Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snorch
Jul 27, 2009
More like Cigarbucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No man they fly ancient rickety planes with an antenna wire used as a clothesline and sheep and goats inside.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

ReindeerF posted:

This is like half the developing world flag carriers in existence. For the most part it's bragging rights, but you get a few that are legit contenders on economic terms like Singapore, Qatar and Emirates.

None of these airlines are based in the developing world.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

They do fly some Russian aircraft, but they are the IL-96, Tu-204, and An-158 (which is Ukrainian), all of which have been produced in post-Soviet times (some having only entered service in the past year or two). The older Soviet aircraft are being phased out, if there are any remaining at all. Many flights are operated with wet-leased aircraft from Western countries, and a big factor in the bad safety record is difficulty with maintenance owing to the US embargo. Unlike numerous airlines, they have not been banned or restricted from flying into the EU, which suggests their flight safety is adequate.

You are a terrible troll.

Trollish how, I ask the embarrassing totalitarian groupie.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Smudgie Buggler posted:

None of these airlines are based in the developing world.

TACA is based in the developing world. So are Avianca, Copa, and TAM - all vastly preferable to Cubana.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

Trollish how, I ask the embarrassing totalitarian groupie.

Hey you're really unfunny and pretty stupid if you think PT6A is another leftist on your "antagonize with stupidity" lists.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nonsense posted:

Hey you're really unfunny and pretty stupid if you think PT6A is another leftist on your "antagonize with stupidity" lists.

I was just thinking, "wow, I really can't please anyone." In the Canada thread, I may as well be a fascist for how I'm treated, and here I'm apparently a communist stooge for speaking the truth based on reality and experience.

Would Cuba be better off without communism? That's a very difficult and nuanced question. Without doubt, they would benefit in many ways, but with insufficient control, it's too close to the US and too small to realistically allow "democracy" while still maintaining de facto sovereignty. Economically, liberalization is badly needed, and of course human rights are a major issue, but I don't think the situation would be improved if the Party simply vanished tomorrow. The problem is that there's no way to allow full political freedom in the Western Hemisphere without, in some sense, becoming an American puppet. Even Canada, starting from a position of relative strength and economic health compared to Cuba, finds itself unduly influenced by the US. It's a question with no good answer, and no matter what, it's the Cuban people who suffer.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

TheImmigrant posted:

TACA is based in the developing world. So are Avianca, Copa, and TAM - all vastly preferable to Cubana.

Notice how none of those were mentioned? The airlines that were claimed to have been from the 'developing world' were the flag-carriers of Singapore (a nation with a higher HDI than France), Qatar (with a GDP per capita of over $100k), and the United Arab Emirates (so overdeveloped it borders on the comical).

Why are you being a horrible piece of poo poo?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Mods, please close this thread until Tropico 5's release and reopen it as the "Disco Tropico: Alcoholic Womanizing Flatulence Edition" thread. Thanks.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Notice how none of those were mentioned? The airlines that were claimed to have been from the 'developing world' were the flag-carriers of Singapore (a nation with a higher HDI than France), Qatar (with a GDP per capita of over $100k), and the United Arab Emirates (so overdeveloped it borders on the comical).

Why are you being a horrible piece of poo poo?

His entitre posting persona is 'smug neoliberal economist', and he started this thread to mock libtard 'totalitarian groupies', this should not be surprising in the least.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

icantfindaname posted:

His entitre posting persona is 'smug neoliberal economist'
ITT we post like thomas friedman

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cargo cult posted:

that's milton friedman

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

cargo cult posted:

k

On my last visit, a bartender in Vedado swore to me that there are modular Starbucks and McDonald's on a cargo ship in Miami, waiting to go. I asked him if he'd work at one, and he responded with an emphatic "Pues sí." Personally, I don't look forward to seeing Havana become Coconut Grove South, but that's for selfish aesthetic reasons.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012
If they open a Starbucks in Cuba, before we know it, they'll be catering to white middle class tourists. Unlike today where...

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

Would Cuba be better off without communism? That's a very difficult and nuanced question. Without doubt, they would benefit in many ways, but with insufficient control, it's too close to the US and too small to realistically allow "democracy" while still maintaining de facto sovereignty. Economically, liberalization is badly needed, and of course human rights are a major issue, but I don't think the situation would be improved if the Party simply vanished tomorrow. The problem is that there's no way to allow full political freedom in the Western Hemisphere without, in some sense, becoming an American puppet. Even Canada, starting from a position of relative strength and economic health compared to Cuba, finds itself unduly influenced by the US. It's a question with no good answer, and no matter what, it's the Cuban people who suffer.

The revolution probably was a net good for Cubans, but certainly not the only possible way to have improved the country from the Batista era. And I find interesting your implicit assumption that increased US influence in Cuba is necessarily a bad thing for Cubans. Most Cubans would do crazy things, like weld pontoons onto a fifty-year-old car and take their chances in the Strait of Florida, to be "unduly influenced by the US".

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can you really say that's 'most Cubans' though? Unless you're talking an Irish potato famine-style diaspora I'm willing to bet that most Cubans are in still in Cuba. That implies to me a lack of willingness to cross to the States.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Cubans leave Cuba for economic opportunity, not "freedom" in 90% of all cases. Increased US influence in Cuba would, in all likelihood, leave many people in the same situation, just as people from democratic Mexico still try to cross into the US, and would probably decrease the average standard of living in the short term.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

Cubans leave Cuba for economic opportunity, not "freedom" in 90% of all cases. Increased US influence in Cuba would, in all likelihood, leave many people in the same situation, just as people from democratic Mexico still try to cross into the US, and would probably decrease the average standard of living in the short term.

That's the case for the vast majority of emigrants worldwide. Cuba is unusual in the barriers it places to travel abroad and emigration. Mexico is interesting in that it's a top destination for Cuban migrants, not necessarily a waystation en route to the US.

Do you really think unfettered US investment in Cuba would have no effect on the average Cuban?

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

In Xanadu did Qublai Qhan
a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings
And whether pigs have wings.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Can you really say that's 'most Cubans' though? Unless you're talking an Irish potato famine-style diaspora I'm willing to bet that most Cubans are in still in Cuba. That implies to me a lack of willingness to cross to the States.

This is highly fallacious. If you lock someone in a box except for twice a day when you take her out to be beaten you can't say that women's rights in boxtopia are wonderful because all citizens, including women, in boxtopia are treated equally and that, furthermore, citizens of boxtopia must be delighted to live there because when you try to remove them they literally fight to stay.

The real situation in Cuba is obviously not so extreme, I made that example only to illustrate the ridiculousness of statements along the lines of 'more cubans in cuba than in US? seems like they're doing some smart poo poo there in cuba'.

To make a more accurate comparison: consider living on an island where it's illegal to leave the island and your family may suffer harsh consequences if you choose to leave. The reality of the situation undermines what a lot of people on both sides of the issue say. 'Look at all these wonderful people who want to leave, if we just didn't have communism in Cuba, it would be a wonderful place to live with no problems whatsoever' is also pretty absurd because what the situation in Cuba is really doing is siphoning off the best and brightest cubans and allowing them to flourish in a nation with infinitely more wealth than their home would have no matter how you alter the situation. Many of those people would have jumped at the opportunity to live in a nation with vast resources regardless of how Cuba was operated, but on the other hand there's no real denying that the situation pushes some of the best citizens who could make Cuba a better place out of Cuba.

At the end of the day the question is really something along the lines of 'would you want to live in Florida if Florida wasn't in the United States of America' and the answer is pretty much 'no' unless you like being poor, hot and miserable. Also you have a King and you aren't allowed to leave Florida. Cuba isn't quite that bad, but it's still not anyplace you would actually personally choose to live if you were going to objectively look at places to be born and try to pick one where you have the best hopes of being recognized as a worthwhile human being and be able to work towards and succeed at your goals.

That's not to say 'cuba sucks, US is great', there's more than enough bullshit on that side of the coin, as well. All I'm saying is that Cuba is a lovely little island nation and who the gently caress would want to live there on its own merits. The fact that the people there don't all leave is due to the fact that we don't get to pick where we're loving born and reality is often less than ideal.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Qublai Qhan posted:

At the end of the day the question is really something along the lines of 'would you want to live in Florida' and the answer is pretty much 'no' unless you like being poor, hot and miserable.

I think this is really more accurate.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

When I was in Cuba last week, I was amazed by the variety of the local cuisine, and that tells me two things. It tells me that the citizens of Cuba have no shortage of potential entrepreneurs, and that is a good beginning to grow from. Second, it tells me that people in Cuba are just like people anywhere else on this flat earth of ours.

So what should we do about the chaos in Cuba? Well, it's easier to start with what we should not do. We should not lob a handful of cruise missiles and hope that some explosions will snap Cuba's leaders to attention. Beyond that, we need to be careful to nurture the seeds of democratic ideals. The opportunity is there, but I worry that the path to stability is so poorly marked that Cuba will have to move down it very slowly. And of course Havana needs to come to terms with its own history.

Speaking with a young student from the small Catholic community here, I asked him if there was any message that he wanted me to carry back home with me. He pondered for a second, and then smiled and said, ahim bin tal, which is a local saying that means roughly, "Fish are no respectors of human boredom, so why go angling."

I don't know what Cuba will be like a few years from now, but I do know that it will remain true to its cultural heritage, even if it looks very different from the country we see now. I know this because, through all the disorder, the people still haven't lost sight of their dreams.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
As a Cuban American, I declare this thread to be weird

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

shrike82 posted:

When I was in Cuba last week, I was amazed by the variety of the local cuisine, and that tells me two things. It tells me that the citizens of Cuba have no shortage of potential entrepreneurs, and that is a good beginning to grow from. Second, it tells me that people in Cuba are just like people anywhere else on this flat earth of ours.

So what should we do about the chaos in Cuba? Well, it's easier to start with what we should not do. We should not lob a handful of cruise missiles and hope that some explosions will snap Cuba's leaders to attention. Beyond that, we need to be careful to nurture the seeds of democratic ideals. The opportunity is there, but I worry that the path to stability is so poorly marked that Cuba will have to move down it very slowly. And of course Havana needs to come to terms with its own history.

Speaking with a young student from the small Catholic community here, I asked him if there was any message that he wanted me to carry back home with me. He pondered for a second, and then smiled and said, ahim bin tal, which is a local saying that means roughly, "Fish are no respectors of human boredom, so why go angling."

I don't know what Cuba will be like a few years from now, but I do know that it will remain true to its cultural heritage, even if it looks very different from the country we see now. I know this because, through all the disorder, the people still haven't lost sight of their dreams.

Matt Taibbi's ears perked up. Somewhere... a Friedman had been committed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I have good sources that Starbucks has, via a tunnel from Miami to Havana, constructed several Starbucks coffee shops underground. When the time is right, they will raise to the surface like capitalist penises becoming erect.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I'd bet Cubans would scoff at starbuck's poo poo water coffee. Everyone knows Cuba is the Capitol of feeding your kids coffee with tons of sugar, they know the good stuff from a young age

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

I'd bet Cubans would scoff at starbuck's poo poo water coffee. Everyone knows Cuba is the Capitol of feeding your kids coffee with tons of sugar, they know the good stuff from a young age

Same thing with Spain, but Starbucks is still huge for some reason. They have the capital to afford all the best locations, so if you're more concerned with location than coffee quality, you'll probably just hit the Starbucks. If/when Starbucks gets into Cuba it will probably do the same thing. If you want great coffee, you'll go elsewhere, but if you want to have an acceptable coffee while sitting in the Plaza in front of the cathedral, you'll have Starbucks. Ironically, this is not so different as the current situation with regards to private restaurants and state restaurants.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Interestingly when I was in Paris I noticed that McDonald's presents itself there as "Starbucks." The locations I passed by were all black/green. Darkly lit with lots of seating and free wifi signs with a focus on coffee on all their signage. Totally different design from a US one.

These companies do a lot of research to find a niche, maybe in Cuba Starbucks will find some particular food combination or product that will be a hit, whatever. It would be great if they crashed and burned like some of Wal-Mart's earlier international attempts though.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Are you Havana laugh mate? :D

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I'mma Fidel while Rome burns.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neo Rasa posted:

Interestingly when I was in Paris I noticed that McDonald's presents itself there as "Starbucks." The locations I passed by were all black/green. Darkly lit with lots of seating and free wifi signs with a focus on coffee on all their signage. Totally different design from a US one.

I've seen quite a few McDonald's in the US with that interior theme minus the heavy focus on coffee for what it's worth. They started rolling it out in 2011 and they expect to finish rolling it out in most of their US locations by like 2021 if they can keep franchisees onboard with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The coffee in Havana has three sets. "Caliente" "Muy caliente" and "Cienfuegos".

• Locked thread