Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Waluigi is spinning eternally in the clubhouse. Need a gif of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Broke down and got the game and season pass yesterday, no regrets. Diddy's Par and Eagle is a thing of beauty.

I just made a community for turn-based golf, if you're into that sort of thing.
Game & Watch: 15-0066-1576-2567 - Match Play, 3 holes, items, wait for turn.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's a 9 hole speed golf tournament: 24-2450-9041-6477, ends midnight EST monday night.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

a clogged toilet posted:

Here's a 9 hole speed golf tournament: 24-2450-9041-6477, ends midnight EST monday night.

Speed golf is pretty sweet. I'm the fastest (by 10 seconds) for now.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Has anyone gotten a hole-in-one yet? I've gotten so many close calls, but I never managed it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Has anyone gotten a hole-in-one yet? I've gotten so many close calls, but I never managed it.
Yeah I got one on the last par 3 of the forest course. I was fortunate enough to get zero wind so its really just a matter of getting a nice shot at that point. Doubt I'll ever get the costume unlock for 3 HIOs though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm stuck in this endless loop of "oh man if I didn't put backspin on the ball it totally would've went in" and "oh man if I had put backspin on the ball it totally would've went in"

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

I actually got a hole-in-one on Hole #2 of the current Americas Point Play 1 tournament. My Mii started jumping around but I skipped the cutscene like an idiot so idk what it is, also it gave me 10 points.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

a clogged toilet posted:

Yeah I got one on the last par 3 of the forest course. I was fortunate enough to get zero wind so its really just a matter of getting a nice shot at that point. Doubt I'll ever get the costume unlock for 3 HIOs though.

I think I have that one, I can't beat the mountain course yet but I'm apparently pretty good at landing HIOs!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
If there's one character I wanna do a HIO with, it's Diddy. He basically dies already in his Eagle, how nuts would the HIO be?
Also, does the Albatross have custom animations as well? They're really rare to do considering most holes have a par of 4 or less, so I wouldn't be surprised if they used the Eagle animation.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Darksaber posted:

I think I have that one, I can't beat the mountain course yet but I'm apparently pretty good at landing HIOs!
What was it? The stats on the costumes seem kinda iffy but they are hilarious to look at.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wow I watched the guy in first just slide past me on the final hole of that speed golf tourney. He beat me by two seconds :negative:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The FYGM Cup is a 24-hour 18-hole Stroke Play tournament on Koopa Park allowing only Gold Mario and Toadette. Coins and Items on, of course. 68-9385-2010-0489

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 4, 2014

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

The FYGM Cup is a 24-hour 18-hole Stroke Play tournament on Koopa Park allowing only Gold Mario and Toadette. Coins and Items on, of course. 68-9385-2010-0489
This is the best thing.

Is the rough in this game incredibly unforgiving? It seems like the timing needs to be much closer to perfect than it did it Toadstool Tour.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Who is this Lizard jerkoff and why is he so good at Mario Golfing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I just beat him in the speed golf tournament by 4 seconds :c00lbert:

I think I'm second or third in all of the goon tournaments so maybe I'll actually win this one

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I just tried a practice round in Koopa Park.
The second I heard the music I just paused for a few minutes. Still have very fond memories of the N64 title.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I can promise you that it's not me, and that the prospect of another lizard-based goon confuses and frightens me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just managed to undercut the #1 time by 13 seconds. Y'all Super Bitch Bros got a new king to dethrone.

This game is seriously great. Online functionality is absolutely what this series needed.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

a clogged toilet posted:

What was it? The stats on the costumes seem kinda iffy but they are hilarious to look at.

I'm pretty sure it's Fire Mario.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Evil Eagle posted:

Waluigi is spinning eternally in the clubhouse. Need a gif of this.

I will help!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wheres Dry bones Nintendo, why's the stupid rabbit DLC and not it??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

I will help!

Please do Wario double fisting hamburgers too. I need it in my life.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So how are you guys liking the game? I thought the demo was ok but I was really hoping the game would be more item heavy than the 1 course I played on. Does the regular mode have items enabled? Is everyone going to be all spergy like they are in smash brothers and turn items completely off? If that is going to evolve into the standard mode I want no part of it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

So how are you guys liking the game? I thought the demo was ok but I was really hoping the game would be more item heavy than the 1 course I played on. Does the regular mode have items enabled? Is everyone going to be all spergy like they are in smash brothers and turn items completely off? If that is going to evolve into the standard mode I want no part of it.

It varies. I've played a couple tourneys with them on (including the goon one on bowser's Castle which is awesome) and some with them off. I like it a lot. It looks great and feels like a lot of content for your money.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

6 of the 10 courses default to items on in single player, and you can turn them on for the others. Most of the online tournaments seem to use them too. I don't think there's going to be any kind of rebellion against items because they did a really good job of implementing them. They all have useful and predictable effects that let you make weird shots you wouldn't be able to normally, and they're fairly distributed to every player. Most people seem to appreciate the new layer of strategy it adds to the game.

You might be surprised to hear this is the first Mario Golf to have items at all. All the older games were just straight up golf with no gimmicks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I played 11 hours of it this weekend while rune factory 4 collects dust on my shelf. If you really loved mario golf 64 and can get past the terrible layout of the modes, this is a great game with a lot of longevity

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

a clogged toilet posted:

Please do Wario double fisting hamburgers too. I need it in my life.

As you wish:

Maybe in avatar flavour?

Wario decides to give back to the community:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The only objective flaw I see with this game is that it lacks an opening cutscene detailing the misadventures of Wario and Waluigi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPlEziVgk8

Why Nintendo stopped doing these will forever remain a mystery. They were the main reason I started to love Waluigi.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anybody else having issues downloading the dlc? I don't have trouble downloading anything else to my 3DS, but every time I try to get the season pass it gets to 33-40% and then I get an error code.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

PantsBandit posted:

Anybody else having issues downloading the dlc? I don't have trouble downloading anything else to my 3DS, but every time I try to get the season pass it gets to 33-40% and then I get an error code.

This question is super obvious but do you have enough available memory? My 3DS is finally at the point where I need to start swapping stuff around (or just break down and buy a bigger card).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Knightmare posted:

This question is super obvious but do you have enough available memory? My 3DS is finally at the point where I need to start swapping stuff around (or just break down and buy a bigger card).

I can check later but I mean I just bought the thing less than a month ago. I have Fire Emblem, a couple GBA games, a couple demos and Mario Golf saved to the 3DS. Every other game is physical.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

This is actually a known bug with all of the 3DS' DLC. Some combinations of router and ISP just...don't like it (like mine!). There is no known fix, so try going somewhere with free public Wifi to download it.

If you can't do that, just keep trying and it'll probably work eventually? I haven't gotten the Mario Golf DLC to download yet but I did manage to do it for Theatrhythm eventually.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Does anyone know how to retrigger the costume challenges if you lose them? Getting 600 coins in 9 holes is hard. Club slots is even harder. I've only been able to grab one costume so far.

The most shameful Mii.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Eagle posted:

Does anyone know how to retrigger the costume challenges if you lose them? Getting 600 coins in 9 holes is hard. Club slots is even harder. I've only been able to grab one costume so far.

The most shameful Mii.

600?! I had to get 800 in 9 holes for a Goomba costume last night. I got 791.
:negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Where are the costume challenges? I've gotten the game boy clothes and some other rewards for participating in tournaments but I assume that's not what you're talking about.

Playing the game a ton more and having a blast, Mario golf best golf.

My short game has improved dramatically since I noticed that when you start putting, you have "close/medium/far" as shot options, like how you have 6 "power shots" normally. :doh: That explains everything about why sometimes I have to way overshoot the distance bar, but other times you don't want to do that and you shoot way too far (if its on close or not).

My only gripe is it feels like its going to take forever just to unlock all the courses. I've already got the seaside and mountain corses, as well as yoshi's and wiggler park, and you start with forest and peach. But for the sky island you have to beat the one on, one putt challenge? ouch. And to play in the DK or Bowser or Underwater courses, which look really neat, you have to collect like 28-35 star coins? drat. That's gonna take awhile. :smith:

And I really want Kamek and he's like 50 coins. Jeeze. Would be nice if they had a different way to progress, feels like this is gonna take forever.

I guess one of you goons who is way better at mario golf than me could unlock Bowser's course and then post a private tournament for it? That'd be really nice :)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Where are the costume challenges? I've gotten the game boy clothes and some other rewards for participating in tournaments but I assume that's not what you're talking about.

I guess one of you goons who is way better at mario golf than me could unlock Bowser's course and then post a private tournament for it? That'd be really nice :)

The costume challenges are on the left side of the club, in the Royal Park area or whatever it's called. Toad will let you know at the entrance if there's a costume challenge available.

Also, someone already posted a bowser's castle tournament. It's in the second post.

bonzibuddy's Tournament: 62-1825-3653-5659 - Browser's Castle, items on, NO GIRLS, ends 5/7

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Playing the game a ton more and having a blast, Mario golf best golf.

My short game has improved dramatically since I noticed that when you start putting, you have "close/medium/far" as shot options, like how you have 6 "power shots" normally. :doh: That explains everything about why sometimes I have to way overshoot the distance bar, but other times you don't want to do that and you shoot way too far (if its on close or not).

My only gripe is it feels like its going to take forever just to unlock all the courses. I've already got the seaside and mountain corses, as well as yoshi's and wiggler park, and you start with forest and peach. But for the sky island you have to beat the one on, one putt challenge? ouch. And to play in the DK or Bowser or Underwater courses, which look really neat, you have to collect like 28-35 star coins? drat. That's gonna take awhile. :smith:

And I really want Kamek and he's like 50 coins. Jeeze. Would be nice if they had a different way to progress, feels like this is gonna take forever.

There's already a Bowser tourney going on, second post has all current goon tournaments listed.

bonzibuddy's Tournament: 62-1825-3653-5659 - Browser's Castle, items on, NO GIRLS, ends 5/7

Edit: beaten almost word for word.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah the challenges don't really take that long, I powered through 40 of them to get Toad and I think it only took a couple of hours. Some of the ring/star coin challenges are really difficult though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How reflective of the final game is the demo? I really love Hot Shots Golf because it isn't as serious as Tiger Woods, but doesn't go too far off the spectrum beyond power shots. The items seem like they would bother me depending on what they do.

• Locked thread