Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

regulargonzalez posted:

Real life is often -- in fact, usually -- more complicated than media messages. Here is a 100% true story of a guy and a girl. They were on their first date. They had similar interests in art, movies, similar outlooks on life. She was the staunchest feminist he had ever met, and not in the "gurl power!" type of feminism, but in old school, women are completely the equal of men way, the type who thought even hyphenating her last name should she get married was silly, let alone taking her husbands last name. After all, she's not his property.

Anyway, they went out on a date and had a good time. They had driven separately but he offered to drive her back to her apartment and she agreed. In the parking lot he kissed her. She kissed back, then pulled away. He looked at her. He knew that no meant no, no always means no. He pulled her to him and kissed her fiercely. He got out of the car, went over to her side, and pulled her out. He dragged her by her hair up a flight of stairs and in the landing, took off her clothes and had sex with her, this staunch feminist, this liberal true believer of women's rights and equality.

One month later they were married. She kept her last name. And they were joyously happy together until her untimely passing 7 years later.

Was she raped?

Yes, unless she started moaning "oh god yes, take me!" around the time he was pulling her out of the car.

regulargonzalez posted:

e: incidentally, I have a real life incident in my life that mirrors a bit from Louis's standup so closely that you'll think I'm plagarizing, but I swear this is true.

So I was 17 or so and worked at the mall. There was this absolutely gorgeous chick who worked at a kiosk right outside the video arcade I worked in. I'd go out and flirt with her a lot, which was easy for me because I simply thought she was out of my league. It's much easier to be cocky / confident, charming when you have no pressure because she's just too drat good looking. Anyway after weeks of chatting her up (without expecting it to go anywhere, like I said), she finally gets frustrated at me not moving forward I guess and asks when I'm going to ask her out already. I instantly segue into "well we're going out tonight right" cause I'm smooth and whatnot, but now I'm stressing.

Anyway, we end up making plans to just go over to her house -- her parents are rich and she lives in a mini mansion type of deal, so her parents are home but like in another drat wing of the house. We watch tv, she ends up stripping down and we're making out, but any time I start to make a move she gets all coy and pulls away. She leads me to another room, which is a guest bedroom type of thing, and the same thing happens again. Finally I get frustrated and ask what the deal is. She's naked, beneath me, and literally says "Why don't you just rape me". I instantly get freaked out and leave immediately.

Not only until much later did I realize that that was really what she wanted: forceful, violent sex. Which sounds bad typing it out because no means no, we all know that, except that some women have different versions of no. I had been passive the whole time but my jerk / cocky behavior at the mall had made her think I was ... well, more assertive.

I think she was embarrassed by the whole thing too because we didn't really talk after that.

So, another question. If I had had sex with her, would that have been rape?

I would say no, because she was lying under you naked literally saying "why don't you 'rape' me?" She was saying "I want to have sex with you, but I have some issue where I can't just clearly say 'I like rough, violent sex."

I think you did the right thing, though. This was a person you barely knew who was being weird about consent.

I feel like what happened pretty much makes sense for Louie and Pamela's characters, but it still makes me feel bleh, and it's gross to think of all the reddit dudes watching that thinking "yes, see it worked for Louie!!"

It may not be his job to show morally correct behavior, but he's certainly not helping women out by showing a guy wear a girl down and get her to date/gently caress him soon after sexually assaulting her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

regulargonzalez posted:

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that she is the one who proposed to him. She hasn't had an abusive childhood, she wasn't mentally warped or neurotic or damaged. Why did a staunch feminist propose to him if she had been raped, instead of immediately calling the police or at least never talking to him again?

Who the hell knows why people do what they do? If she didn't give some kind of consent, the guy raped her. You didn't give any information about how she initially reacted to all this. Maybe the second he pulled her hair, she decided she liked it and played along or maybe she felt differently after the fact. Who knows? But if she didn't consent in some way, he raped her. Period. Why would a lady marry a guy who raped her? People are complicated and messy and do bizarre, nonsensical poo poo all the time.

• Locked thread