Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jerusalem posted:

The important part of the fat speech, and the reason why he couldn't just say,"Well just lose some weight then!" was that we'd already seen Louie himself demonstrating his inability to do the same thing - he goes and has his BANG BANG meals as a celebration before finally going to the gym and getting in shape, and then when he's asked,"See you at the gym tomorrow?" replies,"Nah I can't I've got some stuff to do."

Louie's a fat guy but life is easier for him than it is for her, he doesn't face anywhere near the same level of stress or judgement or even well-intentioned but offensive kindnesses - like she tells him, as a fat girl she isn't even allowed to say she is fat or people consider her suicidal or in need of psychiatric help even though people are judging her every day of her life. His,"You're not fat" reply to her was incredibly offensive because he'd already demonstrated that he'll make a pass at absolutely anybody (his pathetic attempt to chat up Sunshine for example, or the scene where he's outside and just leering at every attractive woman who passes by) but turned her down on multiple occasions when she asked him out, even after establishing that she was a charismatic, funny person who he enjoyed being around. Him saying,"But you're not fat!" if taken at face value then indicates that there is something else about her that made him reject her advances, and they both know that isn't true. She's basically his dream woman only she isn't in the thin and fit aesthetic package that he wants, and she has every right to be pissed off at him about it.

You could have done the same story with a girl in a wheelchair and it wouldn't have had the same impact for me, because Louie needed to have a double-standard about this. Louie isn't in a wheelchair, but Louie is fat, and his rejection of a great girl because she doesn't fit an aesthetic ideal that he himself completely fails to reach is what makes the story work.

A good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

eh nvm

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Now that Community is dead, I nominate Louie to be the reigning "best show with worst thread" champ. Do I have a second?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

No Wave posted:

If morons like you keep posting this garbage, yeah, it's inevitable. Glad you were bold enough to go through with this post after your ninja edit yesterday.

And the motion carries.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This season has felt pretty mediocre so far and the fact that the thread is mostly dead aside from fat girl :goonsay: feels like a testament to that.

Wow, really? This season has elevated the show to imo the bar-none best show on tv. It's not jokey so I can see where one may not like it, but drat does he hit so many perfect notes and tones in a way no other show can approach.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Having done "celeb" interviews and transcriptions of said interviews, I know there's a bit of cleanup that goes on in the final rendering of words to text but regardless, that interview is astonishing.

It almost reads like an Onion article or something, where the child actor on a show is presented as being the smartest person in the room. Except it's not on the Onion!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Either the young Louie actor has the best Louie CK voice ever or that was some truly impressive adr work. Kept flipping back and forth between the two options in my head.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

JakeP posted:

Next his wife will be played by a Chinese man, someone will say lol thats funny and then you will say

And does Mr. Louis CK really expect me to believe that garbage men climbed through his bedroom window and banged garbage can lids?? A bridge too far, I say.

E: also, never ever watch That Obscure Object of Desire because Luis Bunuel does the exact same thing with the role of the girlfriend. True story.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 27, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Plus he stole his entire persona of being an unattractive fat schlub from John Belushi*. How about some originality in this show, that's all I'm asking.

e1: *Who probably stole being fat from W. C. Fields or Fatty Arbuckle. Levels and levels of unoriginality :(

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

That's not to excuse that near rape scene though. I think that's what he was going for, but there was surely better ways to show it.

Maybe like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhF7-QreW2I&feature=player_detailpage#t=274

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

I wouldn't go that far. I still think this season has had a lot of stellar moments and mostly high-quality episodes. Just this last one was in very bad taste to me.

Don't you think that was the point? Do you think Louis CK intended that scene to be something the audience was rooting for?

I mean, saying it was in bad taste is the most facile of observations, akin to saying "I found the rape scene in Irreversible somewhat disturbing". Yeah, I should hope so! That's kind of the point of it, and making that observation is the equivalent of saying "I am in fact not too retarded to grasp the basic point of that scene, yay me!"

But stopping there -- mentioning that you understood the blatantly obvious thrust of a scene -- means you're just barely at the lowest level of comprehension of the show. A more astute observation would be, why did Louis CK (as the writer / director) want to disturb us in this way? What does that say about his character (on the show)?

But saying "I dunno about anyone else, but I thought the eye slicing scene in Un Chien Andalou was disturbing!" is not an interesting or original observation at all. Step your game up.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jake Armitage posted:

Yeah guys, just be patient and wait for him to explain his totally disgusting, out of character, right from left field rape scene for poo poo's sake, what's wrong with you guys.

The scene ended with him forcing Pamela to kiss him, and then Louie curling his hand into a fist and hissing out a "yesssssss" when it was over. I think its safe to say it was normalized and trivialized.

I know you are saying there is no outrage here, but for the record, I'm outraged.

[edit] one of the reasons I'm outraged is because a huge chunk of his audience is Reddit neckbeards, and if you think they are going to take away any feminist message or other such nuances from that scene, you're dead wrong.

You're out of your mind and objectively bad at understanding television. To be fair, maybe shows with the iq of True Blood are your normal viewing experience.

Please remember that Louis CK not only acts in this show, he also writes the show. This includes everyone's dialogue -- they're actually reading lines he wrote, not just making stuff up! Pamela running, terrified and frantic, through the apartment, talking about how he was acting like a rapist? Louis CK literally wrote that in the script! The oddly contrasting feminist-tinged stand up bit immediately preceeding that scene, which seems to diametrically oppose that scene tonally? Also written by CK and edited (again by Louis CK) to give it just that position in the show, where it could achieve maximum tonal dissonance from what follows.

Literally the only person in the entire world who thinks that creepy scene was meant to be celebratory is you, which says far more about your personal worldview and issues than it does about Louis CK's. The 'why' of the scene is debatable. The 'what', isn't.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Probably the one thing I'll never understand in TVIV is the person who posts "I hate this show and everything it stands for, and I'll keep telling you so after every episode I keep watching"

There are literally other things to do than watch a tv show you despise. Even beyond just watching another channel! There's like an entire world right outside your door, chock full of things that won't leave you in a bitter rage.

Why anyone would subject themselves to something they hate ... I guess I don't have enough of the masochist streak in me to ever truly comprehend it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Wow how the hell did I not notice that the doctor is Charles Grodin until someone mentioned it?

Because in our minds and our hearts, Charles Grodin always has and always will look like this:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

White Rabbit posted:

Subway is one of the great sequence in the show. The hobo / violin player is such a brilliant bit, and the scene with Pamela at the flea market is also amazing. Perfect balance in terms of drama, conflict, surrealism and straight up funny stuff in that episode.

Now that this is over though I can say I didnt like this season. I'm not disapointed because he obviously cooked something precious to him during those two years, and the show is still interesting, relatable and well shot, but I found the Amia arc painfully unfunny and it tipped the balance between drama and comedy too much for me. Evidently it took too much screentime when we could have had some resolution with Jane's issues at school and more time with Pamela for example.

That's interesting because I thought the Elevator arc was some of the best tv I've ever seen, and I like Pamela's Manic Bitchy Dream Girl storyline much less.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

False equivalence, boss. I don't need the show to condemn behavior I find abhorrent. I just don't enjoy when it acts as if those same bahviors should be rewarded.

Again, maybe there was a message that went over my head, but it really looked like trying to rape a girl means she'll finally give in after you've been persuing her for years, and you'll take a bath together and she'll validate you as a person by accepting who you are, even if she's mean.

I do not, under any circumstances, think this was the message Louie was trying to send. Not at all. But that's how it came across.

Real life is often -- in fact, usually -- more complicated than media messages. Here is a 100% true story of a guy and a girl. They were on their first date. They had similar interests in art, movies, similar outlooks on life. She was the staunchest feminist he had ever met, and not in the "gurl power!" type of feminism, but in old school, women are completely the equal of men way, the type who thought even hyphenating her last name should she get married was silly, let alone taking her husbands last name. After all, she's not his property.

Anyway, they went out on a date and had a good time. They had driven separately but he offered to drive her back to her apartment and she agreed. In the parking lot he kissed her. She kissed back, then pulled away. He looked at her. He knew that no meant no, no always means no. He pulled her to him and kissed her fiercely. He got out of the car, went over to her side, and pulled her out. He dragged her by her hair up a flight of stairs and in the landing, took off her clothes and had sex with her, this staunch feminist, this liberal true believer of women's rights and equality.

One month later they were married. She kept her last name. And they were joyously happy together until her untimely passing 7 years later.

Was she raped?

e: incidentally, I have a real life incident in my life that mirrors a bit from Louis's standup so closely that you'll think I'm plagarizing, but I swear this is true.

So I was 17 or so and worked at the mall. There was this absolutely gorgeous chick who worked at a kiosk right outside the video arcade I worked in. I'd go out and flirt with her a lot, which was easy for me because I simply thought she was out of my league. It's much easier to be cocky / confident, charming when you have no pressure because she's just too drat good looking. Anyway after weeks of chatting her up (without expecting it to go anywhere, like I said), she finally gets frustrated at me not moving forward I guess and asks when I'm going to ask her out already. I instantly segue into "well we're going out tonight right" cause I'm smooth and whatnot, but now I'm stressing.

Anyway, we end up making plans to just go over to her house -- her parents are rich and she lives in a mini mansion type of deal, so her parents are home but like in another drat wing of the house. We watch tv, she ends up stripping down and we're making out, but any time I start to make a move she gets all coy and pulls away. She leads me to another room, which is a guest bedroom type of thing, and the same thing happens again. Finally I get frustrated and ask what the deal is. She's naked, beneath me, and literally says "Why don't you just rape me". I instantly get freaked out and leave immediately.

Not only until much later did I realize that that was really what she wanted: forceful, violent sex. Which sounds bad typing it out because no means no, we all know that, except that some women have different versions of no. I had been passive the whole time but my jerk / cocky behavior at the mall had made her think I was ... well, more assertive.

I think she was embarrassed by the whole thing too because we didn't really talk after that.

So, another question. If I had had sex with her, would that have been rape?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 18, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

verybad posted:

Doesn't everyone? Like, that's what's funny about it.

I was unaware of this.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

If a girl gets dragged by her hair up a flight of stairs and raped, is it really rape?

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that she is the one who proposed to him. She hasn't had an abusive childhood, she wasn't mentally warped or neurotic or damaged. Why did a staunch feminist propose to him if she had been raped, instead of immediately calling the police or at least never talking to him again?

People LOVE to slot everything from music to human behavior into binary categories. THIS Beatles record is psychedelic, THAT one isn't. THIS behavior is unquestionably wrong (except, apparently, to the people engaged in that behavior) , THAT behavior (and only that behavior) is morally acceptable. Reality has blurrier, fuzzy lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I disagree with No Wave on pretty much everything but I hated Gaspar Noe's Irreversible. I wouldn't say that it was a "waste of film" though, just that it depicted ugliness and negativity so well that it made me ill and I wish I hadn't seen it.

Maybe it wasn't that I hated it inasmuch as I hated the experience of watching it.

I had kind of the same reaction the first time I watched Miike's 'Audition'. I thought about it for several days and realized that that is one of the purposes of art; not to reaffirm things we believe and think and to simply act as an echo chamber, but to present alternate viewpoints and challenge our assumptions. That, imo, is literally one of the core missions of art. Art shouldn't, or at least shouldn't always, be safe and comforting. It should feel a little dangerous, a little reckless, it should present the world in a way I might not have otherwise considered.

Looking at Audition and Irreversible in that light, I think they're both great movies.

• Locked thread