Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

What's up with this spotpass? Something about new tournament gear. Didn't notice anything new but there is already a shitload of items on those menus to deal with.

Yeah, I had the same question "The boutique has been updated with new items" but I have nothing new to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
It has added in some of the stuff you would get for entering tournaments. The princess peach gear, the super mushroom stuff etc.

Just their way of letting you have that stuff if they don't plan on handing it out in tournaments again I guess.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I finished 12th in America's Double Peoria 2. :toot: I had the luckiest scorecard with 4 pars in the handicap holes and 3 eagles outside.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Looks like they've added all the standard Mario stuff that was a participation prize in previous tournaments to the shop. The Callaway stuff and the Castle set are both absent, presumably because one has a real-life company label attached to it and the other is perhaps intended to be a bit more exclusive given the entry requirements for the Castle tournament.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ahh, so since I participated in every tournament thus far, there's nothing new for me to buy.

Jumpman16
Dec 1, 2002

unironic pokémon obsession

Tyson Tomko posted:

It's been said about 20,000 times, but mannnnnnnnnn I wish tournament plays could be limited to 1 to 3 or something.

Probably can't be overstated to be honest. I was lucky enough to pull at -21 on Callaway #2 on my third try ever about 10 days ago, and was pretty drat proud of myself, even moreso when I realized how much you can poopsock your way to the top.

But poopsock I did, because my early success convinced me that this tourney was easy for me, and lol. Beginner's luck, I guess...finally hit -22 last night on a 38' eagle on 18, but it had to have been my 50th time playing beyond the third hole, I don't even know. I will say that I will gravely miss this tourney :911:

As Tyson said, just randomize the wind please, that and/or the pin locations. That would seriously change everything. I think I would prefer it though if there were a running count of how many times one entered a tourney and played beyond hole #3 or whatever...imo it's not too poopsocky to restart after the first couple of holes, and just because you shank your drive on the first tee box doesn't mean you should incur an "entry". They probably won't do this though, and I guess if you think about it the time limit is their own way of making it fair.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
You'd think they'd notice when the same 2 people win every tournament over and over. I wonder how many coins they have...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Yeah that drat Castle course. I'd get to a -8 or -9 then choke on a hole and get a double bogey, making me rage quit. That F-Zero dude gets insanely high scores insanely quick too. It's been said about 20,000 times, but mannnnnnnnnn I wish tournament plays could be limited to 1 to 3 or something. I've got a feeling that guy just grinds it to the point of knowing exactly where each shot should go exactly, exactly what power/spin, and probably writes them down in a spiral bound notebook complete with angles and trajectories.

Never count out good old fashioned cheating.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
They should host a live-streamed invitational for only the top players. Let's see them under pressure.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Haha I just turned on Mario Golf for the first time in a week+ and checked tourney results. I got 35th in the USA low handicap woohoo, yet only netted 17,000 coins from it while I got like 60,000 from doing way worse in the Callaway one forever ago. There's definitely a perk to having a lovely handicap and doing stellar. Of course now my handicap is way better so that'll never happen again, still it was cool seeing a 2 digit ranking.

I think I'm FINALLY going to pull the trigger and by the DLC for this. I was trying my absolute best to wait until my birthday to see if someone would surprise me with it but I'm dying to play the DLC tourneys.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Zorblack posted:

What happened to the goon league? Now the thread is locked and no new tournaments were posted this week.

I don't want to flog a dead horse, but seriously what happened to this? No new tournaments were posted, no explanations were given, and now the thread is locked (and this all happened before the forum crash)? I know a number of people in this thread were playing weekly in it, so someone else must also be curious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If there's still goon interest, I'll start up a new goon league!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

jivjov posted:

If there's still goon interest, I'll start up a new goon league!

Count me in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do all interested parties have the DLC? I'd like to include more than just the 3 basic 18-hole courses...

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

jivjov posted:

Do all interested parties have the DLC? I'd like to include more than just the 3 basic 18-hole courses...

No DLC for this guy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in a revived tournament as well. I have all the DLC but I'm guessing not everyone will.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I have all the DLC too. (Rock Candy Mountain and Mario's Star! :swoon:)

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

jivjov posted:

I'd like it if you include the DLC! You can post two tournaments at a time right? Maybe you could put up one DLC course and one basic course each week, or something.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
No DLC but I will probably splurge to get it someday.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I've got the dlc also.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
GGA Tour 2.0 is up!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I finally just finished all of the Star challenges. I wonder how brutal the Moon ones will be. In other news, I don't think I'll ever win the 1O1P Challenge :saddowns:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

eightysixed posted:

I finally just finished all of the Star challenges. I wonder how brutal the Moon ones will be. In other news, I don't think I'll ever win the 1O1P Challenge :saddowns:

Do people actually ... win the One On One Putt??

I will have that goddamn Sky Course some day holy poo poo :negative:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
First two tournaments are up over in the GGA thread!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Holy crap, I finally beat the 9-Hole 1O1P Challenge. It must have taken me 50 tries or so. Only to find out that there is an 18-Hole 1O1P Challenge :suicide: How is that even possible?

I beat all of the Star Challenges, I guess I'll start the Moon ones now :smithicide:

Jumpman16
Dec 1, 2002

eightysixed posted:

Only to find out that there is an 18-Hole 1O1P Challenge :suicide: How is that even possible?

With mulligans. :eng101:

I didn't use any myself (and paid for it by barely trickling into the green on the 18th hole the first time I got to it, standard), but others have and I don't blame them. I will say that 1O1P made me such a better golfer, in addition to being the fastest way to unlock gear assuming you can make it past the second hole but fail by, like, the eighth to make it economical.

Is there any merit to the DLC besides goon tournies? I want to replay value the gently caress out of this game but I wouldn't want to "invest" in something that I'll have no use for weeks down the road if people tire of this game (Nintendo tournies will offer enough by way of regularity and challenge).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jumpman16 posted:

Is there any merit to the DLC besides goon tournies? I want to replay value the gently caress out of this game but I wouldn't want to "invest" in something that I'll have no use for weeks down the road if people tire of this game (Nintendo tournies will offer enough by way of regularity and challenge).

$15 gets you 4 characters and 6 18-hole courses. I think its pretty great value. And the later DLC courses are drat hard, so if you've been needing more of a challenge than you can get from the Mountain course, its totally worth it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Jumpman16 posted:

With mulligans. :eng101:

Or multiple tries.

I think I did it 9-15 times before I finally cleared it.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Or multiple tries.

I think I did it 9-15 times before I finally cleared it.

I'll admit it took me trying 5-10 times a night for a good week or two until I finally beat it. I got fringe hosed soooooooooo many times, but like others have said it was a trial by fire and I'm a much better golfer because of it. I like how Lakitu pretty well says "Yeah bro here's an 18, don't worry it's pretty much impossible so don't sweat it if you don't beat it there's probably not a prize."

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'll admit it took me trying 5-10 times a night for a good week or two until I finally beat it. I got fringe hosed soooooooooo many times, but like others have said it was a trial by fire and I'm a much better golfer because of it. I like how Lakitu pretty well says "Yeah bro here's an 18, don't worry it's pretty much impossible so don't sweat it if you don't beat it there's probably not a prize."

And the worst part is that there totally is.

I'm actually thinking of doing the One-On, One-Putt challenge many times over, if simply to improve myself.

Jumpman16
Dec 1, 2002

Tyson Tomko posted:

Same, it probably took me about the same frequency, like 25 tries. The attempts kind of blend into the ones I did for the 9-hole 1O1P so maybe it was less cause I only messed up past hole 10 like five times. But yeah, it's sappy and clichéd or whatever, but the real prize is how much better we both are at the game because of it :angel:.

1O1P is the entire game. Anyone can drive with max power hitting the impact most of the time, but short game and putting are where the strokes are really shaved off, especially when your 180-yard approaches with 15mph winds can't really afford to be imperfectly struck.

Jumpman16 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 8, 2014

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Anyone having any luck unlocking the world gear? Seems downright impossible to get every piece. I imagine almost everyone on the forum has World Gear 2 since so many flags are a red/white/blue combination. Managed to get a glove off of a South Korean and a couple pieces from Brazil and Italy but still woefully short.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So is this game dead? It is supposed to be on sale as part of a buy 1 get 1 free deal at Best Buy this weekend. I was gonna pick it up but if online is finished then it probably wouldn't be a great buy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

So is this game dead? It is supposed to be on sale as part of a buy 1 get 1 free deal at Best Buy this weekend. I was gonna pick it up but if online is finished then it probably wouldn't be a great buy.
The way the tournament system works, the online will never die as Camelot continues to upload tournaments. Which they should to next year at the very least. There are fewer entrants than there used to be, but there's always gonna be holdouts.

I dont play as much match play as I'd like but seems like there's still people playing that too for the time being.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Philosopher King posted:

I've got a goon league going over in PGS right now. I'm phone posting or I'd link you.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The tournaments still pull a fair amount of people and you can even join random private tournaments (a good deal of which appear to be Japanese). I'm not playing this as much as I used to, but it's not difficult to find a random private tournament where something like 13+ other people are up on the scoreboard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Still bashing my head against the first one-on-one-putt challenge. Made it to the 9th hole and landed mere millimeters into the fringe. I almost threw my 3DS across the room.

Time to go spend some of my 200,000 coins on mulligans.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Agreed on the game not being dead. This and Pilotwings easily, easily get the most play on my 3DS still. They switch it up tournament wise and occasionally have a longest drive or a speed round so it does a great job at always feeling fresh to me.

jivjov posted:

Still bashing my head against the first one-on-one-putt challenge. Made it to the 9th hole and landed mere millimeters into the fringe. I almost threw my 3DS across the room.

I was the fringe master for the longest time so I definitely feel your pain man. When I finally beat the first 9 of 1O1P I felt a satisfaction no video game had given me in a very long time. Stick with it and you'll eventually get it and you'll come out of it way better than you were going in.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Managed 1O1P a while ago, yet to attempt the 18 hole version. I imagine, however, that it'll still be much easier than the loving Extra Putting Practice. Good god am I poo poo at that. I've managed to unlock Endless on Drive and Approach but the Putting mocks me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Is there really any difference between playing with goons and pubbies? Is there any sort of text chat or communication?

• Locked thread