Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Looks like Jolly Roger is no long gonna be at any CHIKARA shows. He changed his Twitter handle to JRo_Wrestling (used to have CHIKARA in that name). He also tweeted a few angry tweets about knowing your worth and not accepting less.

So, I assume Quack lowballed him or something and he pretty much quit. I wonder if there was gonna be any payoff to the Jigsaw/Jolly Roger storyline? The good news is Kimber Lee is sticking around, so that makes me happy.

It's also possible that Quack gave him the "creative has nothing for you" treatment, like he did with Smash Bros., Akuma, Donst and Dunkerton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gavok posted:

Jacobs got smoothly written out in a way that lets him return later down the line if he wants.

Jacobs doesn't wrestle under a contract with ROH as far as I know. It's how he was able to show up on RAW a month or so back.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Angular Landbury posted:

Jacobs doesn't wrestle under a contract with ROH as far as I know. It's how he was able to show up on RAW a month or so back.

Aren't there two tiers to ROH contracts? There's the one that folks like the Bucks and Styles have that let them work elsewhere and then the exclusives that have locked up Cole, reDRagon, Lethal and so on.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

Aren't there two tiers to ROH contracts? There's the one that folks like the Bucks and Styles have that let them work elsewhere and then the exclusives that have locked up Cole, reDRagon, Lethal and so on.

Im sure there are ROH wrestlers without contracts at all

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Im sure there are ROH wrestlers without contracts at all

Roddy being one of them.

There are two tiers of ROH contracts. One allows for talent to work elsewhere, the other is more exclusive and reduces the number of dates outside of the company to 3a month and places restrictions on where they can work those dates.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hey so I've got a ton of Chikara shows collecting dust and I figured I'd offer them here before going to ebay or something. I'll have a full list later tonight if anyone is interested.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hey so I've got a ton of Chikara shows collecting dust and I figured I'd offer them here before going to ebay or something. I'll have a full list later tonight if anyone is interested.
You know, a DVD trades amongst Goons wouldn't even be a bad idea. Trade 2-3 DVDs to a goon, get 2-3 DVDs from goons. I have a lot of wrestling DVDs I'm sure most goons have never seen, as well as a whole lot of footage from Mountain State Wrestling no one's ever seen (Like a MSW/Juggalo wrestling crossover that's at the office somewhere)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chikara is doing their own #RAWlternative thing tonight. 3 hours of stuff.

Yesterday was the season premiere. I couldn't make it because I was seeing Book of Mormon (which was rad), but here's the important stuff that happened:

- Nokken destroyed Ophidian and now has 3 points towards a title shot.
- Looks like they're going to split up the Colony XTREME Force.
- Hallowicked and Frightmare have awesome, new heel masks.
- Bakabella is still being an rear end in a top hat to Oleg the Usurper.
- Kevin Condron faked receiving a low blow to get Eddie Kingston DQ'd. Eddie loses his future title shot.
- Icarus beat Chuck Taylor in a match where both sides cheated at each other an awful lot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The chikara event was awesome.

Oleg gave me a Funyun and challenged me to a fight to the death since I wouldn't buy one of his shirts (his shirts suck)

A little kid kept shouting "one in one out" mimicking Bryce during the Batiri match, which eventually turned into the crowd chanting ONE IN, ONE OUT

My buddy gave Eddie Kingston a chair.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I'm doing a live podcast with PWPonderings at 10 PM talking about the CHIKARA show, and the Royal Rumble too probably.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Free Chikara wrestling going on here for the next couple hours: http://chikaraprowrestling.com/

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

So is the player supposed to be a tiny box in the corner of the screen?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

So is the player supposed to be a tiny box in the corner of the screen?

You can make it full screen and its fine that way, but the tiny screen is weird. My guess is they screwed up but didnt want to delay it any longer.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Sockser posted:

The chikara event was awesome.

Oleg gave me a Funyun and challenged me to a fight to the death since I wouldn't buy one of his shirts (his shirts suck)

A little kid kept shouting "one in one out" mimicking Bryce during the Batiri match, which eventually turned into the crowd chanting ONE IN, ONE OUT

My buddy gave Eddie Kingston a chair.

Sidney Bakabella also made Mr Touchdown inflate his football fully before spiking it. The Wrecking Crew/Team Throwbacks 5 on 5 was an awesome start and that crowd LOVED Kimber Lee.

There was also a group of fans with an Ecuadorian flag that rose for Juan Francisco de Coronado's entrance.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 27, 2015

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Watching the stream, it's weird watching Rockstar Spud decide to sell his balls after being crotched on the rope then hit with a german suplex.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Sidney Bakabella also made Mr Touchdown inflate his football fully before spiking it. The Wrecking Crew/Team Throwbacks 5 on 5 was an awesome start and that crowd LOVED Kimber Lee.

There was also a group of fans with an Ecuadorian flag that rose for Juan Francisco de Coronado's entrance.

An Ecuadorian flag and a bunch of bananas

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sockser posted:

An Ecuadorian flag and a bunch of bananas

I know one of the dudes in that group

He said they were trying to get Juan to sign the flag and bananas during intermission, but a friend noticed the fruit was from Guatemala, not Ecuador, so Juan hucked them across the room

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LobsterMobster posted:

He said they were trying to get Juan to sign the flag and bananas during intermission, but a friend noticed the fruit was from Guatemala, not Ecuador, so Juan hucked them across the room

I'm glad that with all the nonsense going on in WWE, I can still be reminded about how much I love pro wrestling.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

LobsterMobster posted:

I saw him huck the bananas and had no idea why, that clears that up.

Also BOY did the crowd love Chuck Taylor telling that little kid to shut up.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

TotalHell posted:

I saw him huck the bananas and had no idea why, that clears that up.

Also BOY did the crowd love Chuck Taylor telling that little kid to shut up.

Vintage Chuck Taylor

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Chuck Taylor is cool and good and should be world champ

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

Chuck Taylor is cool and good and should be world champ

Agreed. I think I've mentioned before the awesome thin he did that has me as a fan for life, but barring all that he's also a great dude.

Is anyone going to NPWD tomorrow?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I went back and watched Chikara's Three Fisted Tales all the way to the end of Reality is Relative. The BDK angle was so well done, especially the Tag-Team championship.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SirDippingSauce posted:

Agreed. I think I've mentioned before the awesome thin he did that has me as a fan for life, but barring all that he's also a great dude.

Is anyone going to NPWD tomorrow?

I love Chuckie T and I would like to hear your story.

I still think him and Excalibur should be the new commentary team for LU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I was going to go to NPWD but plans fell through.

Man, the show is so... there this year. The first year it was a super-long exhibition of different promotions that acted as a stealth launching of the Wrestling Is spinoffs. The second year was the culmination of the Death of Chikara angle. This one is just a Wrestling is Fun show, basically.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gavok posted:

I was going to go to NPWD but plans fell through.

Man, the show is so... there this year. The first year it was a super-long exhibition of different promotions that acted as a stealth launching of the Wrestling Is spinoffs. The second year was the culmination of the Death of Chikara angle. This one is just a Wrestling is Fun show, basically.

A WIF! show with points in play. Wins in one-on-one and tag matches will count toward Grand Championship or Campeonatos de Parejas contendership.

Reposting in this thread, here's the lineup for the show tomorrow--

"Smooth Sailin'" Ashley Remington vs Drew Gulak
N_R_G (Hype Rockwell & Race Jaxon) vs Flying Francis (Matt Novak & Branden O'Connor)
Fire Ant vs Juan Francisco de Coronado
Blaster McMassive vs "Mr. Touchdown" Mark Angelosetti
Princess KimberLee vs Jenny Rose
Old Fashioned (Jervis Cottonbelly & Marion Fontaine) vs Los Ice Creams
Shynron vs Max Smashmaster
The Osirian Portal (Amasis & Ophidian) vs two of The Bloc Party

If the Portal wins their match, they'll have three points and will be able to challenge the Devastation Corporation for the belts.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The original was also plagued with promotion politics, which is essentially why last year took individual wrestler applications, and this year is pretty much entirely in-house within the WiF!/CHIKARA family. Great idea on paper, perhaps unrealistic to continue in execution .

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Its not much of a show, but I am pumped to see Jenny Rose in CHIKARA. I think Remington vs Gulak could be really good. Fire Ant vs JFDC could be the sleeper hit of the card though.

At the end of the day, its a free show to attend, so there is very little I can complain about it. I do wish a real NPWD could happen again though like in 2012. That was a really fun day of wrestling.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

I am super sad that my plans to head out to NPWD fell through today.

Chuck Taylor story time. The 2nd indy wrestling event I'd ever been to in my life was the first EVOLVE show in Rahway, where Taylor won, and novelty of a wrestler being able to hear what I was saying (in this case, "Chuck, you're the man" and he responds with "I know."), I was just super impressed. After the show, I head to the merchandise table, and ask if he's selling autographs like whomever else he was tabling with. He said he was actually outof glossies and would have to wait till some unspecified time when he could head back home to Kentucky to get more. I wasn't sure when/if I'd be able to attend any other shows, so I wrote down my address on a slip of paper, handed him 8 bucks to cover a glossy and shipping, and that was that.

Long story short, over the course of about a year, I kept running into him at shows, and he continued to not have any glossies in stock. He remembered me each time though, and at one point showed me that he had a new wallet after his old one had gotten stolen but he'd still managed to hold on to the slip of paper with my address on it! Finally, about a year and a half later, he has a stack of Dragon gate glossies, hands me one signed and then gives me "an apology shot glass"-- the Hand Grenade shot glasses he was selling at the time. He is also my girlfriend's first wrestler crush since HHH in high school and he has happily recorded happy valentine's day and birthday greetings for her. Like, he has seriously gone above and beyond to keep a fan happy and that's how I'm a Chuck-T fan for life.

At a Wrestling is Cool event, I gave him a thank you bottle of Jim beam since he was cool enough to a)come wrestle in a warehouse in NJ summer heat and b)as a bookend for the apology shot glass.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Chikara's trying something new with regards to distribution of its shows this year. They're calling it CHIKARAtopia.

From the 101 Forums--

CHIKARAoffice posted:

CHIKARMY,

As we celebrate National Pro Wrestling Day today, we begin the roll-out of CHIKARAtopia, which many of you have already noticed. We've been working hard to create a new space where video, tickets and merchandise can all be found in one place, and obtained with one account. It's got bells. It's got whistles. But it will take some time for the complete roll-out to take place, and to fine tune this massive new system until it works perfectly.

Thanks for being patient with us, and putting your faith in our team. It will take a little time and a lot of work. But we'll get this thing right, so we can provide the most seamless experience possible for all of you.

Happy National Pro Wrestling Day!

Basically, they're doing it kind of like iTunes, where you can purchase just individual matches from a show, or the whole show. Other things, like promos and in-ring segments, are listed as "Event Exclusive," meaning you'd have to buy the full event to see them.

EDIT: From what some have reported on the 101 Forums, Smart Mark Video will still be handling DVD sales, but digital distribution is being done in-house by Chikara, if I'm reading it correctly.

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 8, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So did they have a falling out with Smart Mark or something? Because they have the season premiere available through Chikaratopia, but not through SMV. Ah well. I might as well download it now that I've discovered that NPWD isn't even going to be streaming online.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If CHIKARA goes backwards through their catalog, it'd make it really easy to make custom Best-Of compilations to tell people to get. IE: I want the story of the UnStable (God knows why), okay by these matches from these shows, and here are youtube links to the promos.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Chikara's trying something new with regards to distribution of its shows this year. They're calling it CHIKARAtopia.

From the 101 Forums--

Basically, they're doing it kind of like iTunes, where you can purchase just individual matches from a show, or the whole show. Other things, like promos and in-ring segments, are listed as "Event Exclusive," meaning you'd have to buy the full event to see them.

EDIT: From what some have reported on the 101 Forums, Smart Mark Video will still be handling DVD sales, but digital distribution is being done in-house by Chikara, if I'm reading it correctly.

For the love of beans, if the forums aren't beta-testing it or something, why not make this announcement on the website too?

That aside, I sorta dig the ala carte option if you really want just one or tw matches on a show-- and if you want the promos and other stuff, well ether go to the show or get the full show!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gavok posted:

So did they have a falling out with Smart Mark or something? Because they have the season premiere available through Chikaratopia, but not through SMV. Ah well. I might as well download it now that I've discovered that NPWD isn't even going to be streaming online.

They just wanted to take it in house. CHIKARA felt SMV's failure to evolve was holding them back. The counter argument is the quality of SMV's productions and their turnaround times that will be hard to match. The in house CHIKARA team apparently doesn't have too much experience and certainly not at level of SMV.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

rovert posted:

They just wanted to take it in house. CHIKARA felt SMV's failure to evolve was holding them back. The counter argument is the quality of SMV's productions and their turnaround times that will be hard to match. The in house CHIKARA team apparently doesn't have too much experience and certainly not at level of SMV.

Yeah I'm watching New Start right now and the difference of production quality between the two is drastic. No hard cam and sound balancing is out of whack. I have no clue why they aren't running Gavin through the soundboard because capturing the ring announcements through the PA sounds like poo poo.

The new lighting rig at the arena is really nice.

EDIT: and they completely gently caress up focus and zoom on a pretty big spot in the opening match. The camera work and editing (I'm an editor by trade so this isn't uninformed bitching) has been the worst I've seen from a promotion in years.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 8, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
NPWD was awesome. Great venue and the kids I saw were really into the matches. Ashley Remington was selling captain hats at the merch table and I picked one up as soon as I found out about them. Probably my favorite thing I've bought from a Chikara show.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 9, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Don't tell me about Remington selling hats, now I'm super sad I didn't go.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Yeah, NPWD was really, really fun. On paper it looked weak, but I had a blast at this show. 9 matches including a 11 vs 11 match in the main event.

There was about 200-300 people there which was a perfect fit for that venue. We all got to sing Sexy Boy to Amasis during a "Sexiest Guy in the world" contest. Just a really fun time.

I also got to eat an apple out of the fruit basket that Remington gave to Gulak.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Quack made an announcement of this year's big gimmick. He didn't give too many details, but much like 2011 was about the 12 Large Tournament, 2015 will be about something called the Challenge of the Immortals. 10 team captains have been chosen and on Monday on Twitter, there's going to be a draft. Looking at the roster page, I guess we're getting 10 teams of 4 for whatever's going on and a couple will have to sit it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've always enjoyed Chikara multiman matches better than their singles stuff, so that's at least potentially promising. Hope they start bringing in some interesting outside talent again though.

• Locked thread