Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EISRoiRBITw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjaTJoAYrNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-xnX1l7FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jRcK-XVLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbzrTn2g0c

There are tons of Bay Area folks in CA - and why wouldn't there be between the weather, the roads, and how much of a pain in the rear end it is to have a car?

Let's talk about cool roads, events, shops, good deals on bikes, projects, meetups, how hilariously expensive rent is, getting hyphy, your awful hipster cafe racer project, etc.

So to start out: where are you, what do you ride, and what would you like someone moving here or just getting into bikes to know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm in Cupertino, and because the rent is so high, I ride a '98 CBR600. There's some great riding around here, but I'm heading to Austin this summer in search of cheaper rent and a nicer bike!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
East Bay for life.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Z3n posted:

East Bay for life.

Sure, if you like getting shot. In the south bay, you can get run over by new arrivals to the country who just got their first drivers license and Lexus SUV or Prius!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hello! I'm in santa clara (working in mountain view) and ride a sv650.

I moved here about 3 months ago and have really enjoyed the riding around here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Day Man posted:

Sure, if you like getting shot. In the south bay, you can get run over by new arrivals to the country who just got their first drivers license and Lexus SUV or Prius!

You only get shot at if you don't have the high ground. :smug:

Also there's a large part of the east bay where the only shots people are getting is botox.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ADINSX posted:

hello! I'm in santa clara (working in mountain view) and ride a sv650.

I moved here about 3 months ago and have really enjoyed the riding around here.

Who are you and why are you my clone?

I also moved here 3 months ago, work in MTV, and live in Santa Clara.

I now drive a street triple though.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

apseudonym posted:

Who are you and why are you my clone?

I also moved here 3 months ago, work in MTV, and live in Santa Clara.

I now drive a street triple though.

I have considered upgrading to a street triple :stare:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I live in SF and ride a...well...it's a motorcycle. I'm not entirely sure what you'd call it. It likes to wheelie and also takes my bicycle sometimes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I live in SF (right at the intersection of Noe Valley, Glen Park and Bernal Heights) and ride a Ninja 500.

I moved here with a really nice SV650A, but sold it shortly after moving because I wasn't comfortable in the city yet (which, duh, I just moved here.) I think I was motorcycle free for six months before grabbing my Ninja 500 in running but sketchy shape for very cheap and got her running well with hardly any work. I'm back and forth between something like a Versys or something like a Street Triple for my next bike, but I need my dogs to stop requiring surgery for a while. I want a new bike to have fuel injection, ABS, tunable suspension, etc but I still don't feel like I'm hitting the limits of my 500 to *need* something bigger & better.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012
I live in SF and own 3 bikes despite barely having room for one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I live in SF as well and I now own two bikes even though I also only have room for one.

e: oh, uh, oops. That is one low-res shot. Well, it gets the idea across anyway.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I live in SF as well and I now own two bikes even though I also only have room for one.

e: oh, uh, oops. That is one low-res shot. Well, it gets the idea across anyway.

That honda rules, lemme know if you ever think about selling it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

Toyota Sequoias are worse than Hitler.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ADINSX posted:

That honda rules, lemme know if you ever think about selling it.

I assume you mean the blue one that I bought yesterday? :iamafag: sure, will do

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Flippin' A I love Hawk GTs. I don't care if they're just worse SVs, they've gotta be one of the cleanest looking sport standards out there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AncientTV posted:

Flippin' A I love Hawk GTs. I don't care if they're just worse SVs, they've gotta be one of the cleanest looking sport standards out there.

You mean better balanced and much prettier SVs, I think. :smugdog:

e: and I guess to answer the question in the OP, yeah, I'm up for any kind of riding. I'm not super fast but I like to take twisty roads at a reasonable pace and enjoy the scenery. If there are some great views from the pullouts and unique places to eat along the way I'm totally set.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 5, 2014

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Chichevache posted:

Toyota Sequoias are worse than Hitler.

Seriously, no joke, any time I see a Toyota, I give extra distance. Often, just pulling up behind a Toyota will cause the driver to stop looking where they're going and stare into their mirrors in terror while slowing down 10 to 15 mph.

Edit: The Lexus drivers will just pull into your lane without looking.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I would also like to chime in that I would be down for a group ride.... once I get my fuel pump sorted -_-

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ADINSX posted:

I have considered upgrading to a street triple :stare:

:stare: where do you work in MTV?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

apseudonym posted:

:stare: where do you work in MTV?

A company called Skybox Imaging, software engineer in mountain view if you can imagine it what are the odds

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Live in San Jose, work in Palo Alto. Ride a 2001 honda shadow ACE.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am moving to Alameda this summer and I am looking forward to riding the roads on my ZRX. After I do some basic maintenance on it. :smith:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I assume you mean the blue one that I bought yesterday? :iamafag: sure, will do

I think you know I meant the 350 sagebrush :colbert:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Live in the Mission in SF, at least until the anti-gentrification people burn my house down. I ride a '08 Shadow, '10 Monster 796, and a '08 848 (for now). I'm out almost every weekend.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 6, 2014

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I live in SF (right at the intersection of Noe Valley, Glen Park and Bernal Heights) and ride a Ninja 500.

I, too, live on the Noe/Glen Park line and ride a Ninja (mine's a 250 though).

I just started riding about 6 months ago, and it's turned my commute from a boring but necessary slog to something I actually look forward to every day. I should have done this sooner.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Hey guys, can I play. I'm closer to SF than anything else. I live in Ukiah, work in Geyserville, and am getting my new bike next month hopefully. Last bike was an F650 Dakar that I sold to move here from AK.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

...I live in Ukiah...

If Ukiah counts I guess Santa Rosa does too. I've been riding a KLR that I'm starting to hate for about 9 months.

I think I want a standard, when will used CB1100s start popping up around here?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone else make it out yesterday evening? I was up at Alice's for dinner and it was quite pleasant.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, but I was up at Alice's on Sunday for dinner and it also was really pleasant. Blustery and cold down by San Gregorio and the way home via Half Moon Bay but great up until then.

The roads around Alice's are always fantastic -- freshly paved, pothole-free, swept clean. Is there a motorcycle club that pushes to keep them maintained so well or is it just a nice coincidence? Most twisties around here aren't anywhere near as lovely.

Also, today a guy on a white 675 waved at me as he passed by and I thought for a second it might be z3n but then I noticed he wasn't wearing an Aerostich so it couldn't have been.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The roads around Alice's are always fantastic -- freshly paved, pothole-free, swept clean.

I always think Skyline between 92 and Alice's is pretty rough when I ride it. No potholes, but really uneven pavement that bumps you around quite a bit. I know they paved the length of it two summers back, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So how do you guys deal with having a car/motorcycle in the east bay barring getting an apartment with a garage/Dedicated parking slors or selling my car?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Park it at my house? Nothing bad can come of this. I don't even know how to ride.....yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

So how do you guys deal with having a car/motorcycle in the east bay barring getting an apartment with a garage/Dedicated parking slors or selling my car?

I live in the city where parking is even worse, and I put my car on the street and move it on a regular schedule for the street cleaners, and keep my bike in a little slot in the front hall that my landlords said I could use for that purpose. My other bike is graciously taking a break at z3n's place while I try to figure out what to do with it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Get a place with a garage it rules.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I will be living on a place with a garage, however its Goverment housing and I dont plan to live in it forever since I want my sweet rear end BAH. However, finding an decent apartment with a garage that allows dogs will be a pain in the rear end

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, the garage is easier to do than the dogs - at least it certainly was in SF. Checking that 'allows dogs' box on Craigslist drops about 90% of available listings off the list. It's awful.

We got super lucky - tiny 2/1 single family house with yard, dogs, garage and workshop for under median 2BR cost, but it's not under rent control so I kind of feel like we're on borrowed time. They won't be able to resist raising the rent forever, and when they do we'll probably end up in Oakland.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, see, it's a lot harder when you have a single income. If I were married, sure, getting a house would be reasonable. Or if I had roommates but frankly I'm still rejecting the San Francisco concept that a grown-rear end adult with a real job should still live with roommates. As far as I'm concerned I was done with that when I finished college.

Back in Arizona, for a little less than I'm paying here for a 1BR with no washing machine or parking, I could have a 3-bedroom 2-bath house with a 2-car garage and a driveway and a backyard. Too bad the roads there kind of suck.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What city are looking in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

What city are looking in?

Phoenix. I used to live in Tempe.

• Locked thread