Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

No, but I was up at Alice's on Sunday for dinner and it also was really pleasant. Blustery and cold down by San Gregorio and the way home via Half Moon Bay but great up until then.

The roads around Alice's are always fantastic -- freshly paved, pothole-free, swept clean. Is there a motorcycle club that pushes to keep them maintained so well or is it just a nice coincidence? Most twisties around here aren't anywhere near as lovely.

Also, today a guy on a white 675 waved at me as he passed by and I thought for a second it might be z3n but then I noticed he wasn't wearing an Aerostich so it couldn't have been.

I'm out of town for awhile but that doesn't mean my bikes werent out rolling around :)

Hopefully under a friend of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, see, it's a lot harder when you have a single income. If I were married, sure, getting a house would be reasonable. Or if I had roommates but frankly I'm still rejecting the San Francisco concept that a grown-rear end adult with a real job should still live with roommates. As far as I'm concerned I was done with that when I finished college.

Back in Arizona, for a little less than I'm paying here for a 1BR with no washing machine or parking, I could have a 3-bedroom 2-bath house with a 2-car garage and a driveway and a backyard. Too bad the roads there kind of suck.

I sort of feel that having a roommate is just one of the sacrifices you make to live in SF. Unless you're literally a tech millionaire and don't care it is really nice having that extra money to spend on bike stuff. If I wanted to be alone I'd live in the suburbs, the city is a place to be around people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nah, I haven't bought into the kool-aid quite that much yet. I can afford to live on my own and I do; I treat it as a "well you can't afford a garage in SF" thing rather than a "you can't afford to live without roommates in SF." I'm quiet and like to be left alone when I'm at home, and almost never have friends over (I go out instead); my place is My Place. I'd go insane if I had to share the place with some random person.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kernel posted:

I sort of feel that having a roommate is just one of the sacrifices you make to live in SF.

Im going to be working in Yerba Buena Island, which is technicly under San Fransisco, therefore I should get San Fran BAH. If I did I could get a decent place in San Francisco proper. Problem is a couple years ago people where cheating the system by living in the cheap in Oakland, so the unit decided to give everyone Oakland BAH. Its still a bit of money, but its 600 LESS then SF BAH still I am planning on living in the east bay anyways. And even IF I get a roommate I will probably want to stay in East Bay.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, I haven't bought into the kool-aid quite that much yet. I can afford to live on my own and I do; I treat it as a "well you can't afford a garage in SF" thing rather than a "you can't afford to live without roommates in SF." I'm quiet and like to be left alone when I'm at home, and almost never have friends over (I go out instead); my place is My Place. I'd go insane if I had to share the place with some random person.

Nonsense it isn't kool aid, just that living alone in the city is ludicrously expensive. I am quiet and like lots of alone time. I just found a roommate who is very quiet and likes alone time as well. Neither of us have people over much. I have a room to myself and can always shut my door.

ElMaligno posted:

Im going to be working in Yerba Buena Island, which is technicly under San Fransisco, therefore I should get San Fran BAH. If I did I could get a decent place in San Francisco proper. Problem is a couple years ago people where cheating the system by living in the cheap in Oakland, so the unit decided to give everyone Oakland BAH. Its still a bit of money, but its 600 LESS then SF BAH still I am planning on living in the east bay anyways. And even IF I get a roommate I will probably want to stay in East Bay.

Honestly I'd probably live in east bay as well if it wouldn't make my already hellish commute more hellish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Newark rules. It's about equal distance from Oakland SF and San Jose.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Newark rules. It's about equal distance from Oakland SF and San Jose.

All the benefits of not living near anything with the negatives of living in Newark.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah, lower crime, less homeless and cheaper housing was really hard to get used.
Sometimes I wonder how I can deal with it.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Been living in Fremont and commuting to Santa Clara the last 3 years. Finally found a place that fits my need in San Jose.

I've got my FZ1 for street fun and commuting, but does anybody ride dirt in the Bay area? I'll only be an hour from Hollister SVRA at my new place, and I haven't gotten to take my KTM 300exc out for exercise in years. Mostly due to not owning a truck anymore, but that'll be rectified in two months or so.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone else headed out today? There's a carnival setting up in the Mission, and they've blocked off most of the neighborhood for it so off to the mountains.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

After being too busy since I bought my triple to do anything more than commuting(never again will I buy a bike before I have 3 weekends where I'll be out of town :smith:) I finally got some time to go take it out and ride 236.

Good god that road is amazing, when it said tight technical corners it wasn't joking.

On the down side the suspension on my triple is way too hard, guess that's a plus of spending the extra cash on the R, now I can go play with it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm finally going to be bringing my bike up here in a week or two. I'm of course going to hit all my old stomping grounds in East San Jose, but I'd love to hear everyone's favorite roads that I absolutely must try before returning to *shudder* SoCal. I'll probably be sticking to the South Bay, but depending how much time I get I may hit Oakland and SF as well.

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah, lower crime, less homeless and cheaper housing was really hard to get used.
Sometimes I wonder how I can deal with it.

The crime and the homeless give the place its flavor. :colbert:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I'm finally going to be bringing my bike up here in a week or two. I'm of course going to hit all my old stomping grounds in East San Jose, but I'd love to hear everyone's favorite roads that I absolutely must try before returning to *shudder* SoCal. I'll probably be sticking to the South Bay, but depending how much time I get I may hit Oakland and SF as well.

The crime and the homeless give the place its flavor. :colbert:

Your a braver man than me if you tasted them but I would agree if you said "smell".

I always see a ton of you guys enjoying the ride from woodside road to highway 1.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Your a braver man than me if you tasted them but I would agree if you said "smell".

I always see a ton of you guys enjoying the ride from woodside road to highway 1.

I worked in a psych ward as a guard last year (San Mateo) and I literally had a homeless dude with AIDS spit in my mouth. :cool:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So my DRZ broke down on the way to the Bay on Thursday (rhyming yo) and I hauled it up here yesterday. You can read more about it in the Questions thread. I'll be here for 3 weeks to a month and I'd like to take my bike to a different mechanic for a second opinion. The one in Bakersfield thought the engine had seized and while he seemed legit I still want to try someone here and see if they reach the same conclusion. My mom has a friend who recommended Slabside in Campbell. Is anyone familiar with them? I don't have any idea who I should go to for a reliable opinion. I'd prefer mechanics in the South Bay/San Jose area but I would be willing to drive a bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Total shot in the dark: I was riding along Hwy 1 between Muir Woods and Stinson Beach today, and there was a guy there doing the rnickeymouse thing with a telephoto lens taking pictures of all the bikes and cool cars going by. He took a picture of my friend and I as we rode by. He had a big cardboard sign with a URL on it but I can't remember what it was. I think it was https://www.db[something].com. Does anyone know who this is or how to find him? Google isn't turning anything up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Apparently someone balled up a bike at SF Moto a little while ago, and they just changed to a "no test rides" policy - unless you rode in on something more expensive than you're testing, or if a manager really likes you. :( Otherwise you have to buy it first, then bring it back within 45 mins if you don't like it. I totally get it, but it's still a bummer.

I really just want to get that Versys / V-Strom comparison ride in before I buy something - I think it'll be the Versys (or neither,) but I want to know for sure.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
My 2c - the versys is the much better bike. No caveats, just a better bike all around.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I live in SF, specifically around 16th and mission. I am a courier so I'm all over the city all day. If you see a long haired asian guy riding an 03 Tuono, odds are it's me. I also have a smurf blue Honda CB-1 that has a few dings on it as a backup. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend checking out Moto Shop on De Haro. I pop in pretty often since I don't have a garage.

I grew up in Cupertino, (First bike was an Aprilia RS50 that I rode up and down Hwy 9 before and after school every day for a whole year) so you'll find me on the surrounding roads there pretty often although not as much as I used to be up there (I have literally lived in a shack on a property between Page Mill and Hwy 9 on Skyline). However, if it's not in the mountains, I am almost always in a car because out of anywhere I've ever been in the world, Cupertino has the worst drivers.

You ever see an SUV make a left turn into a wall on the freeway? or what about a 911 Turbo get stuck on a median? Or what about 5 cars in a row run a stop sign because they were just following the first car? If you haven't noticed, I hate drivers in Cupertino.

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

Z3n posted:

My 2c - the versys is the much better bike. No caveats, just a better bike all around.

How do you feel about the NC700X? I'm getting ready to upgrade from my Ninja 250, and I'm looking at the V-Strom/Versys/NC700X bikes.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Can anyone recommend a place to repair bike plastics in the East Bay?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Just in from the Skyline / Hwy 9 area - not a bad day all and all, light traffic considering the weather.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just arrived at the bay area a couple days ago, man so many motorcycles filtering and I even caught a glimpse of a red ZRX. :allears:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

there is a more or less pristine Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE at Santa Clara Cycles. It caught my eye when I brought the bike in for maintenance.

2008 model, only 168 miles. Apparently some old dude bought it and barely ever rode it. Its pristine though, it must have been in a climate controlled garage. They're asking 6000 and it was tempting :p

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Anybody have an idea of how much it'll cost for labor to get a chain/sprocket set replaced on a DL650 K4? Or any recommendations for places to get it done at in the South Bay? If it's less than ~$80 I'd probably just pay to get it done to save the hassle since it took me about 6 hours the first time I did it (I'm too OCD about getting the right measurements and doing everything absolutely right).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's not going to be less than 80 bucks. But Advanced Cycle Service is a really good shop in the south bay.

Pete Carroll
Jun 28, 2014

yergacheffe posted:

Anybody have an idea of how much it'll cost for labor to get a chain/sprocket set replaced on a DL650 K4? Or any recommendations for places to get it done at in the South Bay? If it's less than ~$80 I'd probably just pay to get it done to save the hassle since it took me about 6 hours the first time I did it (I'm too OCD about getting the right measurements and doing everything absolutely right).

SportTech Cycles in San Jose were really cool and helped me out in a big way. If you're still looking check them out.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sporttech-cycles-san-jose

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone headed to Laguna Seca for WSBK next weekend? Currently trying to get out of a previously committed engagement to go.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I can get my speedometer fixed by Friday, then yep I'm definitely going to head down. Can't do Saturday but Sunday is looking good. Last year I was at the aquarium in Monterey with a friend coincidentally on the same weekend and was like "what the hell? Where did all these motorcycles come from?" then realized when I got home what I'd missed :doh:

Or maybe even if I can't get the speedometer fixed. Running without one (and without a working odometer) isn't *that* illegal, right? Everything else on the bike is working perfectly fine...

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I'm out tomorrow, but I'll be there Sunday for sure. Going to bring the the big camera down and get some practice with it before heading to Indy in August for MotoGP.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012
I'm planning to go Sunday with a few other people. It'll be my first time watching professional bike racing in person. Looking forward to it!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks like I also will be there on Sunday! Got the bike all back the way it should be.

GOON MEET

teh bux
Nov 5, 2008
My people! Los Gatos here - I'm the guy on the Blue K6 SV650S constantly dodging every loving Lexus RX

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got my motorcycle back a few days ago and man I loving love this place already. I rode part of CA-1 and I even experimented with lane splitting for a bit.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Why does nobody on a bicycle in Berkeley ever obey traffic laws ever? It's to the point where when I see a cyclist completely stop at a stop sign I notice it because it never happens ever. Most of the time they barely even slow down, if at all. They take "cars have to yield to bikes" as "The car just stopped so I can just keep going though the stop sign because they have to yield to me." If traffic is stopped at a light, they use a crosswalk. The new California "three feet" rule makes me even more pissed off because they blow right past me with a foot's worth of clearance when I'm at a stop, and I now have to break the law to get past them because they aren't far enough to the right or the lane is too narrow for me to clear that far to the left.

This is a serious question. Why are cyclists recklessly not obeying traffic laws in Berkeley so universal? I realize that car drivers will sometimes also break traffic laws. I'm not however, perpetually worried about every single car near me and the bad decisions and traffic violations that they're guaranteed to make.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you're not perpetually worried about every car around you you're doing it wrong.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

klosterdev posted:

Why are cyclists recklessly not obeying traffic laws in Berkeley so universal?

I would just replace Berkeley with everywhere. Just this morning I had some genius on a bicycle attempt to pass me on the right while I was making a right turn. That move is quite possibly one of the most annoying and suicidal moves I see bicyclists pull here in SF. At least they (usually) look both ways before blowing red lights.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Seriously if this Rukus/Grom bike gang has any members in this thread: I want in.

Pete Carroll
Jun 28, 2014

mad.radhu posted:

Seriously if this Rukus/Grom bike gang has any members in this thread: I want in.

That may be the same Grom I spotted over in Campbell.

That helmet look the same? Also I noticed that picture is in Willow Glen, so I assume I've seen you around on your bike as well. What do you ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My bike is gonna need new tires, chains and sprockets soon and I would rather have someone more experienced than me change all this poo poo. Anyone knows any goon mechanics near alameda?

• Locked thread