Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mcbexx posted:

Holy poo poo Charles Grodin got old.

:aaa:

You just blew my loving mind, I had absolutely no idea that that was Charles Grodin. But he was really good as Doctor That Doesn't Give a gently caress.

Anyway, this season's still looking great. The first one wasn't all that good, but the second was some of the funniest television I've ever seen. Louie can die harder (on purpose) than any comedian out there, and it's amazing every time. I had to actually look away from the screen it was so uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

nutranurse posted:

When he was in the coffee shop talking to his friend about his kid and that one young dude texting just walked into Louie and kept on walking without looking up? Hilarious. Especially Louie's annoyed, but resigned reaction.

It killed me when he just sort of paused for a second, and helped push the guy along while still listening and nodding.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It reminded me of that one bit he did about being so broke that it just starts to become funny.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

nutranurse posted:

...but he doesn't use the vibrator to masturbate, but to massage his aching back because he's getting old.

Are you sure about that? Because at the end he's kind of sheepishly looking around his apartment, like he's making sure if he hears the kids awake or not. I think the implication is that the receptionist gave him the excuse he needed to buy a vibrator without actually buying "a vibrator". The back pain part was just incidental, and it's an added bonus that it relieves his back pain.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Darko posted:

The issue with the rant is that it kept subject-jumping, making it hard to button down to a single thing that can be agreed with or not. As such, it is very real life rant-like, but it also means that some points may be more poignant than others. There is no singular point of the whole speech; it makes around 4 different statements in it; some better than others.

While this is true, the core statement was about the treatment of women, not fat people. But everyone here was making it into solely an issue on being overweight vs. being fit, which was a statement covered in that monologue but not the main one. At best it was a secondary concern, the primary one was inequality of the sexes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

...'kay.

I'm not really sure what that has to do with what I posted.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well no, the speech wasn't solely about the different factors of attractiveness. There was also something in there about how women's sole worth as human beings is based on how physically attractive they are. That's why Louie felt he had to reassure Vanessa that she wasn't fat. He thought he was being kind, but what he was really saying was "Your body weight is the only measure of value as a person, because you're a woman".

Louie may feel that his own value is based on his weight, but what he doesn't realize, and what Vanessa tries to explain, is that for men it doesn't matter. Other men don't really judge him. Women (for the most part), don't really judge him unless he's being pathetic about it. Women can tell men they're not attracted to them, because men can be valued for other things. Men have to avoid telling women they're not physically attracted to them, because if a woman isn't physically attractive she's subhuman. And that's what the speech was saying, primarily.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

Clearly she has value beyond her looks within the episode.

I'm not saying that she doesn't. I'm saying that Louie's internalized this attitude that women only have value if men find them physically attractive.

You're kind of deflecting everything I'm saying so that it fits whatever you believe, which I guess in this case is "sexism is over" or something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Darko posted:

Louie's execution of some of his societal points varies - this one was a pretty mixed bag because it wasn't focused enough, and half of the points were very arguable.

Yeah, I think someone else (maybe you) said that her speech was pretty broad so you could really project any message onto it. I was mostly extrapolating what she said about how men feel the need to rush in and say that a woman "isn't fat" because if a woman believes she's fat she must be suicidal or something.

Darko posted:

Louie's weight doesn't matter as much because his success will override that with more women.

That'd be a fair point if Louis C.K. the actual person were the same as Louis C.K. the character on the show "Louie", but we don't necessarily know that this is the case. In real-life Louis C.K. is pretty famous and well-off. On the show he's moderately well-off but doesn't seem to be all that well known except among his circle of comedian friends and personal acquaintances.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

I really enjoyed the scene of Louie and his ex-wife standing silently in the hall. I really felt like they were two people that knew each other so well that there was an entire unsaid conversation in those brief moments.

You know, I didn't really think of that episode as a "message" episode but if there's anything to take away from it, it's that the concept of Dangerous Strangers is really pretty silly. 90% or so of the people you see day-to-day, even in a huge city, are harmless folks, and are probably a lot more like you than you realize.

I mean, I can totally see where a parent would be absolutely terrified for the safety of their child in a situation like that, but even when we're shown an unseen stranger trying to console Louie's daughter it turns out to be nothing. It was just some guy checking on a kid who was alone at a subway platform. And when Louie is going into the woman's apartment, he's just there to help the lady in the elevator, but from the niece's perspective he's a dangerous intruder. It's fine to be cautious, but it's not really healthy to assume that everybody is dangerous, because most people really aren't. They're just people.

beanieson posted:

nah, "brother louie" was first recorded in the early 70s

By total coincidence, I was buying a bunch of 45s one time, and one of them happened to be of that song. This was after I'd seen the show, and as soon as I saw that in the lot I had to put it on and play it. Man, I miss that as the opening song, and I wonder why it was taken out.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 15, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

If every 1 in 10 people on the street are dangerous, that's a lot of dangerous people.

Oh hey, now we're nitpicking fake percentages people pulled out of their rear end to make a point :v:

The point wasn't the number, the point was that the majority of people out there are harmless. There are a lot more general assholes then there are genuinely "bad" or dangerous people.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

...well, come to think of it it does kind of undermine the point you're trying to make if in the previous episode we see "schlubby everyman" Louie being totally familiar with Jerry Seinfeld like they're old friends, and then going on to gently caress Yvonne Strahovski.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jake Armitage posted:

He gives her a $1200 purse or pays off some $1200 debt or something which guilts her into spending a day with him. When she gives him the "look, its not that you aren't a great guy, because you are" speech after he won't ease up, he gets angry and aggressive and lectures her for 15 minutes about what a piece of poo poo example of society she is because she won't have a relationship with him.

Except you forget the part where he says, quite casually, that it's because he's fat, and then she says "no, you're not fat", and then Louie goes on a rant that's not about gender politics but instead about how fat men can't date hot women because blah blah entitlement, men's rights, blah.

If you swap the genders it turns into something completely different. It doesn't matter if you can't see that it's different, it is. Men and women are not on an equal playing field when it comes to dating, and how they're treated by the opposite sex. I'm not going to go into the whys because it's already been discussed over and over in a circular argument, ad nauseum.

edit: Also you added "beautiful"... which changes it even further. Louis C.K. is not a bad looking guy but he's not ruggedly handsome. It'd be more like if Louie and Vanessa's roles in the episode were reversed, and she was the successful comedian and he were just somebody who worked at the club.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 16, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Oof, I forgot what an rear end in a top hat Pamela is.

Yeah, the last time we see her you could almost chalk her belittling of Louie and dickish behavior up to a kind of harmless ribbing. But now she just seems like a huge, needy rear end in a top hat who got knocked down and now she's trying to hook up with Louie on the rebound and is trying to manipulate him into dating her. I was actually proud of Louie for not falling for it, he just listens to what she has to say and then walks away.

But drat, I'm kind of dreading the inevitable crash with the current relationship because Louie seems so happy right now :ohdear:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Pretty much sums up that circular argument that I really hope we don't start having again.

Feminazi stole my ice cream, then she got fat on it!! :qq:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

This show was never a laugh-a-minute, jokey sitcom from the very beginning, so I'm wondering what all the people complaining are actually expecting out of the show. Like, why did they start watching, why are they still watching? I could understand fans of Louis C.K.'s stand-up to want to laugh as hard as they do during his stand-up bits, but that was never what the show was really focused on. You'd think eventually the people wanting a funny show would give up.

Or maybe that's why this thread isn't that popular, maybe most did give up. I for one am still liking the show, and I thought that this season was better than last (although the David Lynch episodes were Great TV).

Alright, that was pretty funny.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Nobody complained that the show didn't spontaneously become a laugh-a-minute, jokey sitcom after three seasons of not being that.

You mean aside from the people saying that this season was "not funny", like that was their biggest complaint?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mutation posted:

And it's the result of Louie channeling the negative emotions of Amia leaving onto her.

This, and he was operating under the false assumption that everybody is exactly the same and handles interpersonal relationships the same. The moves he made on Amia worked because Amia felt the same about Louie as he did about her (which is confirmed in the restaurant scene). He thought that he could pull the same thing on Pamela and she'd "come around", but the key thing is that Pamela is not Amia. Louie is trying to make her into an Amia surrogate and it's not working, so him forcing himself onto her was really creepy and wrong.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

What the gently caress, those were some of the best episodes of the whole show.

Those two episodes were like part of a really good coming-of-age movie. If they condensed them down and then added a bunch of other poo poo that happened to Young Louie when he was 13, that'd make a great film.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"Devoid" of humor? Charles Grodin's character alone was one of the funniest things the show has ever done. There were other parts too which were at least mildly humorous. To say this show has gone into serious melodrama is a pretty big overstatement.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

You've heard Seinfeld say oval office, human being, and friend of the family?

The thread title always makes me chuckle a little when I read it, because of Jerry Seinfeld working so clean that even off-stage he can't bring himself to say "poo poo".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

You get that guy again in most of Elevator when he acts in a way that's sympathetic to no one...

Yes, because nobody in the history of the world has ever been kind, or put themselves in vulnerable positions and set themselves up for hurt because they wanted to give their love to someone.

But I'll agree that Season 3 was incredibly weak. I don't even really remember what happened that season, at all, I just remember barely paying attention to it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

An expectation that people like it when you act like a pathetic sadsack wuss?

Yeah, except Louie wasn't acting then. His "act" was when he was groping Pamela and getting rough and assertive with her because he thought that was what she wanted, and that it was the only way to move forward in their relationship.

And then there's this:

quote:

Didn't really understand the weird gender reversal that Louie has in Pamela part 3, when he acts like a huge loser again instead of coolguy.

So, the first thing... am I reading this correctly? You think that men are all supposed to be Pamelas and all women should be Louies? You think men are all emotionally repressed, and assertive, and need to take charge all the time, and women are all overemotional, "pathetic" (your words) and weak?

Second thing, when was Louie a cool guy? When he was groping and tearing at Pamela's clothes in the first part? Because it sounds like that's what you were getting at. You seemed to like Part 1 a lot more than the other parts.

edit: Also yeah, all shows should just completely be Dudebros picking up women by being Coolguys, none of that messy, "ugly" human emotion poo poo. I mean... yuck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I disagree with No Wave on pretty much everything but I hated Gaspar Noe's Irreversible. I wouldn't say that it was a "waste of film" though, just that it depicted ugliness and negativity so well that it made me ill and I wish I hadn't seen it.

Maybe it wasn't that I hated it inasmuch as I hated the experience of watching it.

• Locked thread