Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FuzzySkinner posted:

Canada already has some fast food joints up and running in Cuba IIRC.

I've never seen one, but it's possible they're concentrated near resorts instead of in Havana.

TheImmigrant posted:

It is nickel, I checked. Moa is a shining example of Marxist environmental policies. Seriously though, Havana is like a time warp. No advertising, no chains, very little business. The first time I visited, in 2002, I never could've predicted the status quo would still be in place a dozen years later. City of several million, a handful of restaurants open. Operating a restaurant is a capitalist endeavor, after all. Result is near-malnutrition for foreign visitors.

Seriously, stop making posts that demonstrate a grasp of history and economics. You'll be Probated.

Apparently you should go back and/or educate yourself, because private restaurants are allowed, many have opened in just the past few years, and the quality of the food is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geriatric Pirate posted:

When did this happen? When I visited in 2010 it seemed like every single restaurant served almost the same food.

It was already starting by 2010, but it seems like it really exploded in 2012. The top restaurants in Havana are certainly international-standard at this point, in both food quality and service, even if they're a way from getting Cuba's first Michelin star. My personal favourites are Paladar de Mercaderes in Habana Vieja and Doctor Cafe in Miramar. There's also Ivanchefjusto on the north end of Vieja, but I only went once so I can't really say it's up there with the others in terms of consistency (the one meal I had was delicious).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rodatose posted:

Are you really trying to draw out pity for the welfare of the oppressed tourist class?

"Cuban airliners don't have first class. You can only ride coach and the cocktails are conspicuously absent of little drink umbrellas much to my umbrage"

Cubana certainly has first-class on international flights, and their economy service is better than any airline in North America, just so you know. And, while there is still a lot of poverty in Cuba, there's a certain middle class, usually based on one of the few private businesses, the black market, working for a foreign company, or family remittances, that can very much afford to go to restaurants and clubs. It's not large as a percentage of the total population, but it's not insignificant either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TheImmigrant posted:

Cubana flies rickety old Ilyushins and Tupolevs, often with Soviet livery that hasn't been changed in 30 years. They also have an abysmal safety record. But yeah, they do offer free rum-and-mango juice on the two hour flight from Mexico City.

They do fly some Russian aircraft, but they are the IL-96, Tu-204, and An-158 (which is Ukrainian), all of which have been produced in post-Soviet times (some having only entered service in the past year or two). The older Soviet aircraft are being phased out, if there are any remaining at all. Many flights are operated with wet-leased aircraft from Western countries, and a big factor in the bad safety record is difficulty with maintenance owing to the US embargo. Unlike numerous airlines, they have not been banned or restricted from flying into the EU, which suggests their flight safety is adequate.

You are a terrible troll.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Hey you're really unfunny and pretty stupid if you think PT6A is another leftist on your "antagonize with stupidity" lists.

I was just thinking, "wow, I really can't please anyone." In the Canada thread, I may as well be a fascist for how I'm treated, and here I'm apparently a communist stooge for speaking the truth based on reality and experience.

Would Cuba be better off without communism? That's a very difficult and nuanced question. Without doubt, they would benefit in many ways, but with insufficient control, it's too close to the US and too small to realistically allow "democracy" while still maintaining de facto sovereignty. Economically, liberalization is badly needed, and of course human rights are a major issue, but I don't think the situation would be improved if the Party simply vanished tomorrow. The problem is that there's no way to allow full political freedom in the Western Hemisphere without, in some sense, becoming an American puppet. Even Canada, starting from a position of relative strength and economic health compared to Cuba, finds itself unduly influenced by the US. It's a question with no good answer, and no matter what, it's the Cuban people who suffer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cubans leave Cuba for economic opportunity, not "freedom" in 90% of all cases. Increased US influence in Cuba would, in all likelihood, leave many people in the same situation, just as people from democratic Mexico still try to cross into the US, and would probably decrease the average standard of living in the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

I'd bet Cubans would scoff at starbuck's poo poo water coffee. Everyone knows Cuba is the Capitol of feeding your kids coffee with tons of sugar, they know the good stuff from a young age

Same thing with Spain, but Starbucks is still huge for some reason. They have the capital to afford all the best locations, so if you're more concerned with location than coffee quality, you'll probably just hit the Starbucks. If/when Starbucks gets into Cuba it will probably do the same thing. If you want great coffee, you'll go elsewhere, but if you want to have an acceptable coffee while sitting in the Plaza in front of the cathedral, you'll have Starbucks. Ironically, this is not so different as the current situation with regards to private restaurants and state restaurants.

• Locked thread