Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Leon Einstein posted:

You got a source on this? Not that I think you're lying, but I haven't heard this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPMBfX7D4WU&t=4040s

(If the link time doesn't carry over, cue it to 1 hour 7 minutes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Madkal posted:

I think I posted it ages ago but with the current chat about Canada and aboriginals, I figured I could post again about the staggering amount of missing native women. Most of the women disappeared from the downtown eastside in Vancouver which is quite famous for being a heavy drug use area, and an extremely poor area too. With a lot of women missing there not the police at first didn't really think much about until they found out that a bloody serial killer was using the area as his hunting ground. So that accounted for a few missing women, but there are still many others that have not been found or attributed to Pickton. This isn't only a problem in a major city like Vancouver, as there is also the highway of tears where numerous women have gone missing. I think they pinned it all on some dead serial killer now, but who knows.
Really the issues of missing aboriginal women is happening on other places throughout the country, and it is only recently that the federal government said they would look into it, only after the last government were voted out (they were also massive dipshits who didn't really care much about the plight of their less than rich citizens so that might be a reason no-one did anything about the whole mess).

Anyway, if you want to go through some data and reports, here is the RCMP report from a year or so back about missing aboriginal women.

This reminds me of the Grim Sleeper documentary I saw mentioned in this thread and watched on HBO go. Dozens of young black women found murdered in Los Angeles over the years with no real bother to investigate by the LAPD.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Haven't seen it mentioned in the thread, but I know he's been mentioned a few times for sure. Lonnie Franklin Jr. AKA The Grim Sleeper was sentenced to death on Friday. I watched the HBO documentary about him a few months back and I'm glad justice is being served for all those poor women he murdered.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

https://archive.org/stream/UnderwoodVideotapeTranscript/Underwood%20Videotape%20Transcript_djvu.txt

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

It's amazing how much control those agents have during interrogation. I remember watching a video of the interrogation of Russel Williams, the Canadian military colonel who was doing home invasions, rapes, and murders. Russel walks in there calm without fear and by the end is openly admitting everything, and the interrogator plays him perfectly.

I imagine there's some strange feelings once they finish and leave the room.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Anytime this comparative worth of an evil person kinda debate comes up I end up thinking about that Most Evil series, where a psychologist categorizes and ranks famous mass murderers of recent history against each other. I'm sure Ted Bundy and David Parker Ray were two of the max score episodes, can't remember the others though.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Forensic Files is a combination of original content and stuff from discontinued TV shows where the makers own the rights and they had the same narrator so gently caress it.

I've seen a similar thing happen with a WWII documentary series from Britain that aired stateside. It got redubbed with a new intro but the incidental music and the archival footage was the same.

Edit: Forensic Files used to have different titles and that's what was throwing me off.

Edit 2: To clarify the latter thing, the show was aired on the History Channel with the British narrator and the British title. Then it stopped getting aired. Finally it was reintroduced with a new American narrator and title but the content was the same.

This sounds like when they released BBC Planet Earth on HD DVD in the US but replaced David Attenborough with Sigourney Weaver for some reason

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Pick posted:

DNA is forensic science, do you believe in it or not?

And why on earth, if you think a modern trial with forensics is bad, would you want a return to the old system where guilt was primarily decided--genuinely--by the "hunch" of the jury, where that hunch can be strongly induced via jury selection.

I mean watch Making a Murderer and tell me our justice system isn’t like that anymore.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

The best part about dehumanizing serial killers is you’re just fooling yourself, they’re just as human as you are!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

PetraCore posted:

The problem comes from the fact that psychologically healthy humans who don't have any of those innate conditions are still able to shut down their ability their empathize with others, as long as they can classify the person they're hurting as belong to some OTHER group then the one they've got an emotional connection to.

Like the police did in several serial killer cases, since the killers were focusing on "the less dead" AKA drifers/addicts/minorities/not-straight people... (I think it was either Dahmer or Gacy who really only got their investigation started when they murdered a well-liked white boy whose family still cared about him???) I definitely agree people throwing someone else's humanity away on a whim based on tribalism and such is disgusting... and poo poo, I'm probably just as guilty. I think we have some way of suppressing the feeling of being a hypocrite most of the time to avoid cognitive dissonance or something :/

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i too encourage poor and marginalized people to get into physical altercations with government agents

in adjacent news, the relationship between the qanon estranged parent network and their legal assistance is going as you'd think

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/qanon-mom-accused-murder-man-child-custody

quote:

Petrie-Blanchard was indicted Tuesday on separate charges of kidnapping, relating to an incident in March when she allegedly abducted her twin daughters from their grandmother's home in Bowling Green, Kentucky

Holy poo poo the same place as the bowling green massacre?! This can’t be a coincidence :tinfoil:

Edit: okay this isn’t the Trump lol thread but oh well

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Dec 23, 2020

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

catgirlgenius posted:

I'm feeling quite glad I stopped giving the time of day to gore videos early on after that one of the flying brick going through that windshield. You know the one. The one where you can't see anything. The one where not knowing was scarier than anything.

Yeah I do know the one, because the sound of her husband’s anguish stuck with me for a long time.

Also a video where a woman is protesting in the Middle East and gets shot right in front of her father. The anguished cries of loved ones is never easy to hear but those two really stuck with me and made me wish I hadn’t watched the videos.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Add another positive review for Redhanded podcast. The hosts are much more bearable than the LPOTL guys and I loved hearing them call Elliot Rodger a pathetic, entitled little wanker.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Rest In Peace Aaliyah, she had some unnerving things going on in her tragically short career

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 20:16 on May 21, 2021

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I remember a short “derail” about being unnerved by tinnitus when alone in the dark got everyone involved mocked ruthlessly and chased out with torches and pitchforks

They’re strict around here

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I’m having trouble finding a specific decapitator

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Gary Ridgway’s murders started after his second marriage ended and then largely stopped when he met his third wife. He claims only three murders occurred after they got married. It’s weird but some people do seem to go dormant.

That grim sleeper guy in LA also went dormant a long time

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Sep 20, 2021

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

BrianRx posted:

Just read this after not being aware of the accident beyond "a plane disappeared near Brazil a few years ago, something something pitot tubes". I didn't realize the degree of pilot error involved. Goddamn, Bonin was a stupid rear end in a top hat. That was a really stupid mistake for a pilot with experience to make. He manually kept the aircraft in a stall nearly the whole way down. It sounds like if he had just let go of the stick, either the copilot or the plane itself would have recovered quickly.

Ugh this really sucks, like I’m with you that I wish Bonin had tried anything else but then I read this bit:

quote:

In an article in Vanity Fair, William Langewiesche noted that once the AoA was so extreme, the system rejected the data as invalid, and temporarily stopped the stall warnings, but "this led to a perverse reversal that lasted nearly to the impact; each time Bonin happened to lower the nose, rendering the angle of attack marginally less severe, the stall warning sounded again—a negative reinforcement that may have locked him into his pattern of pitching up", which increased the angle of attack and thus aggravated the stall

And listened to the recording where it sounds like he’s on edge and maybe didn’t get enough sleep? Not great excuses but add in panic and instruments confusing you.. also his wife was on board the plane as well :( fuuuuuuck

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Hey guys, I have an odd request but I’m fairly certain this is the right place to ask:

This popped up in the meme thread and I immediately knew I had seen this kid before. He’s a teenage inmate in a documentary of some sort. The teens all wear green polos and khaki pants. He’s in there for some really messed up stuff, so obviously seeing this meme’d up was a little jarring.

Anyway I can’t remember or find the video it is from, but I’ve definitely seen it before.

Edit:

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've seen it too but don't recall the documentary's name but I think he sexually assaulted other kids and the documentary didn't go into exactly what he'd done.

Yeah probably because he’s a minor I imagine they can’t be super specific, but they give you enough to draw that conclusion. My personal impression was that he had done inappropriate things at school and maybe even at home. But he was a danger to other kids and he knew it.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Feb 5, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Pogonodon posted:

Pretty sure what you're looking for is Kid Criminals.

https://youtu.be/L_PQSm0tLCE

Bingo

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

God this is devastating.. The husband of a teacher who was killed in the Uvalde shooting died of a heart attack leaving 4 kids orphaned...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/texas-shooting-joe-garcia-1.6467831

Yes that story is awful. The other really gut-wrenching ones come from the girl who survived. Not only did she live by smearing her friend's blood on herself and playing dead on top of her friend as she died, but also When she got out, a paramedic asked her if she was hurt, she told him what happened. The friend was his daughter.

https://www.revolt.tv/article/2022-05-26/171019/texas-paramedic-learns-daughter-was-victim-in-school-attack/

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 00:31 on May 31, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I still am enjoying RedHanded, though last time I brought them up I think people said they shill their merch and patreon too much but I can't really blame them, they deserve to make money :shrug:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

It sucks that the amount of time you can waste on a videogame has become a proxy measure for how fun/enjoyable it is

Sir or ma'am, are you in the right thread?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

FireWorksWell posted:

Do we count swatting?

Gee I dunno did he talk about swatting in the post you quoted??

It is weird though, I haven't really heard of swatting happening outside of gamer circles. Like most swattings have happened to streamers.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Aug 1, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I don't know if this is the right thread to be mentioning it, but a judge overturned Adnan Syed's conviction and ordered him to be released.

For those drawing a blank, he was the subject of Serial. I'm happy Adnan is out, now maybe they should keep talking to Jay who knew where the car was.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

quote:

The 4-acre Van Der Horst USA Corporation site is located in Terrell, Texas. A chromium and iron electroplating facility operated at the site from the 1950s until 2006. Plating operations generated spent kerosene, wastewater treatment sludge and chromium-contaminated wastewater. Facility operations contaminated soil, sediment and groundwater. Site investigations and long-term cleanup planning are ongoing.

Neat

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Busket Posket posted:

Miller, who was convicted of three counts of murder in 1999, requested to be killed by nitrogen hypoxia (essentially suffocation) because he’s scared of needles. After the state said they weren't ready to use the untested method, a federal judge issued a halt in the execution order.

Ahh yes, that's why we can't use the vastly more humane method of execution, it's UNTESTED. We just don't know what can go wrong with hypoxia!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

WaywardWoodwose posted:

What's up with this? I've seen maybe three or four articles with headlines saying this is the second killer targeting indigenous sex workers in Canada, but listening to enough true crime podcasts seem point to like a ton of them.
Indigenous sex workers are really common victims. I get that the cops don't count them, but drat.

I can't remember the full quote, but i heard "in America, killing a black sex worker is like killing a ghost".

Watch the Grim Sleeper HBO doc where the LAPD just decided to just assume all the young black women being murdered were all prostitutes and drug users, because that's how they convince themselves the victims brought it upon themselves and therefore they shouldn't do the bare minimum of their job description.

"Oh a black girl got shot? Well what was SHE doing?"

gently caress 'em

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Honestly the only way I would ever be okay with the death penalty is if they used the most humane method possible, which I think would be hypoxia via nitrogen or helium.

But even then I wouldn't like death sentences because we do not have a good Justice system. (I'm in the US)

But talking to pro-death penalty folks it's also pretty clear that a lot of them have zero interest in being humane. Also they wish it upon their political enemies, so that's cool and good.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jan 7, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Oh, so just the movie Her. That ended well!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Sounds like they're mistaken to me? I can't think of any, but that's almost a weird cross between Gacy (30+ victims buried in his home crawl space, Indiana not Kansas) and Dahmer (Stories of keeping detached heads at home, Wisconsin not Kansas)???

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

"Increase in disposition length for an LSU loss versus a win as a function of the pregame point spread"

:psyduck:

At first glance I didn't blow up the graph, and assumed they just check the dates of the games and the results of the games, and then look at the figured based on that.

I guess I don't understand math enough for this to make any sense to me :(

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

My actual vote is Cake, I want Cake to sing my eulogy song

I wanna burial in a short skirt and a loooooooooooooooong casket

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't want to follow the links because squeamish. Was the first guy trying to commit suicide?

Nope he wanted to remove an obstruction on a conveyer belt :psyduck:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

quote:

1.1. BACKGROUND TO THE ACCIDENT

On 26 October 1991, a radiological accident occurred in an irradiation facility in the town of Nesvizh, about 120 km from Minsk, Belarus. A variety of agricultural and medical products are sterilized at the facility by means of an internal transport system that passes them, in a controlled manner, close to an intensely radioactive Co source in a moveable rack. Following a jam in the product transport system, the operator entered the facility to clear the fault; at this point, the source is thought to have been in the safe position. However, on entering the facility the operator bypassed a number of safety features and left the controls in a position such that exposure was imminent.

At some stage, the source rack became exposed and the operator was irradiated for about 1 minute. He suddenly felt unwell and then noticed the source rack in the irradiation position. The accident was quickly reported to the authorities and the operator was taken into medical care, first in Nesvizh and Minsk, and then for specialized treatment in Moscow. It was estimated that he had received a whole body dose of 11 Gy, with localized areas of up to 20 Gy. Despite intensive medical treat-ment, he died 113 days later.

lol dude was determined

quote:

The next safety feature he would have encountered was the pressure plate in the floor, and it is difficult to envisage how he could have avoided stepping on this. Subsequent tests showed that the pressure plate was in correct working order (tested 25 times) and that it was impossible to jump over it (its position prevented a possible run-up).

Theoretically, it would be possible, but extremely difficult, to cross the pressure plate using the product transport system. This could not have been done while holding a dose rate monitor and there would have been no reason to attempt such a move because of the danger involved.

Also I am a child and giggled at this:

quote:

After about 1 minute, he developed an acute headache and pain in his joints and gonads.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Sep 20, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Wasn't the challenger disaster about the o-rings and the temperature conditions being too cold for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I know I saw a story about a guy doing this in the US a few years ago but I had no luck finding it in searches, but instead..

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dead-mans-roommates-drove-body-withdraw-money-bank-account-police-say-rcna142584

Happened in Ohio a month ago :staredog: