Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kernel
Feb 13, 2012
I live in SF and own 3 bikes despite barely having room for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, see, it's a lot harder when you have a single income. If I were married, sure, getting a house would be reasonable. Or if I had roommates but frankly I'm still rejecting the San Francisco concept that a grown-rear end adult with a real job should still live with roommates. As far as I'm concerned I was done with that when I finished college.

Back in Arizona, for a little less than I'm paying here for a 1BR with no washing machine or parking, I could have a 3-bedroom 2-bath house with a 2-car garage and a driveway and a backyard. Too bad the roads there kind of suck.

I sort of feel that having a roommate is just one of the sacrifices you make to live in SF. Unless you're literally a tech millionaire and don't care it is really nice having that extra money to spend on bike stuff. If I wanted to be alone I'd live in the suburbs, the city is a place to be around people.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, I haven't bought into the kool-aid quite that much yet. I can afford to live on my own and I do; I treat it as a "well you can't afford a garage in SF" thing rather than a "you can't afford to live without roommates in SF." I'm quiet and like to be left alone when I'm at home, and almost never have friends over (I go out instead); my place is My Place. I'd go insane if I had to share the place with some random person.

Nonsense it isn't kool aid, just that living alone in the city is ludicrously expensive. I am quiet and like lots of alone time. I just found a roommate who is very quiet and likes alone time as well. Neither of us have people over much. I have a room to myself and can always shut my door.

ElMaligno posted:

Im going to be working in Yerba Buena Island, which is technicly under San Fransisco, therefore I should get San Fran BAH. If I did I could get a decent place in San Francisco proper. Problem is a couple years ago people where cheating the system by living in the cheap in Oakland, so the unit decided to give everyone Oakland BAH. Its still a bit of money, but its 600 LESS then SF BAH still I am planning on living in the east bay anyways. And even IF I get a roommate I will probably want to stay in East Bay.

Honestly I'd probably live in east bay as well if it wouldn't make my already hellish commute more hellish.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012
I'm planning to go Sunday with a few other people. It'll be my first time watching professional bike racing in person. Looking forward to it!

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

klosterdev posted:

Why are cyclists recklessly not obeying traffic laws in Berkeley so universal?

I would just replace Berkeley with everywhere. Just this morning I had some genius on a bicycle attempt to pass me on the right while I was making a right turn. That move is quite possibly one of the most annoying and suicidal moves I see bicyclists pull here in SF. At least they (usually) look both ways before blowing red lights.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

EvilCrayon posted:

It's been a long time since I've posted. Just wanted to chime in and say if you have a european bike and you live in SF, I now work in the Parts dept at Munroe Motors. Feel free to come on by and shoot the poo poo.

Oh, I remember you were doing motorcycle courier work before. Congrats on the new job. If you're the person I think you are then we've met at Motoshop. You were riding behind me when I incompetently wheelied my KTM 690 back when Motoshop was in south city.

EvilCrayon posted:

Also does anybody need garage space in the mission? I am thinking about renting out the bottom floor of a house since I might move in with my girlfriend and so my rent money will go towards a garage. I already have on on 14th and Valencia.

I have a friend who has a few bikes and is currently seeking garage space in the mission. You might know him since he's another Motoshop regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

EvilCrayon posted:

Ahh yes, How's your KTM?

I've seen Alex a few times as well (KTM Adventure and a CBR1000?) since he works at the D-store.

You might have seen my banged up Tuono at Motoshop for a quick minute. Don't worry though, I'll be back with a vengeance soon enough.

It's still my favorite bike.

I ran into him there back when I was living in SF.

I did hear you crashed your Tuono and saw it at Motoshop (right next to the crashed RSV4 and Hawk.) I never got the full story, did you ever get it fixed? Hope you were alright.

• Locked thread