember eight-tracks, Jerrold remotes and WKRP in Cincinatti.

I was born in 1982 and remember WKRP In Cincinnati. That and Quincy MD were my favorite shows when I was four. I was a weird kid.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Jisae posted:

My entire boyfriend's family almost died of CO2 exposure early Sunday morning.

Weird Al Yankovic's parents died from a CO2 leak in their house roughly ten years ago or so.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

shock.wav posted:

This is a recurring theme in House.

Dr. House, on a few occasions, argues that selflessness and generosity are symptoms of a neurological condition, and such attributes can never occur naturally.

This theory pretty much built Ayn Rand's career.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Stick Insect posted:

Can't talk about odd eating habits without mentioning pica: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29

The first picture is of a person's stomach contents, containing nails, buttons, small pebbles and safety pins. :stare:

In some cases, people eat odd stuff like clay or soil because it actually contained a nutrient they needed. It's also common during pregnancy.

I've taken friends to see that, it's at the Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri (along with other weird poo poo). They are always fascinated. It's an awesome museum, if you're ever in the KC area (St. Jo is about 45 minutes north from the airport; it's a ways if you're, in say Overland Park, but worth it). Another neat artifacts is of a TV hollowed out and stuffed full of scraps of paper that somebody would write their thoughts out. And various art works by schizophrenics.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

RNG posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuol_Sleng_Genocide_Museum

A high school turned into a dungeon by the Khmer Rouge turned into a genocide museum. Of the ~17k-20k people to pass through it, only 12 survived. Like the Nazis, they killed the remaining prisoners hours before the regime fell. :(

Are you KIDDING me? I literally came here to post this, lol.

When interviewed right before he died, Pol Pot was asked about Tuol Sleng. He basically said something like, "Tuol Sleng. Tuol Sleng. Tuol Sleng. Why do people keep asking me about this?" in a real whiny voice, much like "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!" Fucker.

Henry Kissinger knew how evil Pol Pot was and knew what was happening but did nothing because Pot was anti-Vietnamese.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Behavioral Sink

What happens when you take rats and set up the grandest utopia that the rats could ever hope for---no worries about food, water, predators, weather and room? Total chaos and destruction, with a dash of a lot of the population not caring about anything anymore except to groom themselves.:

quote:

Many [female rats] were unable to carry pregnancy to full term or to survive delivery of their litters if they did. An even greater number, after successfully giving birth, fell short in their maternal functions. Among the males the behavior disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic overactivity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep. The social organization of the animals showed equal disruption. [...] The common source of these disturbances became most dramatically apparent in the populations of our first series of three experiments, in which we observed the development of what we called a behavioral sink. The animals would crowd together in greatest number in one of the four interconnecting pens in which the colony was maintained. As many as 60 of the 80 rats in each experimental population would assemble in one pen during periods of feeding. Individual rats would rarely eat except in the company of other rats. As a result extreme population densities developed in the pen adopted for eating, leaving the others with sparse populations.[...] In the experiments in which the behavioral sink developed, infant mortality ran as high as 96 percent among the most disoriented groups in the population.

quote:

No small part of this ugly barbarization has been due to sheer physical congestion: a diagnosis now partly confirmed with scientific experiments with rats – for when they are placed in equally congested quarters, they exhibit the same symptoms of stress, alienation, hostility, sexual perversion, parental incompetence, and rabid violence that we now find in the Megalopolis.

Here's a larger article about the experiment

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

A bit of a pickle, what.

Well they don't want to make a fuss.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Meet Clive Wearing

He has one of the worst cases of amnesia ever recorded after a Herpes complex virus attacked his brain in 1985.

quote:

Wearing developed a profound case of total amnesia as a result of his illness. Because of damage to the hippocampus, an area required to transfer memories from short-term to long-term memory, he is completely unable to form lasting new memories – his memory only lasts between 7 and 30 seconds.[2] He spends every day 'waking up' every 20 seconds, 'restarting' his consciousness once the time span of his short term memory elapses (about 30 seconds). He remembers little of his life before 1985; he knows, for example, that he has children from an earlier marriage, but cannot remember their names. His love for his second wife Deborah, whom he married the year prior to his illness, is undiminished. He greets her joyously every time they meet, either believing he has not seen her in years or that they have never met before, even though she may have just left the room to fetch a glass of water. When he goes out dining with his wife, he can remember the name of the food (e.g. chicken); however he cannot link it with taste, as he forgets what food he is eating by the time it has reached his mouth.

For more information here is a New Yorker piece about him

And a clip from a BBC documentary on him called Man Without a Memory. There's also an ITV documentary that can be found called The Man With a 7 Second Memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwigmktix2Y

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

He knows she's his wife, but he feels like it's the first time he met her? That doesn't really compute.

It's more that he thinks that he hasn't seen her in years instead a few seconds.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

lenoon posted:

Threads is all about my home town. Now that's depressing!

Will get on the effort post at some point this weekend.

The Day After is about MY town. Sort of. I live in Kansas City, not Lawrence, KS. I thought the movie was funny.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Transistor Rhythm posted:

After learning about it a few years ago, I've become really fascinated with the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse that happened in Kansas City in 1981. We go through life just kind of accepting and assuming that structures are sound and that the people involved in designing and building buildings know what they're doing. In this case, with all of the structural engineering panache of a child building with legos for the first time, a walkway was basically hung off of the bottom of another walkway without any proper support. When loaded with people for a party, the whole works came down. Terrifying!

equals

I live here in KC and this city is terrible about its history. Unless it's about football or baseball of course (the last time the Chiefs were even in the Super Bowl was when man first walked on the moon). You would never know Disney and Hemmingway started their careers here, for instance. Or maybe I just run with stupid people.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

We need a goon to infiltrate Scientology and report back with all the poo poo that goes on. Who's the richest goon with excess time on their hands, that won't go all stockholm syndrome and actually fall for all that crap?

I went into the Kansas City Scientology Center and took their test (what a shock, I'm a terrible person who needs Scientology right away). L. Ron Hubbard busts were everywhere. I watched two hours of propaganda films before a different guy came in and wore me down until I bought the $18 book. He was a huge jerk too and was rather frightening. I had begun considering ways of escaping. I got a free six month membership. It's been expired since December. They would send these invitations to their conferences in the mail. What that consisted of was going down to the KC center and watching the real conference on TV (I never went). They haven't bothered me since because I was probably a bad actor and they knew I was faking it. That and they knew I was/am massively poor and thus have no use for me..

TLDR: I was of no help at all.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

The Endbringer posted:

Yet you sat through
?

I wanted to see everything one has to do when walking into one of those places. I didn't seem desperate enough to them to change my life, is what I mean.

I never saw it of course but in every Scientology center there is an office and, I think bedroom, set up in case L. Ron Hubbard comes back to Earth.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

The Endbringer posted:

I would be a liar if I said that I never once considered going to my own local scientology center, just to see what it was like.

I apologize if that sounded harsher than the tease I meant it to be, my friend.

EDIT:

Because I know for a fact that if I ever DO check out that ... do you call it a church? Whatever. If I ever do check out that church, I'll probably be unable to escape for hours on end as well.

Because, you know,

I regret doing it because you really shouldn't mess with crazy and they are insane.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

The arcade game "Polybius". There's no evidence this game existed at all but it's still a creepy urban legend, complete with insanity and shady Men in Black coming around to get information from the machines:.

quote:

The story tells of an unheard-of new arcade game appearing in several suburbs of Portland, Oregon in 1981, something of a rarity at the time. The game is described as proving popular to the point of addiction, with lines forming around the machines often resulting in fighting over who would play next. The urban legend describes how the machines were visited by men in black, who collected unknown data from the machines, allegedly testing responses to the game's psychoactive effects. Players supposedly suffered from a series of unpleasant side effects, including amnesia, insomnia, stress, nightmares and night terrors. The story tells of how Polybius players stopped playing video games, while one became an anti-gaming activist. The company named in most accounts of the game is Sinneslöschen.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

No, the trick is to play by sense of smell.

Unrelated: I know the Max Headroom signal intrusion has been posted before, but this article has some interesting new information on the case toward the end.

Fun Fact: At the very bottom it says "Suggested By: ESJ". That's me. Seriously.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

1938 in Television. Cool trivia I guess but nothing really creepy until you watch this video and then read the little tidbit from November of that year:

quote:

November - Due to freak atmospheric conditions, a BBC TV broadcast is received in New York City. A film camera is used to record the silent images which included the performance of a play, a cartoon, and other matter. A four-minute excerpt from this filmed recording survives and is, as of 2014, considered the only surviving example of a pre-war BBC television transmission.

The video itself is rather creepy looking, as all early TV looked. But even more so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kk0ytK_nqA

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

And a photo of the poor bastard! NMS!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Imagined posted:

I wonder if he's a big fan of Titannica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNApZRy3wk

"He looks like a wet cigar!"

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Don't forget that contractures are definitely a thing. I am doubtful that this girl tries to escape from bed on her own but honestly finding someone like her with their legs drawn up is pretty much expected. Muscles don't like it when they're not being used.

And also yeah I'm not seeing anything like tissue necrosis in any of those photos. Trust me, if tissue is dead it's super obvious. I still think its wrong to keep her "alive" but she looks like she's not doing too bad just from her outward condition. Of course her backside is where all the pooling and ulceration would begin so that's not saying much.

I wonder if this is what's happening to Bobbi Kristina Brown. That whole situation is unnerving as well. From the latest she's wasting away at a hospice while the two sides of her family battle each other.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

1988 Nevada PEPCON Diaster

A factory that manufactured rocket fuel (and had excess rocket fuel since the space shuttle program was stopped for a bit after Challenger) exploded. I was only six but my parents remember it. To this day causes are not fully known as the government has not released info or botched up the investigation.

quote:

There are several theories about what caused the fire and explosions.[8] The Clark County (Nevada) Fire Department (CCFD) did not issue a formal report but did issue a 2 page press release on July 15, 1988 describing what it believed to be the cause of the fire and this and other CCFD information was incorporated into a report by the United States Fire Administration (USFA).

The US Department of Labor (USDOL) working with the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) issued a lengthy report on the accident which discounted the cause and origin findings of the CCFD. USDOL noted that the Arson Division of CCFD maintained control over the site for several weeks and that DOSH and PEPCON investigating teams were not permitted entry into the facility until 13 days after the event.[8] The first significant DOSH inspection did not occur until 33 days after the fire.[8] At that time, the damaged areas had been disturbed and key evidence had been either displaced or removed from the site.[8]

A nearby marshmallow factory (Kidd & Co) was vaporized in one of the shock waves, as can be seen in the video at the bottom. They would end up rebuilding it and I took a field trip there a few years later.

Lucky that more people weren't killed.

quote:

About 75 escaped successfully, but two were killed in the last two larger explosions: Roy Westerfield, PEPCON's Controller who stayed behind to call the Clark County Fire Department; and Bruce Halker, the Plant Manager who stood near his car when the first major detonation occurred. Employees at Kidd & Co., the nearby marshmallow factory, heard the explosion and also evacuated.

quote:

The damage reached a radius of up to 10 miles (16 km), including shattered windows, doors blown off their hinges, cracked windows and injuries from flying glass and debris. At McCarran International Airport, seven miles (11 km) away in Las Vegas, windows were cracked and doors were pushed open. The shock wave buffeted a Boeing 737 on final approach.

An investigation estimated that the larger explosion was equivalent to about one kiloton of TNT, approximately the same yield of a tactical nuclear weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVpzjxRjPk

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

A situation like that has to be so surreal and just baffling, I'm not sure the human brain even has time to process poo poo like that. Like, she's about to fall through and she's clinging to the edge, but there's no way it would even occur to me in that moment that I was in mortal danger. Then a second later she's in there I assume being all ground up in the machinery and its all over with. Life is bullshit man.

Meanwhile Stephen King rushes to his computer to churn out another novel...

I remember a segment on Rescue 911 (the show hosted by William Shatner) of a toddler who got his sweatpants leg caught at the top of the escalator.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Quite a few pages back there was talk about the men in black installing one-off arcade machines in the Portand, Oregon area in the 80's that were then taken down almost immediately and never heard from again.

Ernest Cline just published another novel (Armada) that deals with exactly this. Except it's rather dumb.

Polybius

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

JMBosch posted:

Always a crapshoot with the American healthcare system:

There was talk from various people about being worried that the couple's decisions were influenced by less-than-mainstream Christianity. But besides the street preacher friend of theirs, the husband's desire to have more children, something they took her off medication to do, was definitely tinted by his religious belief that god wanted him to "go forth and multiply," which very likely pushed her to have another kid she didn't want.

I think they joined the Quiverfill movement, the same one the Duggars are.

pookel posted:

As apology for starting the shortness derail, I offer a dwarfism-related creepy story:

The Ovitz family of performing dwarfs was the largest family group to survive Auschwitz, as a result of Dr. Mengele giving them special treatment to ensure they would stay alive. However, they did not escape his medical experiments:

http://www.thehumanmarvels.com/the-ovitz-family-nazi-experiments/

And a longer story on them from the Guardian, which corrects some factual discrepancies in the family's published accounts: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/23/the-dwarves-of-auschwitz

When filming Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in Germany they had a hard time finding enough dwarves to play the Oompa-Loompas because most of them had been killed in the concentration camps.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mengele is the main example I've given in the past to the (few) non-religious people I know who actually believe in some sort of karma system

Pol Pot, leader of the Cambodian Khmer Rouge, died peacefully in his sleep in 1998, right before he was going to go to trial by an international tribunal. An article about Security Prison 21 (or S-21), now known as the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. Out of at least 17,000 prisoners only 12 survived in a span of only four years (1975 to 1979).

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Madkal posted:

I remember reading an article a few years ago about Pot's final days. The article went into a bit of detail about how, even though most of the country knew what he did and what an evil bastard he was, there were still those that thought he was a good leader and looked after him and treated him well.
You see the same stuff going on in the Balkans where there are people that should probably be arrested but are living in towns and cities like some every day nobody, or worse, as some kind of war hero.

There are a large percentage of people in Russia who think that Joseph Stalin wasn't that bad. Stalin ended up having a stroke but wasn't found for quite a few hours later because he had given people instructions to not disturb him in the morning. Finally in the evening, after waiting all day, someone went in to check on him and he was on the ground besides his bed covered in stale urine, unable to talk. He died a few hours later. It is thought that he had been planning a new purge.

What with World War I (1.7 million), Stalin's rule (half a million to a million from purges and around 5-10 million from the famine caused by his policies) and World War II (roughly 20-26 million both military and civilian) it's amazing there were any Russians left.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

I bought this book after constant recommendations in this thread, and I thought it was a really good read up until he switches from describing the case to the court proceedings. He's a great writer, he knows how to set a scene without sensationalizing too much of the crime, but there was some line that made me unable to continue reading; something about how apparently Atkins (or whoever it was that tried to assassinate...I want to say Gerald Ford?) was stalking him with some other Family members. So Bugliosi apparently turns around, goes up to her face and tells her to gently caress off in a manner similar to something you'd see in the shitthatdidn'thappen.txt thread; I know it's a petty reason to disregard a perfectly good novel, but those three pages came off as unnecessary and only served to make the author look more impressive. Vince did a great job telling Manson's life story, and talking about the crime sprees while capturing the national panic that spread through those years.

Squeaky Fromme?

His book about the OJ Simpson trial was pretty good too. I've also heard good things about his massive book about the JFK assassination.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Prince Philip Movement

quote:

The Prince Philip Movement is a religious sect followed by the Kastom people around Yaohnanen village on the southern island of Tanna in Vanuatu. It is a cargo cult of the Yaohnanen tribe,[1][2] who believe that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, is a divine being.

Cargo Cults happen when poorer societies come into contact with richer ones, often during war time. The members of these societies often build their own airplanes or cargo out of whatever material is around in hopes of bringing back the real thing. I guess it's sadder than unnerving but the Prince Philip thing is taking it a step further.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Philip is probably happy that, for once, somewhere, he's more famous than Princess Diana.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Geniasis posted:

Jesus Christ, how are both sides of this argument so goddamn annoying? Does anyone have any more crazy disappearances or kidnappings? Hell, even a sleep paralysis story would be a nice change at this point.

Chimeras/Human Chimeras

quote:

In 2002, Lydia Fairchild was denied public assistance in Washington state when DNA evidence showed that she was not related to her children. A lawyer for the prosecution heard of a human chimera in New England, Karen Keegan, and suggested the possibility to the defense, who were able to show that Fairchild, too, was a chimera with two sets of DNA.

Prions. PROtein InfectION. Causes Mad Cow Disease, scabbies in sheep, Kuru the Laughing Disease, and Fatal Familial Insomnia. They can be dormant in people for decades before rapidly killing you by creating holes in your brain (spongiform encephalopathy).

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Pyrotoad posted:

Huh, only one of them seems to be getting in trouble. It reminds me of the :nms: Bulger killers. :nms: One of them's vanished out of the public eye completely as far as I can tell, the other one's been done for cocaine, possession of child porn, starting fights... He also keeps revealing his identity to people apparently.

An anonymous tipster phoned Bulger's mother with the whereabouts of Thompson and she actually went to him but not up close. She didn't do anything but was consumed with hatred. I couldn't even imagine.

Both boys denied a sexual element to it, despite evidence to the contrary, but Venables has been in prison since for child pornography and is the one who blabs about his identity. He's also been in a lot of trouble since including some other stint in prison of which he got out in 2013, and given a new identity.

The boys were so young that basically booster seats were needed at court so they could see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

eating only apples posted:

And Thompson is the one who was described as being a complete psychopath, initiating the crime and showing no remorse for anything he did. He could be anywhere.

People keep exposing Venables because he keeps blabbing about it and they get in a lot of trouble for it, I think that's why he got his second new identity, because someone exposed him on twitter.

I watched a documentary (not very good though) and the mass hysteria over this case still goes on in Liverpool. There are people there all for tracking both of them down and killing them, calling into a radio show demanding it and the DJ agreeing. One kid was beat up because it was thought he was one of the boys and a mother had to move away because she was being harassed because people thought she was the mother of one of the killers.

ETA: This article from January 2015 which says:

quote:

He was freed on parole in 2013 and given his fourth new identity since James’ murder.

Each alias is said to cost the taxpayer £250,000.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Mar 12, 2016