Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

vuohiliitto posted:

Remember when you made bubbles as a kid there was always one that lasted way longer than the others? Now imagine that one bubble is the universe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

:stonk:

On working on the theory:

quote:

The possibility that we are living in a false vacuum has never been a cheering one to contemplate. Vacuum decay is the ultimate ecological catastrophe; in the new vacuum there are new constants of nature; after vacuum decay, not only is life as we know it impossible, so is chemistry as we know it. However, one could always draw stoic comfort from the possibility that perhaps in the course of time the new vacuum would sustain, if not life as we know it, at least some structures capable of knowing joy. This possibility has now been eliminated.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

For some reason there is a picture of the guys body inside the mat on the wikipedia page. Just looking at it, it's hard to imagine how you would either accidentally fall headfirst into a wrestling mat and end up like that, or wriggle yourself into the mat in the same way.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Even spookier, some posters don't read the post they're quoting before replying with the same wikipedia links.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Walton Simons posted:

Nope, tremor is one of the cardinal signs of PD.

Yah, the shakiness is caused by uncontrollable muscle spasms that gradually increase in frequency until there's no more time between spasms so eventually leading to complete rigidity.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I know in the past sleep paralysis became looked down on in this/previous threads but I still think they make for some of the creepiest stories and I love hearing people's accounts of them. Any details as to what the creature looked like and what exactly was happening in the dream?

I either see a black figure stood next to me or stood on the end of the bed looking down on me, or if I wake up on my side I'll see a face really close to mine. They usually dissolve away into everday objects though within about 5 seconds but it#s a lovely way to wake up.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

pookel posted:

ETA: Apparently some things are still normal in Britain that sound jaw-droppingly racist to my American ears. In particular, "Red Indian" to distinguish Native Americans from people from India. I read that in a recently published history book!

We nearly called one of our sports teams "The Redskins", imagine how crazy that would have been!

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a quality of writing out of Florida's Bay-area papers. Longform.org reprinted this Sunday, about the investigation into the murders of three Ohio women whose bodies were found in the water in 1989.

This is absolutely fantastic (and sad/depressing) for anyone who likes true crime stuff. The writing style reminds me of the book The Wire is based on. In 2014 DNA evidence proved that the guy who committed the murders also murdered another woman whose death was previously unexplained since 1990.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

InediblePenguin posted:

he didn't open her up, he put his hand up an orifice and pulled her intestines out of a pre-existing hole

do you think the pussy leads straight to the intestines, bro?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I wish it was possible to take a picture of the peripheral-vision versions of those pictures, they crack me up every time.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

An episode of Forensic Files I watched recently described the most hosed up thing I've ever heard. Watch the first 4 minutes and tell me I'm over-reacting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOwycIcqWc

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Bonster posted:

There isn't much information out yet, but Joshua Boyle, the man who was held hostage along with his wife and children by the Taliban for five years, was just arrested on a raft of nasty charges, including sexual assault, giving someone Trazadone against their will, death threats and unlawful confinement. It sounds like he wasn't very stable (or a good decision maker) before going, and snapped even further after returning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.b914846b5b02

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42548816

What amazed me was their reasoning for having children while being held hostage.

So, yeah, she's being raped and given forced abortions, they could be killed any time, but no time like the present to start having kids!

I genuinely think this guy went to join the taliban/al queda and they eventually got sick of him, sending him back on the promise they'd say they were kept hostage.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I heard hitting someone with an incest charge is much easier to prove than rape, can anyone confirm?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This is more for scandenfruede thread, but I always enjoy people who have some of the sweetest gigs online (podcast host, successful streamer, etc.) not being able to stop being assholes for one goddamn second of their lives and loving it all up.

Maybe that is unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Havana syndrome is caused by microwave based microphones cooking peoples brains as spies blast em into embassies. I have no evidence to base this on.