Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Elisa Lam had bipolar depression and serious problems with insomnia - you can read her old tumblr, it kept auto-posting for a few months after she died. You can read about her last trip under the tags "Caliblah," including the fact that she a.) was planning to go to LA, despite the early reports that LA was not on her itinerary, and b.) missed a flight and had to spend the night in an airport not long before she died, which could possibly have triggered an episode.

I spent a few hours a while back reading through her stuff. She seems like she was a sweet young woman who was fighting mental illness and finally lost.

Helena Handbasket has a new favorite as of 00:02 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
"Twilight sleep" was made up of morphine and scopolamine, this is what they used to give to women in labor. They woke up with a baby that they didn't remember having, and no memory of pain.

From the unfortunately brief Wikipedia article:.

quote:

The next thing I knew I was awake [...] and then I thought to myself "I wonder how long before I shall begin to have the baby," and while I was still wondering a nurse came in with a pillow, and on the pillow was a baby, and they said I had had it—perhaps I had—but I certainly can never prove it in a courtroom.[6]

As we've been discussing though, with scopolamine, no memory of pain does not mean no pain. Because the combination of twilight sleep and the pain of childbirth was so disorienting and overwhelming, it could bring on panic and delirium. Some of these woman had to be physically restrained by being tied at the hands and feet with lambswool restraints or put into straitjackets. Their heads might also be wrapped to keep them from injuring themselves in their thrashing.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Bridget Driscoll died in one of the first pedestrian/automobile accidents in 1896. The car was going about four miles per hour.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Rondette posted:

Loving the bog bodies....back to missing people for a second, the whole wiki page is a great read...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously

I'll call this one out specifically, the Disappearance of Maura Murray. Relatively recent, we know a fair amount about what was happening immediately prior to her disappearance, and yet she vanished 10 years ago and we don't have anything conclusive.

quote:

Maura then left Amherst, presumably via Interstate 91 north. She called to check her voice mail at 4:37 pm, the last recorded use of her cell phone. To date there is no indication she had informed anyone of her destination or evidence she had chosen one.

Some time after 7:00 pm, a Woodsville, New Hampshire, resident heard a loud thump outside of her house. Through her window she could see a black Saturn sedan up against the snowbank along Route 112, also known as Wild Ammonoosuc Road. The car pointed west on the eastbound side of the road. She telephoned the Grafton County Sheriff's Department at 7:27 pm to report the accident. At about the same time another neighbor saw the Saturn as well as someone walking around the vehicle. She witnessed a third neighbor pull up alongside the Saturn.

That neighbor, a school bus driver returning home, noticed the young woman was not bleeding but cold and shivering. He offered to telephone for help. She asked him not to call the police (one police report says "pleaded") and assured him she'd already called AAA. (AAA has no record of any such call.) Knowing there was no cell phone reception in the area, the bus driver continued home and phoned the police. His call was received by the Sheriff's Department at 7:43 pm. He was unable to see Maura's car while he made the phone call but did notice several cars pass on the road before the police arrived.

At 7:46 pm, a Haverhill police officer arrived at the scene. No one was inside or around the car. The car's windshield was cracked on the driver's side and both airbags had deployed. The car was locked. Inside and outside the car he discovered red stains that looked to be red wine. The officer found a damaged box of Franzia wine on the rear seat. In addition, he found an AAA card issued to Maura Murray, blank crash report forms, gloves, compact discs, makeup, two sets of MapQuest driving directions (one to Burlington, Vermont, another to Stowe, Vermont), Maura's favorite stuffed animal, and Not Without Peril, a book about mountain climbing in the White Mountains. Missing were Maura's debit card, credit cards, and cell phone, none of which have been located or used since her disappearance.

Explanations range from "stumbled off the road, died someplace where her body hasn't been found" to "picked up by opportunistic murderer" to "traveling in tandem with another driver in a separate vehicle who picked her up after the crash." This last one is the preference of James Renner, who has written and researched a lot about Maura, evidently - his blog is here He also pops in on this Reddit thread from 2012 about the case. I haven't read back through his archives so I can't comment on the crackpot/legit investigation ratio here. In the Reddit thread, he tells someone who theorizes that Maura was abused by her father that they "have a good read on the case."

Much like the bog people or Jack the Ripper or most of the other human things we've discussed here, which theory makes the most sense depends on how you weight the evidence. We have a lot of info in this case - like the fact that she was being investigated for credit card fraud - that could be key or could be completely unrelated.

Some nasty gently caress also released strange videos taunting her family a few years ago. (James Renner re-hosted them here.) One of the videos included a picture of a lift pass from nearby Bretton Woods ski area, dated two days after her disappearance (and many years before the videos).

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

bonestructure posted:

As for Maura, I think she had a drinking problem herself, she definitely had an unhealthy relationship with her father (though I don't agree with Renner and his hints about sexual abuse) and she had money troubles and minor legal troubles (she used the credit card of another student in her dorm to order takeout food, that's it.) She took off with a carful of booze that she was possibly drinking as she drove, she had a fender-bender on an icy, rural road, and I think she wandered off into the woods and froze to death. There's a lot of other weird, creepy poo poo around her disappearance, but I think it only becomes weird and creepy in the context that she disappeared.

I'm glad somebody else is intrigued by this case. I agree that it's hard to sort important from unimportant with Maura Murray. E.g. when I was writing that post, I saw some references to the potential significance of her "clearing out her bank account," which seems to refer to the fact that she took $280 out of an ATM and left almost nothing in her account, but she had some paychecks incoming. If I had disappeared during any random weekend in college, and payday was soon, they would have noticed that I had also "cleared out" my bank account. College kids, not usually maintaining a healthy cushion of savings.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Elisa Lam came up in this thread before, but for a repost:

quote:

You can read about her last trip under the tags "Caliblah," including the fact that she a.) was planning to go to LA, despite the early reports that LA was not on her itinerary, and b.) missed a flight and had to spend the night in an airport not long before she died, which could possibly have triggered an episode.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Imagined posted:

Fortunately he got the kind of end he deserved -- as an invalid, choked to death by his own invention.

Or so the time-travelers would have you believe. You don't want to see the timeline where he had three scientific breakthroughs.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Thank you, I couldn't remember where I had read that story before. The baby in the filing cabinet is briefly mentioned in this good recent article about the psychology of neonaticide.

quote:

Neglect played a part in another story I encountered. Christine Bernard (not her real name) was 27 and already a mother when she was charged with the murder of her newborn in France. She agreed to speak to me only by email. She told me that she had experienced what is often termed unconscious denial for the full duration of her pregnancy. “I had no symptoms,” she writes. “To give an idea of my ‘form,’ I biked with my son on the luggage rack a few hours before giving birth.”

This narrative of conscious denial is not uncommon. The amplified version of this, in women who never even become consciously aware of their pregnancy, is often known as unconscious denial. A surprising number of pregnant women—about 1 in 2,500—maintain this until birth.

Bernard only became conscious of her pregnancy when she recognized the feeling of the contractions. She rushed to a nearby toilet and gave birth alone in the late afternoon. “The baby died,” she writes. “I was in full physical and mental distress, drained of blood, and I could not call for help and did not want to.” She left the baby in the bathroom, where it was found when help later arrived.

Bernard was arrested and spent a month in a psychiatric hospital before being transferred to prison for six months to await trial. It was only at this point that medical reports suggested that her baby had probably not been healthy enough to live outside the womb without aid. She was acquitted, but her enormous guilt over her denial remains. She worries every day that she might be pregnant, and concealing it from herself again.

This whole phenomenon is totally nighmarish and bizarre. I have to admit that I have a weird preoccupation with how so many of these women can give birth unassisted and undetected. I wonder if whatever is going on psychologically with the denial helps them keep things quiet.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
On the subject of serial killers and close calls, lesser-known killer Robert Lee Yates got very close to being caught at least twice but slipped away - once he refused to give a DNA sample on grounds of being a "family man," and once they were trying to look for a guy in a white Corvette, but the officer who pulled Yates over wrote down "white Camaro."

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

From the article:

Gotta keep this natural process from happening until the big cheese is here!

Same thing happened to my grandmother when she was giving birth to my mom. The doctor was on a smoke break so they tried to get her to wait. Luckily no damage resulted.

Good thing we don't live in those unenlightened times! Now docs just hustle you into a c-section to keep their tee times.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It's more circumstantial, and alone it probably wouldn't suffice to convict. But considering his other activity, like posting on child-free reddit boards about how he wished he hadn't had a kid, and sending dick pics throughout the day to six different women, including one who was 16 (I think?) at the time, and the fact that he had specifically taken his kid out to breakfast that morning so it's not like he was unaware that he'd had him that day...it's all circumstantial and likely none of it would stand on its own, but taken together...it doesn't look good for the guy.

A really great lawyer could probably get a reasonable doubt from the jury. An average one, considering the atmosphere surrounding this kid's death...not so much. Whatever the police are keeping close to the vest, if anything, would be interesting to know.

Source: I followed his arrest closely because it's so rare for someone to get charged with murder under these circumstances, and also IAAL (though not criminal).

The prosecution on the Casey Anthony case tried to make something of her googling chloroform around when her daughter died, although I am of the school of thought that it was more of a "what is this thing" search because a friend of hers had posted a meme referencing it on MySpace and Casey only looked at it for about a minute. (The cause of death for her daughter is unknown and the evidence that Casey could produce or had produced chloroform is very flimsy, the traces of it in her trunk could easily be from cleaning supplies and the "googled chloroform 55 times" thing just plain didn't happen.) She didn't get convicted, but like you said, taken with other things, it doesn't look good for the defense.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

value-brand cereal posted:

There's a thread in GBS if anyone wants to attempt debating or discussing this specific incident there.

Jane Maria Clouson was the alleged murder victim of Edmund Pook, the son of Jane's employer. Allegedly they had been having an affair and she became pregnant as a result.

He last words, uttered to a police constable who found her, were "Oh, let me die.".

Grace Brown probably went easier than poor Jane, but she's who I thought of immediately when you posted. Here's her Wikipedia page , but you may be familiar with her story from either reading Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy or the film A Place In The Sun.

Anyway, Grace was pregnant and the father of the baby, Chester, got her to pack up all her stuff and go on a trip with him. He took her out canoeing, clubbed her on the head with a tennis racket, and pushed her into the water. She drowned. It's unclear whether she thought they were eloping, or if he was dropping her off at a home for unwed mothers. Either way he only packed a very small suitcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
The Thorazine shuffle and the Prolactin stomp. :(