Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I doubt anyone on the dev team is really to blame. If EA doubled the resources they put into the game how much more money would they expect to make in sales? Probably not double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

prom candy posted:

I doubt anyone on the dev team is really to blame. If EA doubled the resources they put into the game how much more money would they expect to make in sales? Probably not double.

It's been strongly hinted at that EA pulled people from the Dev team to work on UFC, and that the NHL team didn't expect that to happen.

I think I've said this before, but the missing features thing sucks for sure - but the big kick in the balls was how EA handled it. It's probably a little much to expect EA to be all forthcoming and go "Hey guys, just a heads up we're still charging you $60 but the game is missing like 1/2 it's features!" but even when people started digging and found out about everything they still kept quiet for like a month. That's just poo poo.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have it on good authority that EASHL will be back in Next-Gen for NHL 16, as it has been in years past.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Hockles posted:

I have it on good authority that EASHL will be back in Next-Gen for NHL 16, as it has been in years past.

Close family friend?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Close family friend?

My uncle's friend works at Nintendo...

If you have followed the NHL threads the past few years, you should know who works for EA

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Once that's an official announcement, I will be pre-ordering. Long live the Killdozers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Hockles posted:

If you have followed the NHL threads the past few years, you should know who works for EA

That was a running gag I stole from the N/V NHL thread :v:

Honestly; I don't even care about EASHL. I just wish there was some way where I can easily play with friends in OTP.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hockles posted:

You should tell your friend to bring the drat thing back to PC already.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I tried online vs. after a long hiatus and drat if every player who has managed to crawl up to the top 1000 isn't so afraid of losing that they are all using Chicago and playing the exact same style that exploits the crappy mechanics of this game to max. They all use the invincibility frames of the "skill" dekes to cross the blue line, often stringing couple of those together to get all they way to the crease. New scoring move seems to be skating rear end first to crease and shooting slap shot to far side of goal. It looks completely ridiculous but seems to work way too often if they manage to not get checked. Somehow the game also lags when all other games I play are fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I tried online vs. after a long hiatus and drat if every player who has managed to crawl up to the top 1000 isn't so afraid of losing that they are all using Chicago and playing the exact same style that exploits the crappy mechanics of this game to max. They all use the invincibility frames of the "skill" dekes to cross the blue line, often stringing couple of those together to get all they way to the crease. New scoring move seems to be skating rear end first to crease and shooting slap shot to far side of goal. It looks completely ridiculous but seems to work way too often if they manage to not get checked. Somehow the game also lags when all other games I play are fine.

Positioning your player so that they run into you when they pull the dekes off works great for stopping this. You don't even have to hit them - just get in there way and let the collision physics do the rest. Works pretty much every time.

Also, just standing in front of your net and poking the puck away when they do the cheap skate backwards slapshot move also works great.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Why are any of you playing this to know this information?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Thanks I may try that if I ever get into a game that doesn't lag already on the team select menu. One thing that is bizarre is that there isn't any kind of pivoting system in this game when it's so integral part of skating both in defense and offense in real hockey. There used to be the face the puck thing but now there is nothing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Thanks I may try that if I ever get into a game that doesn't lag already on the team select menu. One thing that is bizarre is that there isn't any kind of pivoting system in this game when it's so integral part of skating both in defense and offense in real hockey. There used to be the face the puck thing but now there is nothing.

Lagging on the menu select has no impact on in-game performance. At least I haven't noticed a connection in the games I've played (and I've played too much 1v1 online versus mode :( )

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Hold L2 and let go of the left stick.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

If NHL 16 does not let you choose a position before joining an OTP lobby then I will not purchase it. It has been the bane of OTP for years that every game takes 20 loving minutes to get started because people keep dropping out before things begin or do a lovely job as D before ultimately quitting early because they'd rather be the fourth winger.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Teeter posted:

If NHL 16 does not let you choose a position before joining an OTP lobby then I will not purchase it. It has been the bane of OTP for years that every game takes 20 loving minutes to get started because people keep dropping out before things begin or do a lovely job as D before ultimately quitting early because they'd rather be the fourth winger.

Sounds like you'd just never get a game that way, as everyone picks center or wing and waits in matchmaking forever while it tries to find the people who picked defense.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Jovial Cow posted:

Hold L2 and let go of the left stick.

That works so poorly that I had forgotten it even exists.

e: Maybe it works in facing the pass when you control just one player like in bap, but online vs I don't remember the L2 vision control having any real use.

Soft Shell Crab fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 8, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I tried online vs. after a long hiatus and drat if every player who has managed to crawl up to the top 1000 isn't so afraid of losing that they are all using Chicago and playing the exact same style that exploits the crappy mechanics of this game to max.

This is the poo poo that always drove me crazy. It was always really satisfying to shut down one of these players though, at least.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

triplexpac posted:

This is the poo poo that always drove me crazy. It was always really satisfying to shut down one of these players though, at least.

Except they literally try it every possession and if you gently caress up once it's in your net.

This game is lovely garbage and will never get better. All is lost.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pleads posted:

Except they literally try it every possession and if you gently caress up once it's in your net.

Oh I know, I'm not saying it's fun playing NHL online. I'm just looking for the one vague positive, that every now and then you can beat one of the glitchy players and get a really angry message after the game.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sounds like you'd just never get a game that way, as everyone picks center or wing and waits in matchmaking forever while it tries to find the people who picked defense.

Good, gently caress them. I queue up as D because it's awesome. You get free hits on everyone in the slot and there's an art to breakout passes that makes it pretty cool. The only downside is the offensive bias that makes it a lot harder than it needs to be to break up a pass, deflect shots, or box people out. Quicker, no fuss queues would just make D even better.

I'd rather have a longer wait time as a forward and play with no D at all then have to gently caress around with two lobbies that get cancelled altogether before settling into a third lobby where people are forced to play D who don't want to. Sure the queues are quicker but it can still take 10 minutes to get a game and even when it launches they play out of position or just leave after the game starts which ruin it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Teeter posted:

Good, gently caress them. I queue up as D because it's awesome. You get free hits on everyone in the slot and there's an art to breakout passes that makes it pretty cool. The only downside is the offensive bias that makes it a lot harder than it needs to be to break up a pass, deflect shots, or box people out. Quicker, no fuss queues would just make D even better.

I'd rather have a longer wait time as a forward and play with no D at all then have to gently caress around with two lobbies that get cancelled altogether before settling into a third lobby where people are forced to play D who don't want to. Sure the queues are quicker but it can still take 10 minutes to get a game and even when it launches they play out of position or just leave after the game starts which ruin it.

I love playing D but get frustrated when the VAAAST majority of players just want to grab the puck and skate all the way from their own end to the net. That and all the puck hoggin during powerplays and O-zone possessions. Basically people online suck.

Playing any position with players that want to play as a team owns.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I like(d) playing D and smashing people and breaking up plays/dangletwats and making long breakout passes too bad every iteration of this game since `12-to-13 has destroyed my soul and will to play that position and EA's version of this game
:negative:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

JoelJoel posted:

I love playing D but get frustrated when the VAAAST majority of players just want to grab the puck and skate all the way from their own end to the net. That and all the puck hoggin during powerplays and O-zone possessions. Basically people online suck.

As a goalie in 14 that was the worst thing about getting lumped with lovely defense players; they'd pretend to be forwards, take a lovely shot, and when the puck changed possession and it was 3 on 1 I'd get blamed. :arghfist::(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

KiddieGrinder posted:

As a goalie in 14 that was the worst thing about getting lumped with lovely defense players; they'd pretend to be forwards, take a lovely shot, and when the puck changed possession and it was 3 on 1 I'd get blamed. :arghfist::(

That sounds like the most real, truest, accurate Be A Pro or Live the Life mode of all, right there...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've found playing D easier and more satisfying this year than any year previous in online versus play. Maybe I'm playing super scrubs though? I literally do the thing I wish I could do in real life: get between the player and the net, contain them and push them to a lovely area of the ice, and poke check the puck away.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Soft Shell Crab posted:

That works so poorly that I had forgotten it even exists.

e: Maybe it works in facing the pass when you control just one player like in bap, but online vs I don't remember the L2 vision control having any real use.

It's really not intuitive and I've seen players who've played for years and didn't know it, but yeah, if you hold L2 and only L2 you will orient to the puck. In VS I do this for one-timers and it works pretty well, right after you pass you hold L2 and up on the right stick and only those two inputs. Once you get that down you can start aiming the puck.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I would take a Neo/Pleads D-Pair for the rest of my life in EASHL...they're the two best I've ever played with

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Pffft Gloss and I were as good as Sergei Gonchar and Hal Gill.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

sba posted:

I would take a Neo/Pleads D-Pair for the rest of my life in EASHL...they're the two best I've ever played with

to be fair, anyone's gonna look like Bobby Orr next to bumford

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
@EAAccess
Lace up the skates! NHL 15 is now in The Vault for all members. Download from the EA Access hub.

lol poo poo's free now

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wait, what? I just bought this for $70 like two weeks ago.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

prom candy posted:

It's your own drat fault. How many times did everyone, especially me, tell you...

"Don't buy it. It's poo poo."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

EA Access is a $5 a month streaming game service, so it's not technically free.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Hockles posted:

It's your own drat fault. How many times did everyone, especially me, tell you...

I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, my expectations were really low for some reason

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

Are you in a different country/Australia? Cause that's $10 more than when it was brand new. :stare:

Hockles posted:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

THE MACHO MAN posted:

to be fair, anyone's gonna look like Bobby Orr next to bumford

That's Noted All Star Bumford, tyvm. :manning:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duke Chin posted:

Are you in a different country/Australia? Cause that's $10 more than when it was brand new. :stare:

Canada. Maybe it was only $60 though? I bought a few games at once, I know at least a couple of them were $70.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

sba posted:

;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

prom candy posted:

Canada. Maybe it was only $60 though? I bought a few games at once, I know at least a couple of them were $70.

It's on sale for $30 CDN for PS4 right now in Canada and it's still twice what i'd pay for this game. If you bought it from Walmart, see if they do a price guarantee.

• Locked thread